Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are looking into getting our teacup maltese neutered and have a two of his baby teeth extracted since they are not falling out. he is a little over 8 months old now and weighs probbably about 5-6lbs. the animal hospital that we go to called me saying to have him neutered (using a laser) and two baby teeth extractions will be $345. we would drop him off in the morning and pick him back up later that day.

is that normal pricing? I live in south florida so im sure that added a few extra pennies to the bill already.... :)

just trying to get an idea what other people have paid. overall we really like and trust the vet at this place.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
that sounds like a reasonable price to me. with pre-surgery bloodwork, mine cost me around $500+ teeth.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm pretty sure I paid about $575 for neutering and teeth extraction. San Francisco is pretty expensive in general though.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Sounds about right to me. Make sure you get pre-op bloodwork. It will tell your vet if your Maltese can handle anesthesia safely. Also find out what type of anesthesia will be used.

Lots of good information here:

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/52-maltese-health-behavior/84779-anesthesia.html

FYI, there is no such thing as a "teacup" Maltese. The term is used as a marketing ploy by unscrupulous breeders. Maltese don't have different size ranges like Poodles do. The standard calls for Maltese to be under 7 pounds with 4-6 lbs. preferred.

American Maltese Association

At 5-6 lbs. at eight months, your guy will be at the high end of the standard, possibly over, when he is finished growing. It will depend on his genetics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts