Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well when i was at the dr the other day she did a blood test to screen my allergens , well i called to get the results and she says well your allergic to almost everything,

pollen , hay , ragweed, dust mites, cat dander , dog dander, and a whole mess of other things , she said she will mail me the results since their are just so many..

well ive always had seasonal allergies .. when i was a kid i always had cats and had a few dogs ,, and all was fine , after a few yrs i developed horrible cat allergies meaning i cant be in the same place where there is a cat or my eyes swell n i start itching etc , and there are some dogs that cause me bad allergies.. well she was telling me that im allergic to my dog .. well maybe .. i think i only get real bad with him when he licks me n i touch my eyes but other than that im fine .. now not having dolce is out of the question . and i honestly dont think he triggers my allergies cause if that was the case i would be getting allergy attacks whenever he is around me n thats not the case ,, he even sleeps with me and i highly dount he will get used to sleeping anywhere else. lol so my question is .. does anyone here suffer from allergies ? anyone here allergic to their fluff ?
what would you do to minimize the dander?

any tips suggestions ? is there a special shampoo i can use that would minimize the allergens?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I have asthama, induced by allergies, and like you, am allergic to almost everything, including furbabies :(:(:(:(:( But thank heaven, never any of the Malts I have ever had. But I still have allergies, seasonal, and my asthma kicks up, but I do go to an Allergist.

I suffer with it more when I am outside, not with the kids. And when I go the shelters, forget it, I can feel my lungs closing up.

It may not be Dolce. I would see an Allergist if you can, and see what they reccomend, or be retested to see what you are still allergic to.

I've been lucky with mine, so lucky, so I feel for you. I LOVE Beagles sooooo much, but in minutes of me petting them, I'm itching, coughing.

Maybe start from the beginning and give your allergist a call.

(hugs).

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what my regular dr suggested for me to go to an allergist . i seriously dont think its dolce cause i kiss him and i snuggle with him and i do not sneeze or anything.. if its other types of dogs as soon as im in the same room i get an attack , same w cats , i figure if i was allergic to dolce i would be miserable all day n im not..

well i must say after i got the allergy shot ive definitely felt much better.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I think you may want to have Dolce sleep in his own bed - believe me, they get used to it and sometimes even prefer it. Sure he will cry in teh begining, but you have to be a strong mommy. It's kinds cute to watch Aolani go straight to his bed when he's sleepy and he makes his little nest (sometimes that takes minutes though lol) and finally goes to sleep for the night.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
thats what my regular dr suggested for me to go to an allergist . i seriously dont think its dolce cause i kiss him and i snuggle with him and i do not sneeze or anything.. if its other types of dogs as soon as im in the same room i get an attack , same w cats , i figure if i was allergic to dolce i would be miserable all day n im not..

well i must say after i got the allergy shot ive definitely felt much better.
Yup, that's how I am. I can love on my babies and they sleep with me, well Mr. Leo sleeps in his cave bed, but am around them constantly. But let me go near and play and love on a short hair breed, and it all starts for me. I don't know which breeds. Bichons are fine, I have no trouble with them. My BIL's Jack Russel, not a problem, which is odd.

But I never had a problem with a Maltese. Oh so glad you feel better after your shots.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
edith ive tried but hes so used to it , he takes me to bed at 11 when GH finishes he barks to get off the couch .. he goes to the pee pad pees , drinks water , and walks to the room n he barks to be put on the bed. on occasion i have tried to put him in his bed which is in the kitchen n he will bark his lil head off. if i leave him with the girls , he will bark til i go get him or he will sit in front of my door.. :(

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
edith ive tried but hes so used to it , he takes me to bed at 11 when GH finishes he barks to get off the couch .. he goes to the pee pad pees , drinks water , and walks to the room n he barks to be put on the bed. on occasion i have tried to put him in his bed which is in the kitchen n he will bark his lil head off. if i leave him with the girls , he will bark til i go get him or he will sit in front of my door.. :(

Awww bless his little heart. Just make sure what is making your allergies flare up, for some reason, I doubt it's Dolce. Just like you, I can tell straight away, when I am allergic to a furbaby. Maybe go to the allergist, like your PD suggested. Not saying it is Dolce, but I think you would know by now.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Hmmm, maybe you can put his bed next to yours? That's what I do and lately I've even found Aolani choosing to sleep in his lounge bed in the next room overnight - guess he's demonstrating his independence LOL. The only reason I say to put him on his own bed is becuase maybe you are not allergic to him, but something on him from teh environment - could be on his paws or his hair.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im going to try that ..another question ... how often do u wash ur fluffs bedding ? and where ? do u use ur own washer or go outside to laundromat to wash?
Hmmm, maybe you can put his bed next to yours? That's what I do and lately I've even found Aolani choosing to sleep in his lounge bed in the next room overnight - guess he's demonstrating his independence LOL. The only reason I say to put him on his own bed is becuase maybe you are not allergic to him, but something on him from teh environment - could be on his paws or his hair.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I'm having allergy problems too. It's been worse this yr because we're in a severe drought & dust is everywhere. I'm also allergic to cats but never had a problem with dogs. I said "had" because this yr it got weird. Everytime I groom the fluffs, I start to sneeze & my eyes get all itchy. It's gotten worse as the yr progressed. Since I'm fine with the fluffs until I brush them,blowdry or give haircuts, I'm wondering if it's not actually them but the pollens & dust that get in their hair instead. I use Flonase for my allergies & it works pretty good but after a while my nose starts to get a bit irritated since it's a nasal spray.So I have to take a break from it. That's when my symptoms really kick in.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I doubt it's Dolce. Maybe try putting his bed in your room by the door. Rocky refuses to sleep with us. He likes his sectional in the livingroom, LOL.
Did you try taking an allergy medication? Like most have said already, I think you should go to an allergist too. Good luck, allergies are so bothersome. I have itchy, dry eyes a lot. Now I use eye drops almost every day this time of year.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Hi there,

Yes I have the same issues :( I used to have cats then became really allergic to them. I used to know the minute they came into the room. It was awful. I am also allergic to most dogs. If I am in the same room as them for long I get really sick for the rest of the day. Massive sinus or migraine headache.

I haven't been to an allergist for years but really think I should. I am allergic to so many things though. Like you, I get really bad headaches from it too, which are really hard to take. I wouldn't mind the sniffles but it doesn't work like that for me. :(

Lately I have been using a Sinus rinse, especially when I have been outdoors for an extended period, that has helped.

I do think I may be slightly allergic to Lola. When my Bichon was right near my face I felt nothing at all, but with Lola I can feel a little something. She doesn't sleep with me fortunately, (I have never liked to have pets in my bed) but she is a snuggle bug and likes to be on my chest :wub:

I will be interested to see what other things you find out. I hope you feel better.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank u all for ur inputs .. i presently use allegra d , i had the shot n thats working , and i have also used flonase and nasonex which sometimes work sometimes dont.. and allergy drops for my eyes , because out of everything thats the most uncomfortable thing for me as i use contacts.

i will definitely seek an allergist to see what i can do .. and good luck to all my fellow allergy sufferers it sure sucks.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I used to see this nutritionist in NYC that helped me / my son with his allergies. He explained that all allergic reactions are due to depleted adrenal glands, and if your adrenal glands are healthy, then you won't have the reaction. I forget what foods build your adrenal glands, I know he gave me a supplement that was more or less (if memory serves me) freeze dried adrenal glands from cows? I think. The diet he had me on was mono-protein (no dairy and beef so no cheeseburgers, or any two proteins), no sugar, no salt (no fun, either) but the difference in how I felt 30 days later was amazing. Somewhere in my house I have the book that he based this on, the research behind it was really interesting.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
My husband is allergic to the bigger dogs we've had. They are not allowed in the bedroom or on the couch. This makes a huge difference and keeps us all happy. Bathing them more frequently and keeping their feathering trimmed up also helped.
If you are allergic to dog saliva limit your dog to licking your hand and then wash them after. This will help quite a bit.
If your dog licks himself remember the saliva is not on the hair/skin. Wiping your dog frequently with a clean wet rag can help quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
I'm allergic to dogs and cats but I'm fine with Perri and Andre (Bichon). Sometimes my eyes will get a little itchy and I'll feel stuffy after blow drying Perri from the dander flying around I guess, but that's it. I did allergy testing last year and got on immune therapy drops made from the things you're allergic to. You just squirt it in your mouth-easier than shots. The concentration is slowly increased and after a few years you're supposed to be tested again and you should be "cured." We'll see but at least I no longer have to take an allergy pill everyday. The company that makes them is called allergy choices-you could contact them if interested to find a dr in your area that works with them.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Liza - so sorry you're feeling so bad. My DS has many allergies and goes into asthma attacks around cats but luckily has been fine with Tyler:) A few months ago I was having some itchy problems with the skin around my eyes. Couldn't figure it out. Tyler sleeps on our bed and in the middle of the night strolls up to between our pillows. Well I'm allergic to formaldehyde and realized that the shampoo I was using on him at the time had formaldehyde (quaternium). I changed it right away and in a few weeks it went away and now, no problem. Check Dolce's shampoo and conditioner and see if there might be something in it that you're allergic to. May have flower extracts that could trigger allergies. I would try to put his bed in your room, maybe a treat or toy before going to sleep and try to stand strong. it would help lessen reactions if there's something on him or his paws, etc. I have an allergist in Manhattan but I'm assuming you'll want someone near where you live. I'm wondering if an allergist could do a custom test for you with Dolce's hair that they could make into a skin test or saliva somehow.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Hi Liza,

I have allergies also (to pretty much everything) and asthma.
Also, anaphylaxis.

There are prob more allergies sufferers on this forum as that is part of what drew us to the Maltese breed.

That's great that you had the allergy testing done.

Do you have an air purifier in the house? With a hepa filter?
Also, do the ducts in your place need to be cleaned?

Minimize carpet if you can (as it holds dust).
Replace your pillow more often than most people.
Try using a zippered cover around it, then put the pillow case on it.

Laundry detergents: Unscented and no dryer sheets.

Close the windows when neighbours are grass cutting.

I take allergy meds before I go to bed as it can be a bit sedating.
I use the nasal sprays too but they can cause nosebleeds.

I am not allergic to my girls.
Allthough, there was a Maltese Mix that I had wanted to adopt last year but I was allergic & asthmatic to her.
It was the "mix" part of her that I must have reacted to.
I feel that I would have been able to cope okay with the mild allergy, but asthma is not something to willingly provoke...

I do sneeze from cleaning the dog potty a few times a day,
so I do react to the urine of my two.
But I keep it very clean and use Nature's Miracle.
I suppose wearing a mask would be advised, but I don't.

As for Dolce, if he licks you, do you get hives?
When, you snuggle him do you ever sneeze or get a runny nose?

Hopefully, you are either not allergic to him or only a tiny bit.

And if you are just a tiny bit allergic to allergic to him,
maybe your tolerance will build up to wear you no longer feel any reaction. :)

Sorry, I just wrote a book! ;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have allergies not to Max but highly allergic to cats. Just make sure you wash your hands and don't rub your eyes and man it helps alot. It a simple thing to do. I use happy planet hypo allergic wipes for Max since I don't like any purfumey smells when it comes to wipes if he goes outside. I know you can always use baby wipes but I don't like the smell. He has cottoney fur. It helps since he is mainly an indoor dog.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts