Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm awaiting a male Maltese who's 2 weeks old. I put a deposit on him over the weekend and can visit him soon. Won't be able to get him until the end of July though. He was the smallest one of the litter with "show dog features", and he'll probably only be from 4-6 lbs. Are there problems associated with a Malt this small? The breeder said that males tend to be smarter and easier to train. Has this been your experience? Also, I plan on litter box training him and taking him out too. He will be in a kennel all day while I'm at work. Does anyone else litter box train their dog? It's great to be here, thanks.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Welcome! The standard for a maltese is "Weight under 7 pounds, with from 4 to 6 pounds preferred. Overall quality is to be favored over size. " So 4-6lbs is within standard.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
WELCOME to SM!

My Kodie is 3.2lbs... over 4lbs is perfect size. Health issues usually stem from the parents. I'm guessing your breeder has tested the parents for all types of diseases before breeding.

Kodie was puppy pad trainned in less than 1 week. I dont know much about females so I cant really compare. Sometimes it depends on the dog. Kodie is still trainned on puppy pads and he will poo on long walks outside. (he just started that) I tried using a litter box from petsmart but Kodie didnt seem to like it... he perfers the puppy pad just laying on the floor.

Cant wait to see pics of your new baby!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Welcome to SM. How exciting for you. The anticipation is part of the fun.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Welcome to SM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts