Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella is losing her bottom baby teeth, but she seems to be keeping her top teeth...even though the new ones are coming in. She is being spayed a week from tomorrow (Dec. 17th), and I guess they should pull these teeth then. But she doesn't have all that many adult teeth so do you think they will pull the baby teeth? I just noticed this so I was going to ask the vet when I take her in to have her surgery but I will probably call and tell them just for the heads up.
I can't really wait for her spaying b/c I will have work and school again after the holidays until the summer and that is too long to wait.

Is this normal to have the two sets at the same time? Any advise or experience would help!
:D
Thanks!
Nicolle

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley had a few of both before he was nuetered and they were pulled....some I could tell...but the vet said he had more than what I thought. I felt sorry for him because I knew some of the loose ones had to hurt and be annoying. One was just hanging there in front of his adult tooth...we tried SO hard to help him get it out. He ended up having three or four pulled...and still had a mouth full of teeth to me, so he must have had several of both too. I wouldn't worry about it for another week. That should be fine, and the vet probably will pull them at that time.
How old is she?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by tlunn@Dec 10 2004, 05:52 AM
How old is she?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=21830
[/QUOTE]

She is five and 1/2 months. She will be 6 months on the 23rd. Oh and I forgot to mention that she doesn't seem to have much pain b/c she is eating great. She has always been such a little piggy!

Thanks for the help!
Nicolle

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Anything that is not out by six months should be pulled. Retained baby teeth are very common in toy breeds. Most people have them pulled while the dog is under anesthesia to be spayed or neutered. Having 2 rows of teeth will cause displacement of the adult teeth. This can be detrimental to their health. The teeth may inhibit eating or even puncture the gums or the palate. Also, with 2 rows of teeth tartar will build up between them and make for nasty dental disease. You're on the right track having them pulled when she is spayed.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
ur vet might not pull them if the other ones are not errupted yet...he may want to wait. they did this with parker and he was just under 6mo when i had him neutered. if this is the case she might have to go back a few months later to have them pulled. for parker i made sure to play tug with him and i would wiggle his canines everyday to loosen them....they fell out like a month later.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Puppies have 28 temporary teeth (called puppy teeth or milk teeth) that start coming in at about 4 weeks of age. They generally fall out between 14 and 30 weeks of age and are replaced by 42 adult teeth. so yes they fall out slowly over time...the canines are usually the last to fall out if they do.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Toy dogs are also notorious for not having full dentition. There should be 6 little incisors on the top and the bottom, but many toy dogs have only 4 or 5. They may also have a premolar or two that don't have an adult tooth. Breeders try to breed for a good bite so that full dentition without crowding is possible. Off bites are a really common reason why a pup is pet quality, so don't be surprised if your pup doesn't end up with all of those incisors or premolars.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Dec 12 2004, 09:46 PM
Toy dogs are also notorious for not having full dentition. There should be 6 little incisors on the top and the bottom, but many toy dogs have only 4 or 5. They may also have a premolar or two that don't have an adult tooth. Breeders try to breed for a good bite so that full dentition without crowding is possible. Off bites are a really common reason why a pup is pet quality, so don't be surprised if your pup doesn't end up with all of those incisors or premolars.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22419
[/QUOTE]
Are you a breeder? cause your sooo Knowledgeable (did I spell that right.. it doesnt look right) ....i would want to buy a pup from you! I know you would do trustworthy.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't think Alex has 42 teeths. He has all the front teeths and the canines but it looks like that between the last mollars and the canines there are only one or 2 teeths. Will try to count them if he lets me look long enough in his mouth.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy has 3 retained puppy teeth but the vet advised against pulling them right now. He said his aren't crowded or causing any issues so he didn't think we should risk putting Tuffy under for them. He said if some reason Tuffy has to be put under in the future that they'd do them then but right now it wasn't a neccesity. But he did tell me that I have to pay special attention to making sure they all stay clean, which I already do, so that's cool. I was glad he didn't want to pull them now because I really did not want to have him put under for just 3 teeth.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 13 2004, 10:13 AM
Are you a breeder?  cause your sooo Knowledgeable (did I spell that right.. it doesnt look right) ....i would want to buy a pup from you!  I know you would do trustworthy. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22588
[/QUOTE]

LOL No...I started out with mentors who showed and bred Labrador Retrievers before getting into Maltese. I've been involved in conformation and obedience for a number of years and the last few years agility. I grew up in and around a vet hospital and have worked in one since I was 15.

I have an only boy policy for now! No girls = no puppies.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+Dec 13 2004, 09:37 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kodie
@Dec 13 2004, 10:13 AM
Are you a breeder?  cause your sooo Knowledgeable (did I spell that right.. it doesnt look right) ....i would want to buy a pup from you!  I know you would do trustworthy. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22588

LOL No...I started out with mentors who showed and bred Labrador Retrievers before getting into Maltese. I've been involved in conformation and obedience for a number of years and the last few years agility. I grew up in and around a vet hospital and have worked in one since I was 15.

I have an only boy policy for now! No girls = no puppies.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22872
[/B][/QUOTE]
too bad.. you seem like you would be a responsible breeder

1 - 16 of 16 Posts