Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took Brinkley to the vet today for nail clips and anal glands...
He weighed 7 POUNDS!!!!!! :eek:

I also asked abuot some babyteeth that looked like they had not come out...he said he would pull them when he "fixed" him..

I took a chance and asked about the stray hairs in the corners of his eyes...as I posted in another post...and someone...can't remmber who...said....the hair acts like a wick to the tears and makes the tearing/staining worse. The other poster...(hate it that I can't remember who that was)...said you could cauterize them or something...but my vet said they def. were not supposed to be there...called it some big vet term...and said he could pull them when he pulled the teeth and "fixed" him....all at the same time.

Now that I have left the vet...I am wondering...if he pulls those corner eye hairs..will they come back? Does anyone know?Should have asked that, but I didn't think about it until I was driving off.

Anyway, hopefully this will help tremendously with his tearing/staining. I try to keep those hairs trimmed...but they are SO close to his eye that it makes me nervous and I can't get them close enough to NOT touch under his eye...it is just too risky.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does Toby have those hairs coming out of his eyes too?

I probably won't have it done if they are going to grow back. That seems silly. Although if he does it while he is asleep...it shouldn't hurt any worse than his nuetering and teeth are going to...it might be interesting to see how much it helps the tearing...just to know that is why...even if it will grow back eventually. Maybe if I ask him and they indeed are going to grow back, there is another alternative he can suggest...who knows.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 2 2004, 12:37 PM
I don't know if Toby has those hairs.  I can't see them, but didn't the person who said they had it done also say that they had to look with a magnifying glass or something?  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10721
[/QUOTE]

Oh, Brinkley's don't need a magnifying glass...that is for sure. You can't miss them...it looks like a clump of hair...stuck together...not fluffy..I am sure b/c of the tears...and it hangs down out of the very inside corner of each eye. It is always pinkish brown b/c of the tears...and even though I try to keep them trimmed short...it seems like the tears are running down that bunch of hair...like a gutter... ha ha. Anyway, we'll see what the vet says...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Sep 16 2004, 10:42 AM
parker had a bad problem with his...he had some hairs growing in the insides of the corners of his eyes that were acting like a wick and were causing most of the tear production.  so while i was working at my vet over the summer we put him under a very light anestestic and cauterized them.  this procedure needed to be done twice to get most of them.  now he has minimal tearing and i wipe his eyes every night to every other night and now he has no stains.  i'm glad  you found a solution to your problem.  i am curious what antibiotic are you using?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9354
[/QUOTE]

Here is the post from Lady Montava. I may PM her and ask some more questions...maybe she will know more since I thing she said she was in vet school.

Thanks for helping me find the thread.
I was going to do it later tonight.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes it was me and i replied to your pm. just so everyone will get the info here is my reply: i dont think pulling would be permanent..i would ask if they plan to cauterize them or freeze them off. it wont cure the prob but will improve it...it improved parkers eyes by about 50%. and it didnt hurt parker at all. i was surprised. just make sure you get some antibitotic for the eyes to prevent infection afterwards. i spoke with my opthomology professor a couple of days ago and asked them why they get the tearing problems. he said it was conformation and the only way to fix it was an $800 surgery. using antibiotic eye drops to prevent the staining is not recomended b/c they cause the bacteria to be resistent to the antibiotics, and makes it harder to treat future infections. so just wipe the eyes everyday- everyother day to prevent the bronzing of the hair. i dont think the $800 is worth it right now...maybe i will learn to do the surgery myself...he said i could with practice but he would make it look "nicer"....anyways hope this helps everyone!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
you can kinda tell by looking at his pics the improvement we have had. some have the pink hair and others dont.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts