Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell us what health issues you have been having with your Maltese, and Cate, our degreed, registered veterinary technician on staff will answer your questions! Cate will be answering health questions for the next week, and for select SpoiledMaltesers, we will provide some of our products at Royal Pet Club for free if we think it can help out your pet! So post away and we will get back to you as quickly as we can!

About Cate Burnett:
Cate Burnette, RVT, is a degreed, registered veterinary technician with both small and large animal clinical experience. As the owner of two cats, four dogs, and one ex-racehorse, she now writes about her passion for animals in hopes of sharing her knowledge with pet parents everywhere. Her articles on dogs and pet health have appeared on eHow, Livestrong, Answerbag, and The Daily Puppy.

Disclaimer: Our responses are for informational purposes only. In order to get an accurate diagnosis, we recommend seeing a local, registered veterinarian that can evaluate your pet in person.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is. My name is Cate Burnette. I'm a registered, degreed veterinary technician and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about medications, health, nutrition, etc. Any questions I can't answer...I'll tell you honestly and refer you to your veterinarian.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
What type of shampoo would you recommend for skin allergies? Bailey has been licking her paws like crazy recently and I have noticed a rash under her 2 front legs. I recently bought her some priobotics because I heard it was good for skin.

·
Premium Member
15,980 Posts
My Violet was seen by my vet and I was told that she had conjunctivitis. An ointment was prescribed to use it for three days, twice a day. Her eyes cleared up right away. Now 1 week later she has the yellow goo in her eyes again. Can I use the ointment again? Should I wait awhile to use it?

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Ok i will definetly give this a shot at least i will get my question answered:thumbsup:

Romeo is my male maltese he is 22 months. He eats grain free natural balance Potato & Duck hard food and i mix Mericks Cowboy cookout wet food with it.. he will only eat once a day doesnt matter how small i tried to make his meals so he will eat more. Bottom line is hes always scooting on his but or constipated takes him 15 minutes to poop. I bought him pumpkin and i give him 1/2 tsp in his meal everyday for the last week. Is it his food? what causes him to become so constipated and scoot so much hes always had this problem since i can remember. I dont have the groomer express his glands because i was told thats not good to let it happen normally. He doesnt have worms he gets checked for that every 6 months when its time for a check up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What type of shampoo would you recommend for skin allergies? Bailey has been licking her paws like crazy recently and I have noticed a rash under her 2 front legs. I recently bought her some priobotics because I heard it was good for skin.
Hi, Bailey.

I would suggest first trying an oatmeal based shampoo and conditioner to sooth her skin. Oatmeal treats inflammation (the redness and rash you're seeing), helps the skin retain moisture, and will soothe the itchiness. Its similar to the old-time treatments of an oatmeal bath that people used to treat kids who got chicken pox (you may not be old enough to remember that, but I sure do.)

The other thing you might check is to see if she's allergic to grass. This is particularly common in these little dogs with fair skin and fine hair. Try wiping her feet and underneath her belly and groin with aloe-treated baby wipes every time she comes inside from being on the grass. That will get rid of a lot of the allergens that she may be picking up from outside.

Good idea on the probiotics by the way. That works on both the inside and outside of your little dog and allows the nutrients in her food to better serve her body.

If you notice her starting to get sores or hot spots, please be sure to take her to your vet for treatment. Your vet may also be able to recommend an allergenic food -- of course, if its food allergies, she will need to be tested.

Hope this helps.

Cate

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have two issues with Bella (who will be six months old on June 25th):

1. She eats her poop. We have tried "For-Bid" which we got from the vet and have also tried the stuff from PetSmart. Neither worked. We just started putting hot sauce on her poop in the hopes she will not like the taste of that. It makes her sneeze, but if we let the hot sauce dry (by not picking up the poop right away), she will still eat it.

2. She has horrible tear stains. Have tried angel eyes and we wash her face every day. She is still teething -- could that be what's causing the staining?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Violet was seen by my vet and I was told that she had conjunctivitis. An ointment was prescribed to use it for three days, twice a day. Her eyes cleared up right away. Now 1 week later she has the yellow goo in her eyes again. Can I use the ointment again? Should I wait awhile to use it?
Hi Mom,

Go ahead and use the ointment. It appears the conjunctivitis did not clear up and is back from what you're telling me.

But first, I would suggest buying a sterile saline solution at your local drugstore (find it in the contact lens aisle) and clean her eyes with the saline first. This will get rid of any yellow discharge and clear the way for the medication.

If you'll let me know what kind of meds your doctor prescribed, I can tell you how long and how often to continue medicating with them.

Cate

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok i will definetly give this a shot at least i will get my question answered:thumbsup:

Romeo is my male maltese he is 22 months. He eats grain free natural balance Potato & Duck hard food and i mix Mericks Cowboy cookout wet food with it.. he will only eat once a day doesnt matter how small i tried to make his meals so he will eat more. Bottom line is hes always scooting on his but or constipated takes him 15 minutes to poop. I bought him pumpkin and i give him 1/2 tsp in his meal everyday for the last week. Is it his food? what causes him to become so constipated and scoot so much hes always had this problem since i can remember. I dont have the groomer express his glands because i was told thats not good to let it happen normally. He doesnt have worms he gets checked for that every 6 months when its time for a check up.
Hi R&J,

The food you're feeding Romeo may not have enough moisture for him. I might suggest mixing in a little water with it and letting it sit until the hard food has slightly softened before giving it to him. The pumpkin is a good thing, and, if he likes it like most dogs do, just continue giving it. It certainly can't hurt if it helps him stay regular, plus it also provides with him with vitamin C.

It really sounds like his anal glands may be impacted and not producing enough of the liquid necessary to help his feces leave his body. That is the function of those glands -- the nasty smelling liquid they produce serves as a lubricant in the anus to help feces come out.

I suggest that you take Romeo to your vet to get his glands expressed. The vet will probably do an internal expression which is more likely to get all the nastiness out of those glands -- and might be something your groomer doesn't know how to do, or is reluctant to perform. The liquid can actually dehydrate to the consistency of peanut butter and be very hard for you little dog to express on his own.

Normally, you won't need to do this ever on some dogs. On others, with anal gland issues, the glands need to be expressed by a professional on a fairly regular basis.

Hope this helps,

Cate

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have two issues with Bella (who will be six months old on June 25th):

1. She eats her poop. We have tried "For-Bid" which we got from the vet and have also tried the stuff from PetSmart. Neither worked. We just started putting hot sauce on her poop in the hopes she will not like the taste of that. It makes her sneeze, but if we let the hot sauce dry (by not picking up the poop right away), she will still eat it.

2. She has horrible tear stains. Have tried angel eyes and we wash her face every day. She is still teething -- could that be what's causing the staining?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi Maltese#1 fan,

I'll answer #2 first. The teething could definitely contribute to the increased staining. As you know, Maltese with their big eyes and white fur are particularly susceptible to staining, but teething can exacerbate the problem. Because the adult teeth are so close to your little dog's sinus cavities and tear ducts, the inflammation caused by erupting adult teeth can mean that her nose is a trifle snotty, and her tears flow more frequently....just as you see in human babies. I would wait until all her teeth are in to see if the staining decreases any. The Angel Eyes should work fine until we see what happens then.

Okay, #1. Poop eating, called coprophagia, is a nasty habit that is a real bugaboo to beat. I'm not sure the hot sauce will do much except possibly upsetting her stomach once she eats it...which could make the whole situation even worse if she get diarrhea. Picking up the poop immediately will help, but you already know that. You didn't say what kind of food she's eating, but dogs will eat the poop if it contains a lot of fat or carbs just because it seems to taste better to them (which is why some dogs go for cat poop).

Check the content of her food. If the fat and carb levels are high, try switching her slowly to a food with more protein. You'll need to mix in the new food with the old, slowly increasing the percentage of new over a week to 10 days to keep her tummy from getting upset.

Let me know if this helps,

Cate

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Ollie scratches his ears and shakes his head among other spots he scratches. He is losing his hair in those areas. I feed him NB Sweet Potato & Bison, but am changing him to CN Grain Free Salmon & Peas. He gets a Digestive Enzyme every day as well as a supplement for his skin & coat. We have tried all the prescription allergy meds as well as Zyrtec and Benadryl. Nothing seems to stop the scratching. The vet checked his ears and said he doesn't have mites. Any advice would be appreciated. I love being a part of SM!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Have you gotten Ollie on the California Natural yet, Donna? I really hope that helps him. It seems like Malts don't tolerate sweet potatoes too well. Also, Espree Tea Tree Oil shampoo has really helped Zooey's itchiness this season.

Cate, I'm curious why so many Maltese have allergies--is this inherent in the breed, or is it more environmental?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ointment is Triple A/B Ophthalmic-HC
Hi Mom,

Okay, I'm going to revise what I earlier told you based on the type of meds you've been prescribed.

Because the ointment contains hydrocortisone, a corticosteroid, you really don't want to give it again without checking with your veterinarian. Typically, with that type of medication you should have seen improvement within 48 hrs. of starting treatment. Because of the steroid involved you don't want to take a chance of overmedicating, so please call your vet and see if they would advise you continuing with the meds you have. They may do so, and you're okay to go, or they may recommend another antibiotic.

I apologize for not asking you about the meds earlier...my answer would have been different.

I still recommend using a sterile saline solution before administering any meds, however, as cleaning away the initial mucus can only allow whatever meds you use to be more effective.

Cate

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ollie scratches his ears and shakes his head among other spots he scratches. He is losing his hair in those areas. I feed him NB Sweet Potato & Bison, but am changing him to CN Grain Free Salmon & Peas. He gets a Digestive Enzyme every day as well as a supplement for his skin & coat. We have tried all the prescription allergy meds as well as Zyrtec and Benadryl. Nothing seems to stop the scratching. The vet checked his ears and said he doesn't have mites. Any advice would be appreciated. I love being a part of SM!
Hi Munch,

***cute pic of you and Ollie.

I think changing to grain free is a good idea. A lot of dogs with sensitive skin, like ALL Maltese, do better with a grain-free diet. The allergens in the grain seem to exacerbate any skin problems they may have.

I think you're on the right track with digestive enzymes and coat and skin supplements. Anything to keep our little guys healthy.

As for Ollie's ears, if he's allergic to the grain in his food, going grain-free should help with the ear itching. The other thing you can try is using baby wipes with aloe to clean his feet, belly, and ears when he comes inside after being in the grass. A lot of dogs with light skin and fine hair seem to be sensitive to the allergens found in grass, and, if this is the case with Ollie, you'll be able to get rid of most of the irritants that he transfers from his feet to his ears using the wipes.

Try that and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Cate

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you gotten Ollie on the California Natural yet, Donna? I really hope that helps him. It seems like Malts don't tolerate sweet potatoes too well. Also, Espree Tea Tree Oil shampoo has really helped Zooey's itchiness this season.

Cate, I'm curious why so many Maltese have allergies--is this inherent in the breed, or is it more environmental?

Thank you :)
Hi Zooeysmom,

I agree with you about the tea tree oil shampoo. It seems to help with a lot of the inflammation associated with skin allergies.

To be honest, I don't think anybody really knows if allergies are a breed-disposition or environmental. I do know that Maltese, as a breed, tend to be more sensitive to food and airborne allergies because of their fair skin and fine hair. The fine hair coat doesn't keep allergens off the skin the same way the thicker hair and coat of a breed like a labrador retriever or a wire-haired terrier does. That type of hair and coat works like a raincoat keeping water, dirt, and allergens away that a little Maltese just seems to sop up.

I do think that the grains in a lot of dog foods are a problem for sensitive dogs, which is why switching to grain-free was a good idea for Munch. Also, the pollutants in our air (cigarette smoke, car exhaust, etc.) not only affect the human population of this planet (and we know that statistically) but they have to be affecting our pets as well.

Cate

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Munch, we think our products may help out Ollie and you have been selected to receive a couple items for free! I would like to send you our Organic Papaya and Aloe Vera Tearless Wipes to help out with cleaning his ears and for quick wiping off of dirt and allergens. The products are very gentle and contain natural ingredients that won't irritate his skin.

Also, we will be sending you an Organic Almond and Shea Butter Shampoo, which contains organic ingredients like Almond Oil, Oatmeal, Shea Butter, and Coconut Oil and contains no harsh detergents or foaming agents. The natural ingredients have helped many of our customers with skin allergies and other problems so hopefully this will help Ollie as well! I will send you a message to get your shipping information if you are interested!

John

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bailey,
Our Organic Chamomile and Shea Butter Shampoo may help, as it contains only natural and organic ingredients and does not contain any harsh surfactants so is very gentle on the skin. Although it is non-medicated, it has helped many of our customers clean up skin allergies as the organic ingredients reduce the chances of an allergic reaction. I will send you a message to get your shipping information if you are interested!

John

1 - 20 of 217 Posts