Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just took Cita and Poppy out for some back yard play time. Poppy got the zoomies (on leash.) As I stood in the middle, as Poppy ran around and around and around me .... I thought I'd puke by the time he stopped. :HistericalSmiley:

Now that I know how much he loves being out there, I am trying to figure out my options to give him more freedom, without having to be on the leash all of the time. However, our back yard is way too large and there are too many ways for him to get hurt or get loose.

I have one of those 6' x 6' pens, which I am using in the house right now to gate off the kitchen until he is potty trained. But, even that I don't feel will be big enough for him to have some good running room.

I have looked at other fencing options in the past, but they're either made for large dogs (they're like 5' tall), or they're outrageously expensive.

Does anyone have any other options I could consider? This will not be to leave him out there by himslelf, but an area where we could play with him off leash, with us supervising.

Thanks and HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
707 Posts
When I'm in the front yard doing gardening and Bianca wants to come with me I use one of these PETCO Spiral Tie-Out Stakes at PETCOhttp://www.petco.com/product/6000/PETCO-Spiral-Stake-with-Tie-Out-Cable.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch and over the top I slide a 26 foot retractable leash Flexi Comfort Long Retractable Leash in Green at PETCO. You have to make sure they're wearing a harness so that they don't get tangled up. This way Bianca can move 26 feet in either direction and I don't have to worry about her running into the street.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I'm in the front yard doing gardening and Bianca wants to come with me I use one of these PETCO Spiral Tie-Out Stakes at PETCO and over the top I slide a 26 foot retractable leash Flexi Comfort Long Retractable Leash in Green at PETCO. You have to make sure they're wearing a harness so that they don't get tangled up. This way Bianca can move 26 feet in either direction and I don't have to worry about her running into the street.
Well, I used the spiral tie outs with my big dogs when they were pups, but I hadn't thought about using this with Poppy. My only concern is when he runs too far and gets jolted back. Is there a chance that can do any damage to him?

I worried about that with my other dogs, but they were big dogs and more sturdy.

Thanks and HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well, I used the spiral tie outs with my big dogs when they were pups, but I hadn't thought about using this with Poppy. My only concern is when he runs too far and gets jolted back. Is there a chance that can do any damage to him?

I worried about that with my other dogs, but they were big dogs and more sturdy.

Thanks and HUGz! Jules
If he's wearing a harness he should be ok even if he's jolted back. Just make sure he's not out there with the leash attached to just a collar because that could be fatal.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's another option I've found PetEdge: MidWest Black Electro-Coat Exercise Pens w/out Doors It says that this will give you 16 square feet of play space since each panel is 8 feet wide. I'm sure you can also add extra panels or maybe buy two and put them together.
That is almost like the Precision Pet pen I have set up for him in the house. And you can double the size, so it would be 8' x 8' ... which would be adequate room for him to run and play.

Just thinking out loud here .... Right now I have him on a leash where he can follow Cita, etc. If he's on a tie out it's going to be hard for me to play with him, without always getting caught up in the leash (been there, done that.)

Then again, if I have him in a penned area, I wonder if it will frustrate the heck out of him because he can't follow Cita?

Or, as usual, I wonder if I am over thinking this? :blink:

If I go with the pen option, I could just go and get another 4' x 4' Precision Pet pen, add it to the one I have, and use that. Since Poppy is no longer having accidents in the kitchen, I could get rid of his inside pen, and make the kitchen/eating area his whole area now. I dunno.

Thanks for all the input!! :thumbsup:

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Our fenced area for the Boyz is 32 feet x 26 feet with a 6 foot high wood privacy fence. Escape proof gates.
The Boyz can do their crazy run around a large tree. In the winter Bob makes a duck, duck, goose track and the fun continues. We can sit in lounge chairs in the summer and watch them chasing each other.
We get lots of guest Malts and they always have a ball!!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you guys fence off that area, or was that an already fenced area of your yard? What a great space!!

I ended up going and getting another 4' x 4' that I can add to the one I have .... so he'll have an 8' x 8' area where he can play without being on the leash.

Big HUGz! Jules

Our fenced area for the Boyz is 32 feet x 26 feet with a 6 foot high wood privacy fence. Escape proof gates.
The Boyz can do their crazy run around a large tree. In the winter Bob makes a duck, duck, goose track and the fun continues. We can sit in lounge chairs in the summer and watch them chasing each other.
We get lots of guest Malts and they always have a ball!!!

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I'm coming in a little late here. But if you haven't taken the exercise pen out of the box yet--

made a smaller area in my yard when I wanted to quarantine a "new addition". I got some vinyl "poultry fencing" from Home Depot, attached it to the wooden fence on once side and a heavy wooden stake on the other, and staked the middle up with bamboo plant stakes. I used a safety gate to close off a short opening. I've been surprised that it is still standing after a year and has stood up to some very heavy storms. :thumbsup:

I decided to leave it up so that I could let a dog out to go potty after dark without risking anymore that he'd have too much fun and I'd have to go get him with a flashlight and leash.

This is not terribly attractive, but it was inexpensive--and nobody can see over my wooden fence to know. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to report that we put the 8' x 8' pen out in the yard, and as soon as we put him in there, he did the zoomies for a long time. Weeeeee!

He was outside for several hours yesterday afternoon, and really enjoyed it. Plus, it gave him and Cita (my white shepherd mix) a chance to play without all of us worrying about Poppy getting under Cita. Poppy would do the zoomies, and Cita would run around with him on the outside of the pen. So cute!!!

Thanks for all the help!!

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jules, we did put that area attached to the house. We have guest dogs and rescues and our guys. Much needed area!!
That is great!!! If we were closer, we'd come visit!! :thumbsup:

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I know that our little furbabies love to feel free and run around, but please don't let them out without supervision or at least a top on the cage if you leave them alone. The hawks and birds of prey are notorious for dipping down and grabbing them like a bunny, chicken or even your baby. I have seen this happen so always be safe about this. My sister-in-law had her little dog plucked right out of her yard and a friend had her yorkie attacked while walking on the leash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.