Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...our pup had her final round of shots this morning and all went extremely well. She is weighing in at 3 pounds and is 14 weeks old. The vet siad that she hadn't seen any Maltese puppies for months, and since we came in two weeks ago, she has seen a lot of them. Our puppy is the picture of health and we are starting to socialize her both with other dogs and with people. She really loves to greet everyone and gets so excited when we have visitors (dogs and their humans). I was an especially proud mom when the vet asked our puppy to be part of a training film being produced about proper pet care. She really is a little star!!! The next part of my post is upsetting....

During the exam the vet told me about two puppies...one shih tzu and one mixed breed (maltypoo or something like that) that had to euthanized. The reason being, when they were "warehoused" after leaving their mothers but before their arrival in the pet shop, they came down with kennel cough. These puppies were never immunized for it, nor were they given appropriate veterinary care. Instead of giving the proper antibiotic treatment, the puppies were given a once a day injectable antibiotic because it was easier than giving a puppy a pill a couple of times a day. This antibiotic (I cannot recall the name) caused the pups to become dehydrated and both were in renal (kidney) failure. The puppies were 12 weeks old. I left the office and cried the whole ride home.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
glad to hear u baby check out fine..it is sad about the puppies though. thats the hard part about being a vet. they are faced with that kinda stuff all the time. it kinda sucks b/c being a vet u have to take away some feelings u have just so u can make it through each day..sometimes it makes the vet look like a cold person, but us vet ppl are really very loving ppl

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Dec 12 2004, 02:42 PM
Hi all...our pup had her final round of shots this morning and all went extremely well.  She is weighing in at 3 pounds and is 14 weeks old.  The vet siad that she hadn't seen any Maltese puppies for months, and since we came in two weeks ago, she has seen a lot of them.  Our puppy is the picture of health and we are starting to socialize her both with other dogs and with people.  She really loves to greet everyone and gets so excited when we have visitors (dogs and their humans).  I was an especially proud mom when the vet asked our puppy to be part of a training film being produced about proper pet care.  She really is a little star!!!  The next part of my post is upsetting....

During the exam the vet told me about two puppies...one shih tzu and one mixed breed (maltypoo or something like that) that had to euthanized.  The reason being, when they were "warehoused" after leaving their mothers but before their arrival in the pet shop, they came down with kennel cough.  These puppies were never immunized for it, nor were they given appropriate veterinary care.  Instead of giving the proper antibiotic treatment, the puppies were given a once a day injectable antibiotic because it was easier than giving a puppy a pill a couple of times a day.  This antibiotic (I cannot recall the name) caused the pups to become dehydrated and both were in renal (kidney) failure.  The puppies were 12 weeks old.  I left the office and cried the whole ride home.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22313
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i think its good to share these stories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts