Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it has gotten so much colder in New York, time to find a coat for Gigolo. His predecessor had 2 fab coats both of which don't fit "Jiggles" (aka Gigolo) because this little boy has no "girth"!! One of Geronimo's coats was a beautiful soutwestern blanket coat/vest but it was too big. My dear friend gave Gigolo an early Xmas present and had one sent in a smaller size (still a little too big but much better). Only problem is that I don't think that it is warm enough and doesn't cover his entire back.

So we have been to every pet store in Manhattan trying all the coats. They are either too big, too long, too wide or they don't have a slit so that the leash can fit through to his harness. Finally found one yesterday made by a company called Ekoo, which was perfect except for the price $100!! Nothing is too good for my fur baby but have to draw the line somewhere, so am I crazy for not buying the perfect coat..Truth is that when it gets really cold and windy (and we have had some of those days already, he isn't crazy about walking in that kind of weather. ..all 3.5 lbs of him gets lifted off the ground. Up until know all he knews was great walks on beautiful days (I brought him home in June )Now the rude awakening!! Do you take your babies out in the cold weather? I should mention that I use wee wee pads so the only reason to go out is for exercise and fresh air.
Gigolo's Mom
(aka Scrooge???)

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
We don't have much cold weather in the deep south, BUT when the weather is a little nippy Sadie shivers. We ordered a coat from Dinky Dog: http://ritaburg.topcities.com/DinkyDawg/Coat/coats.htm

We ordered the reversible polar fleece with no hood. Each side has a D-ring for the leash and my understanding is that they make them to the right size for your dog. You have to measure the neck and the top line. It came in a few weeks and is really cute. My daughter chose two different fabrics so that we can give Sadie a new "look" when we want to.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Nov 15 2004, 04:30 PM
We don't have much cold weather in the deep south, BUT when the weather is a little nippy Sadie shivers.  We ordered a coat from Dinky Dog:  http://ritaburg.topcities.com/DinkyDawg/Coat/coats.htm

We ordered the reversible polar fleece with no hood.  Each side has a D-ring for the leash and my understanding is that they make them to the right size for your dog.  You have to measure the neck and the top line.  It came in a few weeks and is really cute.  My daughter chose two different fabrics so that we can give Sadie a new "look" when we want to.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16495
[/QUOTE]

That's who I was going to suggest. They are custom made to the dogs measurements.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The coats I have bought for Puddles just didn't fit well at all. So, my mom did some altering on them. The belly area was to big or they were to low down on his front feet for walking.

The sweaters are a perfect fit. Great price at Walmart.

This morning it was 30 outside, heard hubby taking Puddles out. I peeped out the window and there they were in their coats......how cute. So proud of hubby taking the time to dress him.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Nov 15 2004, 05:30 PM
We don't have much cold weather in the deep south, BUT when the weather is a little nippy Sadie shivers.  We ordered a coat from Dinky Dog:  http://ritaburg.topcities.com/DinkyDawg/Coat/coats.htm

We ordered the reversible polar fleece with no hood.  Each side has a D-ring for the leash and my understanding is that they make them to the right size for your dog.  You have to measure the neck and the top line.  It came in a few weeks and is really cute.  My daughter chose two different fabrics so that we can give Sadie a new "look" when we want to.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the recommendation of Dinky Dawg site..intend to check this out!! I knew posting my question would bring results...Great place to network our problems away......at least the "doggy ones"!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have been in touch with Rita from Dinky Dawg and ordered a coat for Gigolo this AM...Reversable with Zebra fleece on one side and Red Fleece on the other..Can't wait to get it!!.....Thanks again for coming through!!

Originally posted by Gigolo's Mom+Nov 16 2004, 11:29 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@Nov 15 2004, 05:30 PM

Thank you so much for the recommendation of Dinky Dawg site..intend to check this out!! I knew posting my question would bring results...Great place to network our problems away......at least the "doggy ones"!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16629
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,428 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Glad you liked the coat from Dinky Dawg.

Marj, don't know where you are located, but I lived in Virginia Beach for 16 years and Care-Alot is based there. They have an AWESOME store. And the prices are really great. I didn't even realize that they had a catalog but I'll bookmark the page for future reference. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lucky you, to live in Virginia Beach! I live in Raleigh, North Carolina, not too far away, but I haven't made it up your way in years.

I knew Care-a-Lot's main store was in Virginia Beach. I just happened to get their catalogue a few years ago and have been ordering from them ever since. They have a great selection, excellent prices and fast shipping.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm sorry to say that we no longer live there. I miss it, but when my husband paid the Navy back for his oral surgery residency and cosmetic surgery fellowship we immediately went to private practice in South Mississippi. We still have lots of friends there and go back to visit often. I sure spent lots of money at Care-Alot, though. And a store is always more fun than a catalog!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I found the cutest one-piece hooded sweatsuit pattern in the Simplicity Patterns Gifts catalog. It has four legs that go almost to the ankles, covers the body from neck to butt and has a hood! It is open for peeing and pooing, though.

It doesn't get cold enough here for Pico to need more than the one sweater he already has or I'd spring for the $12 to $15 the pattern cost just so I could make him a wardrobe!

Pattern companies are jumping on the Spoiled Pets bandwagon finally. There are raincoat patterns, beds, coats, etc. Some are even FurMommy and FurBaby matching sets!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
http://www.barkindogclothes.com has some really cute hoodies for a lot less than the pattern alone is!

I used to sew a lot, but not anymore. I made some stuff (bumpers, diaper stacker, etc.) for my daughter's baby room and couldn't believe the price of the pattern and fabrics! I swear I could have bought the same thing at Pottery Barn Kids for what I spent and not had to do the work!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I know what you mean. And the fabric available is not woth the cost because it is crappy blends. There is only one source in SanAntonio for fine fabrics and the others are a jumble of junk and you have to search for anything nice.

I do like to create, though. I make gifts for my friends that are impossible to buy for. I made a table runner and matching place mats as well as double sided linen napkins for one friend out of a cut-chenille two toned cream/white fabric with braided cord binding. Really turned out nice.

The project I am working on now is making a pillow using a round needlepoint of flowers that I just finished. I've never inserted a needlepoint into a piece of fabric before so that was a challenge. Let's see...the needlepoint design was $24, the yarn another $10 or so, the velvet for the pillow another $25, the pillow form $3. Yes this will be an expensive little (11 X 15) pillow.

I like to think of it as a future heirloom that Antiques Roadshow will be oohing and aahing over 100 years from now.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have seen the "faux suede coats" in a few pet stores and eBay..although they look great in the pictures, they were disappointing in person...I tried to get one for Gigolo. Despite the fact that they were too big, each one had some sort of imperfection..frayed edges, pilling etc).

Just received the Dinky Dawg coat from Rita yesterday in the mail.....She does beautiful work with alot of attention to details ... stitching, the "D" ring, etc. I got the reversable polar fleece (zebra on one side and red on the other) and had her make a wider closing band to keep Gigolo's tummy warm. The collar is ample so that it can be worn up.It's perfect....Gigolo will be a walking advertisement for Dinky Dawg!! Thanks again ladies for sharing!!
Wishing you all warm and wonderful holidays with your fur babies!
Gigolo's Mom

Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 18 2004, 12:36 PM
Carealot pets also has great doggie coats and they are less expensive. I have my eye on the faux suede coat - in pink, of course!

http://www.carealotpets.com/listItems.asp?...CatDesc=Apparel
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17009
[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts