Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried a new groomer,i always stay with elmo when he gets a haircut,this time he was wiggling a bit so she told me to go away for a few minutes to see how he went,i came back and he was no different(he really was'nt that wriggly)anyway she got distracted by the phone and the next thing blood was all over his face and dripping from elmo's mouth,i had seen when she went to pick up the phone she clipped elmo's tongue with the clippers,there was blood everywhere and she blamed it on elmo biting his tongue,she said she was a vet nurse and she could not find where all this blood was coming from,i found the wound and it was a slice taken from his tongue not a bite mark,never again will i have her groom elmo,she also quoted me a price then charged me more than the quote and i also used my own shampoo,am seriously considering grooming him myself
i will be submitting a write up in our local paper about her to warn people,NO ONE HURTS MY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
aw i feel so bad for elmo !! you know i had chico groomed twice and i just wasnt happy with the amount of time spent there and they put him in a cage with a big dryer on him he was not a happy boy and either was i !!! i groom both my boys myself one a week and save alot of money and no one will treat them like i will you can do it .though now it might be alittle hard since she tramtized him take it slow youll do great ~ Denise

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Apr 4 2005, 10:27 AM
OMG 
  I would have been SO pissed!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way I would have paid... I would have made a scene...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48810
[/QUOTE]

I would be the same way! I would make them pay for me taking the furbaby to the vet and any treatment that was needed.

I would also tell everyone that I know that has a dog to avoid that groomer.
Jeeze! Turn off the clippers when you have to talk on the phone!
I would be so pissed!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Oh no thats horrible!
Poor little Elmo

I would love to find someone I trusted for grooming, but as it is I just do it myself. I used to cut people hair so its not much of a stretch for me, but reading here it seems alot of folks get used to it and do a great job. You'll probably feel much more comfortable after this experience

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The second time I took Lady to a groomer that came highly recommended by a neighbor Lady was injured, too. The groomer sliced a huge (size of a nickel) piece of skin right off the top of her head. No one said a word to me about it when I picked her up. I discovered it myself later that evening. It was so deep it took months to completely heal. She still has a scar 5 years later. It must have bled and bled so I am sure they noticed, but said nothing to me.

I started watching potential groomers, including Petsmart. I saw people leave dogs on a table attached to the grooming noose unattended. I saw girls scissoring away while having their head completely turned to the groomer next to them, chatting, not paying attention. I saw wet dogs being put in cages with dryers attached which I always heard was very dangerous (burns and risk of electrocution). I did not see one situation that I would be comfortable with so I learned to groom Lady myself. 5 years later she has never been injured!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
That is so awefull.They would have had to call the police to get me outta there. I would have been outraged......Diffenitly she should be held responable for any vet. bills.Futhermore if she worked at the place and didnt own it ,I would have insisted she be fired on the spot.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
:eek: You are SO much nicer than I would have been! After I got done crying for my poor baby, they would have had to DRAG me out of there! NO WAY would I have paid! They also would have gotten my vet bill! Probably not anything they could do for the tongue, but I would have taken him anyway! :eek: I am SO sorry this happened to you and Elmo! Awful...just AWFUL!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I also will never take my Teddy to a groomer...I don't trust them to care for him the way I do. My daughters dog is taken on a regular basis...and has had things happen that me my blood boil...Shakira has two layers of hair that is very very thick or I would also do her. Shakira has had cuts on her body afterwards and I too have had personal knowledge of a groomer just this past couple of months who burned a baby to death in a blow dryer...This was when I first got Teddy and I said no way...he is not going.

I just can't imagine that someone did not hear the dog who burned to death cries. How horrible for the owners who thought they were going to have a beautiful baby and instead were told it died at the hands of a groomer.

I never cut hair in my life...but I sure did learn quick enough...I am actually not bad now and Teddy stays so still for me. He knows how much I try never to hurt him.

S

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would try to get her fired too. I would also go ahead and out her in the newspaper. She shouldn't have answered the phone at all. She was with a customer and they could have left a message. That's crazy. I have never had a person doing my hair, leave me to answer the phone! That would be unprofessional!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I hope Elmo feels better!

I cant belive she even asked you to pay after that
i groom Sunny myself but that is just becuase i am cheap. I suppose they have good reasons but i dont understand why most groomers (at least around here) make you drop them off in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon rather than just make an appointment like a normal hair cut where you go in and out.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
O My Gosh this is horrible. I'd be crying, hysterical, and furious. I'm usually calm and collected but not when it comes to my furbabie's health, safety and well being.

Is he OK?

My husband and I have learned how to do all of our grooming and bought the tools so we don't have to subject our babies to potential mishandling.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If I saw that, I'd have to slap her! On the phone and not paying attention while handling scissors. Is it a bad cut? If so, you may need to go to the vet. Maybe you should go back there and get your money back!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ok I have had him all of 1/2 day, but still Ms type A personality here would have thrown an all out temper tantrum they would have given my the cut for free and driven us to the vet. Our lab Ranger may be big but he is a baby, he goes for monthly bathes ( u try fitting a 100 lb dog who wants to play in the water in your tub) while there they smashed his tail in a crate trying to shove him in with the dryer already on. Now if they had stopped turned the dryer off and told him kennel poof Ranger would be in the crate. But anyway I threw such a fit that they not only washed him for free but paid for the xrays on his tail and the stitches. I would get your money back and get them to pay for the vet. You want to make sure that he doesn't need anitbotics being in the mouth and all. Least that is what I would worry about.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the groomer who cut elmo was an owner operater,she was also "supposed to be a qualified vet nurse"i am putting a letter in writing to her requesting a refund and the expenses of the vet visit,if she does not respond i am going to consumer affairs or the better business bureau to make a complaint.i am still outing her in the local paper!when the incident happened i was in shock,there was so much blood,i just paid her to get her out of my sight and to comfort my baby,anger reered it's head after the shock went away.you should of heard my hubby when he found out,he was furious,he said he could'nt even look at him because the cut haircut she gave him was horrendous as well.i will be doing the grooming now,i had 2 maltese growing up and did their grooming but 1 time i nicked 1 of the dogs and it put me off doing it.i will never take him to a groomer again,elmo is much better now but it took a couple of days for him to eat properly and for his personality to come back,he was traumatised poor baby,thanks everyone for your support...........nat and elmo.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Oh the poor baby!!!

I agree with everyone who said that they would not have paid but would have made HER pay in some form or another.

I HATE leaving my babies at the groomers. This last time was the first time in a long time that I didn't do it and then go home to sob until it was time to pick them up. Especially Sir N.....I don't know why I worry about him more, but I do. Little C is also becoming more of a mommy's baby and is not that fond of being left with strangers anymore. Plus, the groomer we used recently is in the vet's office and considering how often she has had to visit HIM, I'm not surprised that she hates to go in there and gets all stressed out.

I went with this groomer because over the months, I have seen her handle and groom LOTS of dogs. I've never seen her even come close to losing her temper. She shows love to every dog she sees, no matter how filthy and matted they are when she gets them. I especially like the way she grooms the little ones--she sits down and holds them on her lap. I loved knowing that Little C would be getting cuddles as she gets groomed and felt sorry for Sir N that he is too big for that. (And he wouldn't agree to sit on her lap anyway)

Sir N was physically injured ONCE at a groomer's. I didn't know about it until later when he suddenly started limping. I took him to the vet panicked, thinking that he was going to need surgery on his knee again. The vet told me flat out that the groomer did it. He said that groomers have to hold legs very tightly and sometimes the legs get strained. YEAH RIGHT!!!! There was no call for the groomer to be pulling tightly on his leg! I caused a scene right then and there (unfortunately, I had already paid) and I never went back to that groomer OR that vet. (Hey, he CONDONED it!)

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I hope lil Elmo gets will soon! Lot's of XOXO's and cuddles from ButterCloud and Noriko.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
OH MY ....I hope Elmo gets better soon, Puddles and I are so sorry.

That witch !!

This worries me so much, have me thinking aboud grooming Puddles myself. I don't know where to start. What kind of shears to buy, ect.

ELMO

1 - 20 of 38 Posts