Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Hope everyone is doing well. Just had a quick question. At our 5 month visit Dr. Bob said all his baby teeth are gone but this week I have found 3 teeth loose on my bed. He seems to be chewing a lot the last few days and today he seems like he’s been choking on something so I opened his mouth to check and he spit a tooth right into my hand. What a shock. At 6 1/2 month is this alright? Sorry for sounding dumb everyone. Remember Kobe is my first fur baby. I think I may over worry because he is so little but I know you guys know better than me. Please help.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
It sounds like Dr. Bob didn't look very carefully! Five mos. would be on the early end for losing all deciduous teeth. Many dogs still have a few at Kobe's age. If they are a problem, they usually get pulled when the pup is under anesthesia for spay/neuter.

Reactions: Abella's Mommy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like Dr. Bob didn't look very carefully! Five mos. would be on the early end for losing all deciduous teeth. Many dogs still have a few at Kobe's age. If they are a problem, they usually get pulled when the pup is under anesthesia for spay/neuter.
Good to know I’m not crazy then and this is normal. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there. Hope everyone is doing well. Just had a quick question. At our 5 month visit Dr. Bob said all his baby teeth are gone but this week I have found 3 teeth loose on my bed. He seems to be chewing a lot the last few days and today he seems like he’s been choking on something so I opened his mouth to check and he spit a tooth right into my hand. What a shock. At 6 1/2 month is this alright? Sorry for sounding dumb everyone. Remember Kobe is my first fur baby. I think I may over worry because he is so little but I know you guys know better than me. Please help.
I guess you don't have to worry. This is completely normal. And you are not dumb. We all are like this when it is our first puppy. And your doctor didn't check anything properly. That's why you are confused.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess you don't have to worry. This is completely normal. And you are not dumb. We all are like this when it is our first puppy. And your doctor didn't check anything properly. That's why you are confused.
Thanks for the reassurance. I really appreciate you guys. Sometimes I think all this Covid has people cutting corners and I wonder if Dr. Bob even looked at Kobe or the lady just told me that. With this Pandemic they don’t let me go in. I only get to talk to the vet for a few minutes over the phone. It’s really weird here. Where I got him neutered they let me go in but the office is so big they told me we would not have the same doctor. So Kobe never gets the same doctor. Worse of two evils. I don’t know sometimes.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance. I really appreciate you guys. Sometimes I think all this Covid has people cutting corners and I wonder if Dr. Bob even looked at Kobe or the lady just told me that. With this Pandemic they don’t let me go in. I only get to talk to the vet for a few minutes over the phone. It’s really weird here. Where I got him neutered they let me go in but the office is so big they told me we would not have the same doctor. So Kobe never gets the same doctor. Worse of two evils. I don’t know sometimes.
It's the same situation in our area, Cheryl. Plus, my regular vet completely shut down and they only do telehealth, so I have to go to the more expensive emergency vet just for regular appointments. Took 2 hours to get Zooey's eyes checked and her anal glands expressed on our most recent visit at a premium cost.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the same situation in our area, Cheryl. Plus, my regular vet completely shut down and they only do telehealth, so I have to go to the more expensive emergency vet just for regular appointments. Took 2 hours to get Zooey's eyes checked and her anal glands expressed on our most recent visit at a premium cost.
I was having them do his Anal glands at the groomer because everything is extra at my vet but the last 3 months Ive done his cut myself because they were closed down. Im not brave enough to do his glands even though it doesn't look that hard from the videos Ive seem. My daughter told me about some probiotics that help her dogs that she's used for years and since Ive been giving Kobe these in a much tinier quantity he hasn't done any more scooting. Our groomer is open again so we will be back on regular routine soon. with that at least.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I've tried to do the anal glands, but I've failed miserably. Zooey is our only one out of the 5 who needs regular gland expression. So common in Maltese. But that's interesting about the probiotic. What is it called?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've tried to do the anal glands, but I've failed miserably. Zooey is our only one out of the 5 who needs regular gland expression. So common in Maltese. But that's interesting about the probiotic. What is it called?
Glandex Anal Gland Soft Chew Treats with Pumpkin for Dogs 30ct Chews with Digestive Enzymes, Probiotics Fiber Supplement for Dogs – Vet Recommended - Boot The Scoot

That’s the entire title on Amazon. It says on the bag with probiotics.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Thanks, Cheryl!

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
Glandex Anal Gland Soft Chew Treats with Pumpkin for Dogs 30ct Chews with Digestive Enzymes, Probiotics Fiber Supplement for Dogs – Vet Recommended - Boot The Scoot

That’s the entire title on Amazon. It says on the bag with probiotics.
Probiotics are excellent for our dogs GI issues, though I haven’t noticed any changes regarding anal gland issues while using them with my lacie. That’s not to say they dont work.
i just wanted to mention that my girls IMS prescribed Proviable DC that you can order OTC thru Chewy now.
There have been numerous studies on probiotics, only a few have the billions of microbes needed that will actually help, otherwise they can be a waste of money if the probiotic does not have the microbe needed that the dog needs. Another reason why Fecal transplants work so well, but that’s for a whole other discussion, lol.
VSL3 was another good one.

Also, I think baby teeth depends a lot on genetics. I had one who lost her baby teeth early on, one who just got their baby teeth in at 5 months and one who held on to her baby teeth until she was spay at almost 2 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts