Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kitzi has been refusing to "pee" (except for once every 24 hrs and by then he is in such pain he is whimpering & crying) since his surgery 3 1/2 days ago. We took him back to the vet today---who said "this is normal for the little sensitive ones" and gave him a pain shot. He is still doing it tonight & since I have never seen this behavior before in a male who was neutered, I need to hear from anyone who has experienced this! He has no fever, his stitches look fine and he is eating okay---he also doesn't want to drink anything except chicken broth.
Any ideas?
He is on an antibiotic.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
I'm sorry Sandi. :smcry: I can't imagine one pee a day for these guys. No, I didn't have that with Tyler. I had the opposite..didn't stop going but it wasn't pee if you know what I mean. The vet isn't worried though?

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Poor little guy. I've never had that happen with any of my neutered dogs. They've always bounced back really quickly, with very little discomfort. I'm sorry Kitzi is having this problem. Hope he's better real soon.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yikes! Poor baby!!! I assume the surgery was a neuter, and I have never heard of that. Preston was 4 pounds when he was neutered and he had a descinded testicle but no problems. IF you trust your vet, then just keep giving him chicken broth and wait for him to be better. If you don't, get a second opinion!

·
Premium Member
17,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it was a neuter. He is about 5 pounds (2 kilos). I do trust my vet but sometimes I know they are human & don't know everything. I do not find this kind of behavior within the "normal" range---unfortunately I am not in the US and finding another vet is out of the question. What I need is someone's experience that might help direct me to what it could be. I will see her again on Mon. if it persists but he seems in pain and I hate to let it go---that is why I took him in today!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
There may be some soreness and since he is a sensitive one he might feel the need to let you know. If he doesn't feel better by Monday I would see the vet again.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Does he only cry when he has to urinate? Does his tummy feel distended?

I feel terribly bad for both you and the little guy - as I know when our fluffs suffer, we do also.

I know I haven't been of help - but I do want you to know that I will be thinking of you.

Allie

·
Premium Member
17,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does he only cry when he has to urinate? Does his tummy feel distended?

I feel terribly bad for both you and the little guy - as I know when our fluffs suffer, we do also.

I know I haven't been of help - but I do want you to know that I will be thinking of you.

Allie
Thanks Allie,
We (hubby & I) are sitting here listening to the whimpering cries---he isn't lifting his leg (as the vet suggested the pain comes from) he is simply lying under the table crying almost w/out ceasing. We feel awful that we don't know what to do. Since he had a pain shot at 1:00 pm which is suppose to last for 24 hrs. we can't give him anything. Last night I gave him simethecone (for babies gas pains).
Short answer to your ?---no it isn't JUST when he urinates--but it is worse then. He did finally & with much "theater" pee about 1/2 hr. ago but is still in pain.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Are you giving him syringes of water? I would to make sure that he gets enough fluids. I feel so bad for you but I've never heard of this problem after neutering. Prayers being sent your way.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Thanks Allie,
We (hubby & I) are sitting here listening to the whimpering cries---he isn't lifting his leg (as the vet suggested the pain comes from) he is simply lying under the table crying almost w/out ceasing. We feel awful that we don't know what to do. Since he had a pain shot at 1:00 pm which is suppose to last for 24 hrs. we can't give him anything. Last night I gave him simethecone (for babies gas pains).
Short answer to your ?---no it isn't JUST when he urinates--but it is worse then. He did finally & with much "theater" pee about 1/2 hr. ago but is still in pain.

Oh gosh, I am so sorry. That must be horrible for all of you. Is he eating and drinking as normal? Has he had a bowel movement?

The area doesn't look sore or anything, I think that's what you said, right?

I am praying for your little guy and you.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Oh Sandi,

I am so sorry - I can sense the pain that you are feeling in your posts' -

I, too, have tears streaming down my face just thinking of how you feel/

You are doing everything possible. I cannot speculate as to what this might be - but you know what - I am going to call my vet right now - he is my husbands fishing buddy.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know it's normal for everyone (including people) to urinate after anethesia. People usually have catheters and can't leave the hospital until they pee. Given the location of his surgery and the fact that he was under for a bit of time, I can see that discomfort and not peeing much could be seen as normal. I'm no expert but just thinking about it.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh Sandi,

I am so sorry - I can sense the pain that you are feeling in your posts' -

I, too, have tears streaming down my face just thinking of how you feel/

You are doing everything possible. I cannot speculate as to what this might be - but you know what - I am going to call my vet right now - he is my husbands fishing buddy.
Allie you are awesome. I'm trying to reach out to people too who may know. Just hope they are there.

Love you Allie and Sandi, hang tight. Much love.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Our vet did not answer. But I did call the 24 hr. Hospital.

The vet tech said that the shot that he had should last 24 hours.

She did say that some fluffs are sensitive to pain. She said YES, she has seen many little fluffs that are sensitive to pain - he's not the first - poor little guy.

She said yes, keep offering him chicken broth (NO salt, NO fat) -

She also said you could try a warm compress on the area.

She also said - DO NOT give him anything more for pain, unless your vet tells you to.

Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Just now seeing this.....if you touch him around his bladder area, does he wimper?? When CeeCee had her only litter of pups, my breeder said that the vet nicked her bladder during ememgency surgery. If he is on antibiotics, does he think it is a bladder or kidney infection? If he keeps this up, I think I would get a second opinion. Bless his little heart!! See how he is tomorrow and if he is still like this, take him to an emergency vet. So very sorry you are having to deal with this!:wub:

·
Registered
7,915 Posts

She did say that some fluffs are sensitive to pain. She said YES, she has seen many little fluffs that are sensitive to pain - he's not the first - poor little guy.

She also said - DO NOT give him anything more for pain, unless your vet tells you to.

Keep us posted

Oh Allie, that is a releif. I just sent a message to a Vet I know, but not sure if he is there. But awesome Allie.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts

Keep us posted

Oh Allie, that is a releif. I just sent a message to a Vet I know, but not sure if he is there. But awesome Allie.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts