Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we are back to ripping the pad..
Here is an update Oscar was ripping his pad and then moved onto scratching a HUGH hole in our bathroom (His Den) and we had to cover it with plexiglass, well he left that alone and we caught him on Saturday after he was out of his “den” for a long while , we put him in his area and I caught him trying to start a new hole, so we said “NO” bad bite and so on, and he lowered his ears and so on and for a little guy he can sure make a HUGH hole...so I Plexiglass the entire bathroom, well now when we come home we find the pad destroyed, and we know this is a separation anxiety type of issue, we signed him up for puppy classes, when we told the trainer what we were experiencing she said he sounds like he has separation anxiety. We start the classes in three weeks. Anyone have any other ideas why he cries as soon as we put him in the area and how we can stop this pad abuse others on this great board have warned me that we need to break him of that. So he is mad or sad we are leaving him, but we do not know what to do, we try to spend as much time with him as possible when we are home, and he is not old enough to roam the house during the day. He is not ready to go find his pad when he needs to go.....thanks for reading this and I am open to ideas or past methods that have proven successful

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I just wanted to say I have also experienced the digging a hole in the wall.

I live in an apartment and couldn't afford to have her destroy the walls anymore so I started leaving Lexi in her crate while I was ata work. She was only in it for 4 hours at a time. After a few months I got an exercise pen and placed her crate in the pen with her. She loves it and willingly goes in.

Have you tried to make his den a fun place? Play with him in there, give treats to him, feed him in there, etc. How old is he?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

YES...I go in there and I play with him, and we give him a Kong, well two one that uses the paste and one that dispenses the treats. He is now 13 weeks old...we are not able to crate him that would be cruel at this point he would spend six plus hours in there and we can not fit an exercise pen in the bathroom, we really want him to be comfortable going in there. His crate and pad and toys and water and food are all in there all day...here is a picture of what he did so far

Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jun 22 2005, 11:17 AM
I just wanted to say I have also experienced the digging a hole in the wall.

I live in an apartment and couldn't afford to have her destroy the walls anymore so I started leaving Lexi in her crate while I was ata work.  She was only in it for 4 hours at a time.  After a few months I got an exercise pen and placed her crate in the pen with her.  She loves it and willingly goes in.

Have you tried to make his den a fun place?  Play with him in there, give treats to him, feed him in there, etc.  How old is he?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74446
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
One of my dogs had bad separation anxiety and the second I was out of his sight the screaming would start. It was a slow process for us, but now I can leave without any problems and he has become so much more independent! Dogs like routine, so what I did was leave him for say 5-10 minutes at scheduled times throughout the day. I have to say it was an easy thing for me to do since I was working at home. I wouldn't even acknowledge the fact that I was leaving, I just got up from what I was doing and walked out of the house. I felt sooooo mean, but it was really to the point where this dog didn't want to be away from me, and that's just not a healthy way for him to live so I was out of options. Just work the time up little by little, and don't make a big deal when you leave for work or come home. One thing that my vet told me about was when I get home, continue to put my stuff away or whatever, get myself all settled in and then greet the dog. This way since I was not making a big deal out of leaving or coming home, the dog wouldn't see it as a big exciting event anymore either. Don't get me wrong, he still notices when I am getting dressed to leave and he gets all anxious waiting to see if I grab his leash to see if he is coming with me, but it's much easier on him now. There is no more howling at my house!! He eventually learned that even though I left, I come back too. There is a toy like a Kong, from a different company called the Busy Buddy. I smear a tiny bit of peanut butter in first, then layer in some treats and kibbles. That thing keeps the boys so busy that they don't even notice that I am leaving.

Also, I don't know if you close the door or use a gate when he is in the bathroom, but a baby gate worked better for us. I guess the door being closed was really bothering my dog. We leave either a radio or a tv on so there is some background noise and the boys aren't left alone in a silent house. It also helps to muffle some of the sounds from outside that might get him aggitated (sp?). I'm not gonna lie, it was a pain in the butt process to get him to feel safe when I was away, but it's so much better for us now. Imagine the amount of stress these little ones feel, it's really worth all the effort you guys put into this. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jun 22 2005, 12:05 PM
One of my dogs had bad separation anxiety and the second I was out of his sight the screaming would start.  It was a slow process for us, but now I can leave without any problems and he has become so much more independent!  Dogs like routine, so what I did was leave him for say 5-10 minutes at scheduled times throughout the day.  I have to say it was an easy thing for me to do since I was working at home.  I wouldn't even acknowledge the fact that I was leaving, I just got up from what I was doing and walked out of the house.  I felt sooooo mean, but it was really to the point where this dog didn't want to be away from me, and that's just not a healthy way for him to live so I was out of options.  Just work the time up little by little, and don't make a big deal when you leave for work or come home.  One thing that my vet told me about was when I get home, continue to put my stuff away or whatever, get myself all settled in and then greet the dog.  This way since I was not making a big deal out of leaving or coming home, the dog wouldn't see it as a big exciting event anymore either.  Don't get me wrong, he still notices when I am getting dressed to leave and he gets all anxious waiting to see if I grab his leash to see if he is coming with me, but it's much easier on him now.  There is no more howling at my house!!  He eventually learned that even though I left, I come back too.  There is a toy like a Kong, from a different company called the Busy Buddy.  I smear a tiny bit of peanut butter in first, then layer in some treats and kibbles.  That thing keeps the boys so busy that they don't even notice that I am leaving.

Also, I don't know if you close the door or use a gate when he is in the bathroom, but a baby gate worked better for us.  I guess the door being closed was really bothering my dog.  We leave either a radio or a tv on so there is some background noise and the boys aren't left alone in a silent house.  It also helps to muffle some of the sounds from outside that might get him aggitated (sp?).  I'm not gonna lie, it was a pain in the butt process to get him to feel safe when I was away, but it's so much better for us now.  Imagine the amount of stress these little ones feel, it's really worth all the effort you guys put into this.  Good luck!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74457
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the feedback, yes we are bothered by what he is doing to the wall and his pad, but we are more concerned with him crying and being upset. We will give the 5-10 minute leaving thing a shot in the morning before we leave for work and also on the weekends and we will also see if not making a big deal about coming home will work. He is housed right by the door we use to come in and out, and he gets so excited at times he pees...so maybe this will help...thanks

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I think the ideal thing would be to have a private session with the trainer at home to discuss him learning how to have alone time. Many dogs do better if they are slowly trained for alone time in a crate as the crate can give them a sense of security if introduced to it properly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 22 2005, 04:40 PM
I think the ideal thing would be to have a private session with the trainer at home to discuss him learning how to have alone time. Many dogs do better if they are slowly trained for alone time in a crate as the crate can give them a sense of security if introduced to it properly.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74510
[/QUOTE]

We are going to have puppy classes and see how that goes, we are not opposed to having the trainer do the one on one sessions, we do not like that he is ripping the pad or crying as soon as he is put behind the gate, we do not close him in a room by closing the door, we put him in the area behind a "baby" gate so he can see out (which is suppose to be better)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Ant Nay+Jun 23 2005, 07:33 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Jun 22 2005, 04:40 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74510
We are going to have puppy classes and see how that goes, we are not opposed to having the trainer do the one on one sessions, we do not like that he is ripping the pad or crying as soon as he is put behind the gate, we do not close him in a room by closing the door, we put him in the area behind a "baby" gate so he can see out (which is suppose to be better)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74615
[/B][/QUOTE]

We are also trying to give him "more room" so he will not feel confined, so we extended his gate out into the hall area, and since I left for work my wife said she came down ready to go and he already ripped up his pad...we need to stop this so he does not continue to be destructive...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts