Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little girl Charlie is 5 months old and when we went to the doctor yesterday they noticed she hasn't lost ANY of her baby teeth!

When did this happen for your little ones? She weighs 5 lbs right now, and everything else checked out OK.

I do want to get her spayed within the next month but I would prefer to wait until most baby teeth have fallen out on their own so any extra can be extracted.

Would would you do in my position?

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
I waited until Sassy was 7 1/2 months old before I had her spayed. Two reasons: first, her size (she was barely 4 lbs. at that time) second, her baby teeth. So I would give her another month or so. You will be surprised how fast she will shed those baby teeth once the process begins.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I just had Ty neutered, he was a bit over 7 months. We waited the extra month or so in the hope that he would lose some of his baby teeth because like Charlie he had not lost ANY at 5 months. By 7 months he had lost a few but not many. So when he was neutered they removed all the residual baby teeth and he did fine. It is very simple to have done, the baby teeth have a very shallow root system and are literally plucked out while while they are asleep for the neuter/spay.

I did not notice any mouth soreness and he ate fine as soon as he got home. The tooth extraction did cost more than the neuter but all combined it was less than $300.00.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Oct 14 2005, 11:51 PM
I waited until Sassy was 7 1/2 months old before I had her spayed. Two reasons: first, her size (she was barely 4 lbs. at that time) second, her baby teeth. So I would give her another month or so. You will be surprised how fast she will shed those baby teeth once the process begins.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109860
[/QUOTE]

Ditto here

We waited until Indy was 8 months old because of his size also and that way he could have longer to shed his baby teeth too. Sassie's Mom is right, once the teeth start falling out it goes fast. Except for some that may need to be pulled . I was finding Indy's baby teeth almost daily, on the floor, in his crate etc. I also pulled a couple myself be accident when I was rubbing his teeth with a cloth for cleaning them. While he was teething I didn't brush his teeth, he was just to sensitive. I bought dental wipes and used them instead, while I was cleaning his teeth I manage to grab onto a few which he actually seemed happy about
At 8 months old when he was neutered he had 13 baby teeth removed, the Vet said they were barely in there so he had no trouble taking them out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Obi started loosing his teeth around 4 months. He's lost alot, i think their are just a few left he has to loose. I actually was able to save 2 of them that fell out at the same time. i noticed his mouth was bleeding and saw the teeth and was blotting them with tissues and they just fell out, that easy.

~Danielle and Obi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts