Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go to this website: www.authentichappiness.com

Register, then take the VIA Signature strengths test...it is long, but it will tell you what your personal strengths are. The books that I have been reading have spoken of the fact that focusing on your personal strengths will improve your life, because when you focus on your strengths, you strengthen them. Don't focus on what you aren't good at, focus on what you are good at, and become better at them.

Just something interesting and maybe different for you to look at. Another perspective you might say.

Our culture in California, as in many of the other states, is to focus on how bad we are at certain things. Well, if we are excellent at our strengths, nobody cares about what you aren't good at...right?

I'm rambling..

~Elegant

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm reading further in the book and it says that if you use your strengths in your job, your job becomes more satisfying, making you more happy.

I am still struggling with the fact that I did not get an admin job and I am still teaching. The worst part is I got stuck with THE worst 3rd grade class. Parents came up to me on back to school night and said that the principal and teachers who set up this class must not like me...they do like me though, except I do think my principal, since he has final say over who is in whose class, might be setting me up for failure.

Anyways, I am not happy with most of the aspects in my life right now and nothing seems to be going right or whatever. I do love Chanel and she brightens my day.

Oh, and there are several other tests you can take too that are probably shorter! :lol:

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Oct 9 2005, 09:47 AM
Anyways, I am not happy with most of the aspects in my life right now and nothing seems to be going right or whatever.  I do love Chanel and she brightens my day.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107865
[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat...
I don't even want to go to the link to take the test b/c I don't want to find out how NOT HAPPY I am...that would just depress me more...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tlunn, the strengths test tells you what your top five strengths are, not how happy you are. Maybe that was another test Scrappy?

I found this in the book too...the best understood aspect of happiness during the work day is having flow-feeling completely at home within yourself when you work.

Interesting. How many of us can say that?

~Elegant

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is also a strengths finder for children, so if you go there, look for the strengths finder for children, you can see what your child's strengths are! The book says if your child is old enough, let them do it in provate and call you in when they are done, or if they are very young, read it to them, read the choices for them, and do it together.

The book recommends:

1. To build your child's strengths, reward them for all displays of these strengths, and your child will start drifting towards those strengths more,
2. Go out of your way to to allow your child to display these signature strengths in the course of your normal family activities. When they are displayed, acknowledge them with a name.

Oh, and when you have children doing chores, the book says to assign each of your children a different chore based on their strengths, for example, if one of your children is kind and nurturing, maybe they take care of feeding the animals, brushing their fur, giving them vitamins, and if another child is a perfectionist, that child might excel in making all of the beds in the house and taking pride in how neatly done they are (sounds like me!), and dishes if your kid is playful and humorous.

I don't have children, but this advice is good for me because I am a teacher...this may be a new tool teachers can use with their students!!

~Elegant

1 - 5 of 5 Posts