Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a favorite brand of baby gate that 1) swings open and 2) doesn't allow a small puppy to squeeze under it or thru the bars?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Right now I have one I got at Walmart for $10. It is one of those cheap wooden ones.

I really like this one though at Target: Evenflo Easy Swing Walk-Through Gate It is a swing gate but it does not have to be mounted. I live in an apartment so I didn't want to have to mount a gate. This one has a bar that goes across the floor that holds the gate in place. It has a easy one-hand operation lets you open and close it with ease.

You would not have to worry about the puppy getting through this one. The openings are way to small.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
There is one thing I like about the wooden gate. Th gate only cost $10 so if they chew a hole through it or somehow ruin it your not out a lot of money. It is kind of a pain to step over it but I can almost buy 4 of these gates for the price of 1 of the Target ones.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i have a pressure bar gate, its a cheap wooden one....but if you know how to install and you plan on using it for one area, and you dont care about price---i'd get one like lexis mom. mine has the pressure bar and i always hurt myself with it, BUT i've needed it in different rooms, on the stairs--so its easy to move around. and make sure you get the right length. there are some that are a little longer and a little taller that you might like (if you have big entrances).

·
Registered
939 Posts
I tried a number of baby gates and couldn't find one to fit the area I needed, or the ones that fit didn't work well. I built a "fence" with supplies from home depot. I used a pvc trellis style fencing. I think it is 6 foot long by 24" high. I cut it the length I needed and added support at each end with 1 x 1/4 inch hobby wood mounted on a square piece of 1/2 " wood for a foot. To block the stairs I put this in front and use Velcro straps to attach the fencing to the banister. I know it sounds weird, but it works very well, can be moved easily and was very inexpensive. I chose this because I needed a long fence on one end of my kitchen and a short one at the other end and could build them the length I needed. On the long one I used hinges to make a gate on one end so I could open it as needed.

Judi

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Actually that sounds very inventive (is that a word?). The gates for those odd size openings are expensive. Yours doesn't sound like it would cost that much. Plus it sounds like it would be light. Might not work for a bigger dog but should work fine for our little furbabies.

·
Registered
939 Posts
It is very light and would not work for a larger dog. It is so light that if I don't strap it to the banister Tiki can move it by nudging it out of the way. I also like how it looks; the pvc is white and I painted the wood white also.

Judi

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We have two swing gates...both are the mount kind...one for the kitchen and one for the hallway. I like the kitchen one the best..it doesn't say who makes it, and i don't remember. I got it at walmart for a great price. You could use it tension set, or swing...and choose which way it swings.

The hallway one is by Safety first. I don't like it at all. It is hard for the kids to open and close right...and just not as functional for us as the one in the kitchen. I think we are going to take it out, and get one like the other one, even though I hate making more holes in the wall. I have a wooden tension gate in front of the bathroom where the cat litter boxes are...so far he hasn't chewed through those, but he is not back there much. He chewed through the first one like that we had in the kitchen. That is when we went out to buy the heavier plastic kind that he couldn't chew through.

I want to look for the one like Lexi's mom talked about. All the ones like that I have seen in the past had too big of a space between the bars. Brinkley could have gone through them as a pup. Maybe not now. A friend of ours got one like that and her husband installed a piece of clear plexiglass across the front b/c their yorkie went right through the holes.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
LOL..
No, the ones I am talking about just have the vertical bars...like jail bars...no cross bars...ha ha.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
That is what I thought you meant! I have seen some of the vertical bar gates that are spaced pretty far apart. Like this:

Lexi would definitly been able to wiggle through. Heck she wiggle through a 4 inch gab a 2 months ago.

So I would not get a gate that has bars more than 2-3 inches wide or tall. Smaller the better.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 22 2004, 08:14 AM
They could fit through this? 

Must be a REALLY skinny dog! :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9712
[/QUOTE]

I bought this gate today. I hate it so much. My husband and I agree that it's going back to Target ASAP. The faults were: not tight enough fit with the walls (after much adjustment too), and not stable enough.

The search continues...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts