Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people don't realize that 1/4 of all dogs who end up in shelters are purebred. And yes, Maltese are included in that group. Go to petfinder.org and at any given time there are about 150 Maltese that need to be rehomed (Many more are placed without being advertised to people who have been pre-screened). And those are the lucky ones, the ones that don't end up in shelters. Most people don't realize that the vast majority of purebred dogs that end up in euthanized in shelters are produced by backyards breeders, not puppy mills.

Backyard Breeders

Every breed of dog recognized by the AKC has a written standard, a blueprint
of what the dog should look like and act like. These standards were written
so that all would know what a quality example of the breed is and strive to
produce dogs that meet or exceed the standard in health, temperament and
appearance. To be sure you are breeding dogs that meet these standards,
your dogs must be judged by people who have a lifetime of experience among the
breed. Do you know the standard of the Pure Breed Dog? Does your dog
meet this standard according to an AKC Judge? If not, your dog is pet
quality. A pet is to be loved, cherished, trained, cared for, spoiled and
bragged about, but it is NEVER to be bred. No matter how cute or sweet the
dog may be, if it is not up to the standard, you have no business breeding
it.

If you have a purebred dog this does not give you the right to breed it.

Most purebred dogs are not breeding quality. If you breed your pet quality
dog, you are a backyard breeder, whether you breed the dog in your
backyard, garage, living room or an expensive hotel room, the term is still backyard
breeder.

If your pet quality dog has AKC papers, that's nice but it doesn't change
anything. You still don't have the right to breed it.

If your pet quality dog cost you $500 be glad you had the money to afford
it. You still have no right to breed it.

Do you think you can make your $500 back if you breed your pet dog or if
your pet dog is a color or size that isn't in the standard but you just know
everyone will want buy a pup if you breed her? Shame on you! Now you are a backyard
breeder with the purpose of breeding pups for bucks.

Ware you going to do when your beloved pet needs an emergency C section. Will you
even be there with her to know if she is in trouble? Would you recognize
trouble before it's too late?

Do you think genetic testing is something they used in the OJ trial but has
nothing to do with your dog breeding career? You are a backyard breeder.

Backyard breeders sell pups that aren't up to the standard of the breed.
They do this for many reasons. None are good enough reasons to contribute
to the killing of dogs. Period.

Backyard breeders will swear all of their pups went to a good home. They
believe this but it's not true. Some may have been lucky enough to go to a
good home but more than half of them will end up dead, in a shelter, alone,
on a cold table with a needle sticking out of their leg. Some of those good
homes will get tired of the dog and they will just give it away to anyone
who is willing to take it. Some of your beloved dog's children will end up
living alone in a backyard, barking all night, cold and neglected until the
owner gets complaints and then that pups will be dead. Some will be starved
and beaten. Some will be bred until they die from it. Some will end up in
rescue and I will have to find space for it in my home and I will have to
show it that not all humans are bad. I will train it, and feed it the
proper food so it can heal. I will take the fleas off of it and I will get rid of
the worms. I will give it the shots it should have had but no one
remembered to give it. I will do these things because the backyard breeder didn't do it
and wouldn't take the dog back when it was 2 years old and full of problems.

I will spay or neuter that pup before I find it a new home so that I will
never have to rescue one of it's pups and so I can be sure it will never end
up in the hands of another backyard breeder looking to make profit from
puppies.

Backyard breeders are not responsible pet owners. They think they love the
dogs but it's not really true because they don't really want to be bothered
with doing all that it takes to breed ethically. They love feeling
important when they say "I breed "Pure Breed dogs"". But breeding pet dogs isn't
something to be proud of. If a shame on our society. It's the reason for
the killing that goes on in shelters. Why do you want to be part of that?

Do you want to be respected? Spay or neuter you pet dog. There's really no
other way. The kind of homes you want for your pet pups don't want to buy
from you. They are looking for responsible, respected breeders who are
doing something for the breed as a whole. Most of those who will come running to
buy your pups are the kind of people I wouldn't give a dog I didn't like to.
They are the ones who will turn your puppy into a shelter when the novelty
wears off. That's a fact.

Want to stop the problem of killing 1 Million dogs a month all over America?

Spay or neuter your pet dog now and tell everyone you know to do the same
and leave the breeding to the people who are doing something to better the
breed.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some pretty shocking statistics:

Of the 52.9 million dogs who live in the United States, approximately 2.9 million of them are killed in shelters annually (AVMA, 1998, and AHA, 1998). Where do all these dogs come from? Puppy mills churn out 20% of the total number of dogs whelped yearly, and roughly 1% are the results of feral dogs reproducing on their own. Less than 12% come from breeders who actively test their stock in conformation, obedience, and field trials.

Backyard breeders, or people who breed their dogs without testing and certifying their stock, produce nearly 67% of all the dogs born annually in this country (Gardner, 1994)1.

You will not pay more for a pet quality puppy from a reputable breeder than one from a backyard breeder. Unfortunately, there are backyard breeders everywhere: in kennel clubs, advertising in the newspaper, and also in dog publications. The difference is that the ethical breeder has spent time and effort developing the healthiest, soundest, and most representative of the breed possible.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump.

This is an old post but worth reposting.

We focus so much on the problem of puppy mills, but the reality is that backyard breeders are a far greater problem. BYB's produce almost 70% of the puppies whose parents have never had any screening or genetic testing.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Good article, I'm glad you bumped it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I take every opportunity to tell people not to buya puppy from the newspaper, don't do what I did. I even bring it up in orientation at work since Tanner is with me there. Yes he's cute, yes he precious, yes he's sick and here's why. And I shouldn't be surprised at how surprised people are when I tell them this stuff. They just don't know, I mean, I didn't. But now that I do, I am on a mission!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I had never even heard the term "backyard breeder" when I got my first Malt, Rosebud (1989-1992) and Kallie. I knew not to buy from a pet store and to buy from a "breeder". What I didn't know was that there are different kinds of breeders. The people I got Rosebud from were so lovely... he was the conductor of our local symphony ... and they had bred their pet store male and female Maltese. So, I thought all was well. It was about the same with Kallie... two pet store parents. I got both of them at about 8 weeks. It is a miracle that they were OK, as no one told me about hypoglycemia at all or anything else regarding their care. And back then, we didn't have the Internet to help educate.

The things that bother me the most about BYB's are:

1. They let puppies go too early. They think just because they are weaned that it is OK to let them go. I've seen some locally let them go at 6 weeks.

2. They often have outdated or incorrect advice; i.e., I've heard of BYBs suggesting giving the puppy sugar water and other such things to prevent hypoglycemia. Many use a low grade food.

3. I would guess that most BYBs don't do any genetic testing or even know what tests to ask for.

4. Typically BYBs don't give care information to those who purchase a pet, such as how to feed, info on hypoglycemia, etc.

5. Most BYBs seem to be breeding to add extra income. Some have their dogs in dirty and squalid conditions. And everything they do for their puppies takes away from their profit ... so they do as little as possible.

6. Most BYBs will sell to anyone who has the money. There is no screening.

7. Malts from BYBs are likely to be way out of standard.

8. BYBs are the ones you see selling dogs at flea markets ... or worse.

9. Lots of people here on SM and elsewhere report getting their BYB puppies with coccidia, kennel cough and other diseases.

I think price is what makes people go to BYBs. In our local newspaper, I've seen ads for Malts for $500-$700. That can look pretty good to someone who has seen them elsewhere (including pet stores) for $1500 and more.

There are probably degrees with all of this.... There is a lady where I work who breeds Malts. I know she loves them and keeps them in nice surroundings... She breeds her same pair and her puppies are really cute. She doesn't do a lot of screening and she knows nothing about genetic testing, etc. She is a very nice person but I certainly wouldn't buy a Malt from her.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks Marj, That is a fantastic article! I'm glad you bumped it back to the top, I try to read all the older posts but had miss this one. IT was well worth the read

Kallie/catcher's mom, I totally agree with you but you forgot one thing I go bonkers over.. It's when one of these backyard breeders tell you " yeah I'm asking 900 for her and if I don't get it I'll keep her and breed her myself, I'm not going to give her away" (that is just a example) but Really that isn't how you should choose a female to breed into your line.. But I have heard that too many times to mention and it makes me sick every time I hear it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't think a breeder should be labled byb for advertising in the news paper. I occasionally have a puppy that is available for pet and I do use the paper for advertising. All of my puppies are fully tested and screened for health problems before they are ever offered for sale. I offer a 1 year health gaurantee. I stand behind my dogs. I am a show breeder and have been in maltese for 15 years. I had a judge ask to buy Hero for show, but i wouldn't sell him.I am not considered a "Top Tier" . I am not really sure what top tier means other than they have possibly bred and finished more dogs than others. The quality of the others is just as nice just not as $$$ maybe. That being said each breeder should be looked at individually before labeling them. Small breeders have to advertise because some people can't get past the "Top Tier" thing . Small show breeders have excellent quality dogs as well as the Top Tier.
Think about this. To become breeder of the year is how many offspring you have finished in a year. Well how many dogs had to be bred to get enough champions to become breeder of the year. All puppies born are not destined to be champions. These breeders put a lot of hard work into their dogs but they have more out in the ring than the small show breeder. Thus the small breeder has to advertise because he is overlooked for not being a "Top Tier"
I will never be a Top Tier for I will never have more dogs at one time than I can Love,Nurture, and care for by myself without having to hire someone to help me.
If a person isn't breeding for quality and good health then they shouldn't be breeding is my opinion.
I will not label or discredit anyone that I haven't personally checked out or know.
Dogs are like people. There is no gaurantee that every child will be born healthy .
A byb to me is someone with unethical breeding practices whether it be for pet or show and I feel it can be found in either.
Dian

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Very true Dian. Thanks for pointing out some good info about smaller show breeders. You know that I have a fondness for the small show breeder, having gotten my first two maltese that way. I LIKE the fact that the smaller breeders do tend to home raise the dogs and don't have too many litters each year.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't think a breeder should be labled byb for advertising in the news paper. I occasionally have a puppy that is available for pet and I do use the paper for advertising. All of my puppies are fully tested and screened for health problems before they are ever offered for sale. I offer a 1 year health gaurantee. I stand behind my dogs. I am a show breeder and have been in maltese for 15 years. I had a judge ask to buy Hero for show, but i wouldn't sell him.I am not considered a "Top Tier" . I am not really sure what top tier means other than they have possibly bred and finished more dogs than others. The quality of the others is just as nice just not as $$$ maybe. That being said each breeder should be looked at individually before labeling them. Small breeders have to advertise because some people can't get past the "Top Tier" thing . Small show breeders have excellent quality dogs as well as the Top Tier.
Think about this. To become breeder of the year is how many offspring you have finished in a year. Well how many dogs had to be bred to get enough champions to become breeder of the year. All puppies born are not destined to be champions. These breeders put a lot of hard work into their dogs but they have more out in the ring than the small show breeder. Thus the small breeder has to advertise because he is overlooked for not being a "Top Tier"
I will never be a Top Tier for I will never have more dogs at one time than I can Love,Nurture, and care for by myself without having to hire someone to help me.
If a person isn't breeding for quality and good health then they shouldn't be breeding is my opinion.
I will not label or discredit anyone that I haven't personally checked out or know.
Dogs are like people. There is no gaurantee that every child will be born healthy .
A byb to me is someone with unethical breeding practices whether it be for pet or show and I feel it can be found in either.
Dian[/B]
I was really glad to read this Dian. I didnt get my Dexter from a top breader and really didnt get too much information. I know that he was cute and I wanted him. Im not trying to go off on a rant here or make anyone mad but too many times when reading posts I feel that unless you have a top dog that you paid alot of money for and that comes from an excellent line that your dog isnt as good as theirs. That because it didnt come from one of the conditions above that he is not a good maltese. I hear from a few people "I cant belive they sold you dog before 12 weeks...thats just unheard of and any reputable breeder would never do that!". I realize there are standards and that for show quality dogs they need to meet those standards but some of us cant afford a show quality dog so we just go by cuteness
I love all the people here and I love the advice I get,....I just wish that poeple werent made to feel bad for not having a top quality dog. Dexter may have come from a BYB but it doenst make me love him anyless and knowing what I know I wouldnt go back and NOT get him...I wouldnt change a thing. And to get back to your point Dian, just because you are not a top tier breeder doesnt mean that you wont have the most beautiful and loving dogs. Thank you for posting that to make others aware.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Dian[/B]
I was really glad to read this Dian. I didnt get my Dexter from a top breader and really didnt get too much information. I know that he was cute and I wanted him. Im not trying to go off on a rant here or make anyone mad but too many times when reading posts I feel that unless you have a top dog that you paid alot of money for and that comes from an excellent line that your dog isnt as good as theirs. That because it didnt come from one of the conditions above that he is not a good maltese. I hear from a few people "I cant belive they sold you dog before 12 weeks...thats just unheard of and any reputable breeder would never do that!". I realize there are standards and that for show quality dogs they need to meet those standards but some of us cant afford a show quality dog so we just go by cuteness
I love all the people here and I love the advice I get,....I just wish that poeple werent made to feel bad for not having a top quality dog. Dexter may have come from a BYB but it doenst make me love him anyless and knowing what I know I wouldnt go back and NOT get him...I wouldnt change a thing. And to get back to your point Dian, just because you are not a top tier breeder doesnt mean that you wont have the most beautiful and loving dogs. Thank you for posting that to make others aware.
[/B]
I'm sure Dian was, in no way, defending our everyday BYB's. I believe her post was more in defense of the smaller "show" breeders, who also follow the AMA code of ethics. Their pups are every bit as healthy and to standard as the "larger" breeders, and "Top Tier" in my book.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly. There is a huge difference between a small show breeder and a backyard breeder. Show breeders, large or small, start with breeding stock that have had their quality proven in the ring, screen for health problems, and follow the AMA Code of Ethics, especially about the "twelve week rule" and selling pet puppies with limited registration.

A backyard breeder is what is described in the original post.

Dexter's Mom, my Lady is a rescue and either from a byb or pet store, but as far as I am concerned, she is the cutest and most wonderful Maltese in the world and I wouldn't trade her for anything. But I do say "shame on you" to her breeder for bringing this poor baby who must suffer with epilepsy, diabetes, hypothyroidism, arthritis and heart murmur into the world.

By posting articles about the twelve week rule or backyard breeders, for instance, my intent is not to say "shame on you" to anyone who has already purchased a Maltese. It is an attempt to educate those who come here looking for information before selecting a breeder. Spoiled Maltese is the largest Maltese forum on the internet now and I think we have a responsibilty to the breed to do more than just post cute pictures of our Maltese.

Buying that bargain puppy from a backyard breeder may cost you so much more in vet bills over it's lifetime that it is certainly no bargain. I could buy a $2500 female puppy from a top tier show breeder every year for what I spend on Lady's medications alone annually! That's right - her medications and diabetic supplies run $200 a month and that doesn't include vet bills! I feel I have an obligation to share my experience with others so that they may hopefully avoid costly genetic health problems resulting from poor breeding.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Dian[/B]
[/B]
Dexter's Mom, I have a Malt from a BYB, too, and of course we love them so very much. Absolutely. Most people here know that Kallie is from a BYB and I haven't been made to feel bad about that here on SM. From what I have seen here, we love every single Malt and mixes and even totally non-Malts. All I and others are trying to do is share what we have learned over the years, so that potential owners will have the knowledge they need to make a wise decision when purhasing a Malt. And whether a puppy is show quality or not ... the same standards, such as the 12-week rule, apply. And it is true that responsible and knowledgable Maltese breeders do not let theirs go before 12 weeks .... whether show or pet quality.

When someone says they are getting their Malt at 7 or 8 weeks old. We could be silent. Would that really be the thing to do? To not share what we know that is in the best interest of the Malt, and in the best interest of the new owner, as well. What are we to do? It's "darn if we do and darn if we don't". I am willing to take a hit of someone not liking me if I can help educate others and help a little Malt have a better start at a good life.

I hope I haven't offended anyone by my comments. That certainly was not my intention.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are a lot of very good small show breeders out there that always get overlooked because their name isn't always out there. If you look in a show catalog you will usually see 2 or 3 small show breeders with only 1 or 2 entries. Then look at the other entries. The Top Tier will have sometimes have 4 or 5 entries. These dogs are usually with professional handlers which are also $$ .Entries to dog shows are not cheap. The average week end for me showing is around $600.00. This includes travel,lodging,parking,food, and any shopping I might do at the vendors. I show my own dogs so I don't have the added expense of a handler. This does not include the entries which are around $100.00 for a 2 day show with 2 dogs showing. We do get a lot of word of mouth inquiries but we don't always have puppies. Then when we do have a pup available,the inquirers have already gotten one. Then as being small show breeders we must advertise.

I am in no way definding the breeders that are not ethical or breeding just for the $$ or the mass producers of puppies.

I just feel that each breeder should be looked at individually before labeling.

A lot of breeders hide behind the internet and can depict anything they want to .They have beautiful websites. They can say anything they want to on the internet and how will you know if it is true or not? They say they are show breeders,where are the show dogs they produced? Some people have such a way with words that they can make you believe anything.The only way you will know is if you personally check them out. JMHO

Yes Marj, You should stay away from BYB's if you have done your homework and know for sure this is what they are. That is a very good article.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
There are a lot of very good small show breeders out there that always get overlooked because their name isn't always out there. If you look in a show catalog you will usually see 2 or 3 small show breeders with only 1 or 2 entries. Then look at the other entries. The Top Tier will have sometimes have 4 or 5 entries. These dogs are usually with professional handlers which are also $$ .Entries to dog shows are not cheap. The average week end for me showing is around $600.00. This includes travel,lodging,parking,food, and any shopping I might do at the vendors. I show my own dogs so I don't have the added expense of a handler. This does not include the entries which are around $100.00 for a 2 day show with 2 dogs showing. We do get a lot of word of mouth inquiries but we don't always have puppies. Then when we do have a pup available,the inquirers have already gotten one. Then we must advertise.[/B]
Dian, your comments are well taken and appreciated, however, this thread was about backyard breeders and I don't think anyone is insinuating that there is any sort of connection between small show breeders and backyard breeders. The inference above in Marj's quote was that you will find BYBs advertising in the newspaper. I didn't take it to mean that anyone who advertises in the newspaper is a BYB. Breeders such as yourself are considered the good guys.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are a lot of very good small show breeders out there that always get overlooked because their name isn't always out there. If you look in a show catalog you will usually see 2 or 3 small show breeders with only 1 or 2 entries. Then look at the other entries. The Top Tier will have sometimes have 4 or 5 entries. These dogs are usually with professional handlers which are also $$ .Entries to dog shows are not cheap. The average week end for me showing is around $600.00. This includes travel,lodging,parking,food, and any shopping I might do at the vendors. I show my own dogs so I don't have the added expense of a handler. This does not include the entries which are around $100.00 for a 2 day show with 2 dogs showing. We do get a lot of word of mouth inquiries but we don't always have puppies. Then when we do have a pup available,the inquirers have already gotten one. Then we must advertise.[/B]
Dian, your comments are well taken and appreciated, however, this thread was about backyard breeders and I don't think anyone is insinuating that there is any sort of connection between small show breeders and backyard breeders. The inference above in Marj's quote was that you will find BYBs advertising in the newspaper. I didn't take it to mean that anyone who advertises in the newspaper is a BYB. Breeders such as yourself are considered the good guys.....

[/B]
I/m sorry, If I came across wrong. I wasn't insulted at all. Sometimes I feel the need to take up for the small but good breeders.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Good Bump, Marj!!

Sher, you are absolutely right. The more we can educate the better.

My Frankie is from a Backyard Breeder. She was a gift, and given to me when she was 8-weeks-old, come to find out she was only 6-weeks-old. She had a couple of hypoglycemic attacks, and had I not known what was up, she would have died.

The rest of my babies are ALL products of Backyard Breeders and Puppymills.

I look at my Billy everyday, and everyday I tell myself, this crap has to STOP. Why is a 2-year-old walking around without eyeballs!!!

I would also like to add, this forum has been nothing but supportive to me and all the dogs on this forum.

I will FOREVER bash the BYB's and Puppymills. That's why I put on this earth

Thanks again for the bump Marj

1 - 20 of 73 Posts