Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back and the little fluff has a urinary tract infection and had impacted anal glands.
My worry is that the vet told me he found crystals in her urine and that her PH was too alkaline. I feed her ACANA kibble. He said this food caused her UTI because it is not regulating her PH level that is why she formed crystals. He told me to look for a food that is proper for this breed that prevents urinary crystals. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Poor baby. Is she in any discomfort? What do they do for impacted anal glads? Thankfully my two have never had this happen to them but I remember reading something on here about it happening to someone's fluff but can't remember who.

Bianca and Bitsy send her lots of kisses!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
ooo wow poor baby . im not too familiar with foods as i am a newbie , did her give her meds ? what else did he say ?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's on a 14 day schedule of antibiotics and she's acting really quiet and sleepy. I also told the vet I give her alot of our food like oameal,pasta, etc. He said fruits and veggies are ok but not to go overboard. Foods that appear very healthy for us may not be for our fluffs.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
If your dog's ph is too alkaline, then I would assume that you need to feed it acidic foods, which are usually proteins, or apple cider vinegar. If you feed your dog grains like pasta and oats, they can be very inflammatory and acid-causing. You can buy ph test strips in any pharmacy and test food.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I always thought I heard Acana was a great food. What did he mean by a 'proper food for the breed'? It's strange he didn't offer any suggestions.

I hope she's feeling better soon !

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Yes, he should have suggested a good food for this type of issue. I wouldn't feed pasta if you're feeding a kibble. Veggies and apples (minus skin) are good. Lots of fresh water. If she's not much of a drinker, you can syringe it or add to food.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I always thought I heard Acana was a great food. What did he mean by a 'proper food for the breed'? It's strange he didn't offer any suggestions.

I hope she's feeling better soon !
It is a good food. Does he carry or feed Acana? Did you bring in the bag and did he look at the ingredients? I'm only asking because it would be very easy to say "oh it's the food" and not even know what the ingredients are. Acana is one of the higher end foods.

I just get a little bit ticked when Vets say oh it has to be this and not look into other surrounding factors. (It happened to me when I first got Mia :angry:)

I'm glad you found out what was wrong.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your dog's ph is too alkaline, then I would assume that you need to feed it acidic foods, which are usually proteins, or apple cider vinegar. If you feed your dog grains like pasta and oats, they can be very inflammatory and acid-causing. You can buy ph test strips in any pharmacy and test food.

Just my opinion.
I myself eat plain quaker oats every morning and I usually give her some before her Acana kibble. Just before we headed out to the vet I gave her oatmeal. May be that is why her ph was at 8.
Vet seemed to think the UTI was caused by her food and was trying to talk me into hills science diet urinary tract care formula. I was considering it cause it states it prevents crystals from forming and he said they found crystals in her urine. Since she is not drinking enough I went to buy canned food. I bought MERRICK GRAMMY POT PIE, WELLNESS, AND NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE ENTREES. The lady at the pet food store said Acana is still too high in protein for such a small dog....but I really like Acana. :sweatdrop:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is a good food. Does he carry or feed Acana? Did you bring in the bag and did he look at the ingredients? I'm only asking because it would be very easy to say "oh it's the food" and not even know what the ingredients are. Acana is one of the higher end foods.

I just get a little bit ticked when Vets say oh it has to be this and not look into other surrounding factors. (It happened to me when I first got Mia :angry:)

I'm glad you found out what was wrong.
My vet really likes Acana and highly reccommends it. He is saying that because they found crystals in her urine it is recommeded that she be on on a formula specific for urinary care. That is why he suggested Hills Science diet urinary care but I told him no way. So he then suggested to call the companies that I like and ask if therir formula regulates the PH level. I found one and it is called Precise Pet Products. The formula is called Precise ultra. Seems good but I am still a very big Orijen/ Acana fan.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I myself eat plain quaker oats every morning and I usually give her some before her Acana kibble. Just before we headed out to the vet I gave her oatmeal. May be that is why her ph was at 8.
Vet seemed to think the UTI was caused by her food and was trying to talk me into hills science diet urinary tract care formula. I was considering it cause it states it prevents crystals from forming and he said they found crystals in her urine. Since she is not drinking enough I went to buy canned food. I bought MERRICK GRAMMY POT PIE, WELLNESS, AND NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE ENTREES. The lady at the pet food store said Acana is still too high in protein for such a small dog....but I really like Acana. :sweatdrop:

Of course he suggested Hill's. That's what they do.

Wellness is a decent food. I don't know about the others you mentioned.

Is the lady in the pet food store a canine nutritionist?

A 1/2 teaspoon of pureed raw cranberries per day in the food (NOT dried cranberries or craisins) would add acidity to the diet, thus changing the PH.

Grains are not good for dogs. (wheat, rye, oats, rice, barley, millet) The only animals that thrive on grains are birds.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Woah, stop. An infection itself can lead to the pH change and crystals. The sample sitting too long can cause crystals. I would not change anything and recheck a urine sample at the end of the course of antibiotics. If the crystals are still there, then it is important to know what kind before selecting a diet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Louis had crystals and a UTI too when he was a baby. I cant remember for sure if his urine was too alkaline but I'm pretty sure it was. My vet gave me antibiotics and recommended that he drink lots of water. She also said that sometimes puppies get UTIs and its not necessarily because of food or anything, its kinda one of those things that can happen. She also told me to wait on changing food because she wasnt sure if that was really was the cause. Its been a year since this happened and Louis is healthy. It was a one time thing. I would listen to JMM and recheck after the antibiotics.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Like the others stated, Acana is one of THE best foods out there (I am an Orijen feeder), and a high protein/low carb diet is IDEAL for dogs, especially small dogs. Most vets unfortunately know nothing when it comes to canine nutrition, and they suggest feeding Science Diet or Royal Canin...which are not very nutritious and should not be fed unless there really are no other options.

I would absolutely stop feeding all grains (oatmeal, pasta, etc) as they are not considered to be a good item to feed. Which formula of Acana are you feeding? Acana does have a few varieties that contain grains so that is why I'm asking. Acana Pacifica seems to be the most popular around here. :)

Pamper your little girl and I hope she feels better soon. I agree with JMM on having her urine re-tested after her course of antibiotics to revaluate.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have always fed Acana Prairie and after her 14 days of antibiotics she will be re-checked for sure.
Thanks all for your kind words and comments.

You cannot tell that she has a UTI. She just finished doing laps in our backyard.LOL and is drinking up a lot of water !!!:aktion033:

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Just curious- did the vet have that Science diet in his/her office? Vets get kickbacks for selling this food and it isn't that good of a food- Has A LOT of grains.

I know Blue Buffalo has some new foods out to that may help. Also, try Nutro Ultra in the can. I hope she gets/feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just curious- did the vet have that Science diet in his/her office? Vets get kickbacks for selling this food and it isn't that good of a food- Has A LOT of grains.

I know Blue Buffalo has some new foods out to that may help. Also, try Nutro Ultra in the can. I hope she gets/feels better soon.
Yes the vet had the Science diet in his office. Dry kibble is not a good idea at the moment she needs as much liquid as possible so I bought a few canned foods. I gave her Nutro Natural choice chicken entree and she devoured it in seconds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts