Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not believe this ...Baci had dinner that my mother made Chicken yam i tea spoon of lentils that was around 6 pm..this is happening all over again OMG please pray for my Baci..

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now he is resting however he threw up twice his whole dinner ..If anyone has any suggestions please i need advice ..I still have the Pepsid left over from last week did not give it him i thought to wait it out but not sure..

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Didn't the vet say to give it to him? I would if that is what he told you last time.......I will say prayers for him!!:wub:

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I don't know if pepcid would help but I don't think it would hurt. I am SO sorry Kathy, I know how upset you are. I have animal essentials ginger mint and phytomucil that often help both Toto and Tuffy when they have stomach issues but Toto's problems are more severe and often need antibiotics from the vet to get him under control. Were the lentils something that he normally doesn't have?

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Oh Kathy - I just can't believe this. Anything that he doesn't normally have? Try to keep a food diary of what Baci eats for a while. It might help you to see if there's any pattern at all. I'm praying for him and hope you can figure out what's going on. In the meantime if the doctor suggested the Pepcid it would seem you could do it. Unless you just want to call him/her and make sure. Let us know how he's doing.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Oh, dear. My vet has always instructed me to rest Lady's tummy for 12 hours before offering food again. Try to keep him hydrated with water only if you can.

Baci may just have a very touchy digestive system that can't handle table foods.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Try pedialyte for hydration. I would give 1/4 tab of pepcid twice a day. I have Lola on that as a regular med since her big barf out. It is a good stomach protectant.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks all right know all is quiet..I will call the Vet in the morning I'm just confused with the whole food thing..Last week it was the Dr Harveys mixed with the food but this time it was just the homecoming except my mother added a teaspoon of HM lentils i did read that is was good for dogs but maybe not mine ...:unsure:He is the sweetest baby and to see him uncomfortable makes me want to cry..

Buy the way what is the difference between table foods and home cooking ?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I am not a fan of giving legumes/grains/sugars to dogs. (or people, but that's another story.)

I'd stick with plain meat and some plain veggies, like cooked carrots.

I keep Animal Essentials ginger/mint tonic in the house just in case of tummy issues. I've also given 1/4 pepcid. If my dog throws up or has tummy issues, I don't feed her for at least 12 hours.

It won't hurt them to go without food for that long.

I am sorry that you are dealing with this. Plain chicken and carrots and maybe some rice really is a nice bland diet.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Susan no more lentil for Baci ..I will go buy Essentials tomorrow .

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Kathy - I just went over your old posts when Baci was throwing up (not really old since only the end of July) but you said he was on Dr. Harvey's Canine Health which Suzan said had grains in it. Now with the lentils, maybe he really is sensitive to grains and beans and that accounts for both reactions.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG Susan that must be it ...I never put it together especially because that was the second bag of DH but than tonight it had to be the lentils..Thank you all so much i am so very grateful to you all Kathy

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Keeping Baci in my prayers. That's probably what it is the lentils and the grains in the Dr. Harvey's Canine Health, good eye Sue. Hopefully that will be an easy fix.
I keep the Ginger-Mint tonic on hand for upset tummies, but for some reason i couldn't find it when Noelle had her upset tummy, now that i don't need it right now i found it.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I am not a fan of giving legumes/grains/sugars to dogs. (or people, but that's another story.)

I'd stick with plain meat and some plain veggies, like cooked carrots.

I keep Animal Essentials ginger/mint tonic in the house just in case of tummy issues. I've also given 1/4 pepcid. If my dog throws up or has tummy issues, I don't feed her for at least 12 hours.

It won't hurt them to go without food for that long.

I am sorry that you are dealing with this. Plain chicken and carrots and maybe some rice really is a nice bland diet.
I bet you are right, Suzan. Lady's vet explained to me that starches/carbs are very hard on the pancreas since dogs and especially cats are not designed to convert them the way humans are. He said cats have actually become diabetic from high carb commercial diets alone. Repeated bouts of pancreatitis can actually cause diabetes.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Thanks all right know all is quiet..I will call the Vet in the morning I'm just confused with the whole food thing..Last week it was the Dr Harveys mixed with the food but this time it was just the homecoming except my mother added a teaspoon of HM lentils i did read that is was good for dogs but maybe not mine ...:unsure:He is the sweetest baby and to see him uncomfortable makes me want to cry..

Buy the way what is the difference between table foods and home cooking ?[/quote]

Table food or table scraps are left over foods that you might feed your dog that was origially cooked for you. You can, on occasion, feed your dog some scraps from your table like meats or veggies that have not been cooked in a sauce or overly salted etc. But home cooking is food that is cooked specifically for your dog, with a recipe or formula that is for dogs, not people. Home cooking is usually supplimented with oils and vitimins and minerals that are necessary to meet your dogs needs. Dr. Harveys veg to bowl is an easy to home cook with ease. It adds vegtables and all the suppliments, you add your choice of protein and oil.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Baci slept all night thank god .. have to get ready for work but i did discover my mother has been sneaking Baci things that I'm upset about..kathy

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Sorry to hear Baci is not feeling well. I hope he is feeling well soon.

Just a question to throw out there (forgive me if this already came up in an earlier discussion), I am assuming 'plain chicken' means, cooked in water with no added salt or seasoning? and not the fattier pieces or skin, just chicken breast ?
Basically poached chicken breast. could that be part of it?

I caught my brother giving Jodi a piece of chicken for a treat...it was as big as a chicken nugget! and that is just what I saw for myself, no wonder Jodi was always hanging around him. It can be frustrating when you don't know what they are eating for sure and family is just trying to be kind.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I know it seems hard to believe, because we have been told repeatedly that they are good for us - but grains/legumes contain anti-nutrients like lectins and phytic acids that are hard on the digestive system in both humans and dogs, and, they break down into sugars in the body. Something that the liver and pancreas doesn't need.

If you think that you or your dog are sensitive to grains/beans then cut them out of the diet for 3 weeks and see if there is an improvement in digestion issues. 99% of the time, there will be an improvement.

I really think that grains and beans were intended to be famine foods - only eaten when there was nothing else available. Now we eat so many of them (corn, wheat, and soybeans are in everything) our digestive systems cannot handle it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts