Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious... aren't they supposed to start at about 8 weeks?? :blink: not sure. or when is it long enough to put a tie (rubber band or w/e you call it lol) in it? thanks

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Shelby, is Alice Ana only 8 weeks old? You have her already?
I would trim the hair a bit not rubber band it at that age.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol her age is on my ticker thing....
i don't have her yet, she's only 1mo, 1wk, 5days old.
when do you start pulling it back tho?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
As soon as they have enough hair to catch up in a topknot you can start. Use a small 1/4" or 5/16" grooming band, no bow until she gets used to the feel of it.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I think a lot of breeders start pulling it back into a "baby top knot" as soon as there is even the smallest amount of hair. This is so they can get used to it. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would think at 12 weeks you could put a tiny band in it if needed.
You are getting her at 12 weeks?

no, eleven i think :unsure: i even asked the breeder to hold her...
its okay, we've got it figured out now from all the other threads... :blush:
thanks guys

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I would start with a little bit of hair to get her used to bands, but only as soon as she has enough hair so it's not tight.

·
Registered
847 Posts
if you can get your breeder to start getting her used to it, i'd say the sooner the better. leila didn't start having her hair put up until about a week before i got her (so about 15 weeks) and it was a real struggle, and still sometimes is, to get her to leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I put one in Luigis hair right away---he tries to rub it out all the time & sometimes succeeds, but he will get used to it. He hardly has enough hair to hold it...LOL!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts