Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to go out of town on a business trip yesterday so I decided to drop Bailey off at doggie daycare before I got on the road. I had asked my mom to pick him up in the evening and watch him until I got home today….and thought that it would be nice if he got some energy out at daycare so he’d be easier for my mom to manage.

So…I went to the daycare in the morning and had the most frustrating experience ever!!! This is a daycare I had VERY carefully picked, after visiting many, and Bailey has gone there a couple of times before. When I got there this time, the two women that were there barely looked up to acknowledge us. After I said hello, one lady just got up from behind the desk and took Bailey from me. They had a big pen up with about 8 small/medium dogs in it. She went to plop Bailey over the wall of the pen…..which I was shocked at because I thought she would GO IN and introduce him slowly to make sure it goes okay. She must have seen the look on my face because then she went in and opened the gate to the pen to walk in and put Bailey down (and looked annoyed the whole time). One of the dogs was being SO pushy with Bailey. He kept pinning him to the ground, growling at him and just getting in his face…poor Bailey would try walking away and see other dogs but this dog would NOT leave him alone and was being so rude. I kept quiet for a couple of minutes to let her handle it and mediate Bailey’s introduction to the group. The lady just stood there and sprayed the other dog with a water bottle and then walked away.….. finally I had had enough. The other dog was just not being nice at all. I said to the lady, “I’m sorry, I’m not really comfortable with this”…and pointed to the other dog harassing Bailey. The lady gave me the dirtiest look and said, “Um…okay.” And did nothing. I said, again, “Sorry, but is there any way you could do something about this?” She rudely said, “You’re going to have to wait,” then walked away for a couple of minutes. She then took Bailey and set up another pen for him, and put him in there by himself….without saying a word to me. Then I asked, “If you could please watch them and try to reintroduce him to the group later, that would be great.” I mean what is the point of him sitting in a pen alone at daycare…he can do that at home. She was SO rude!!!! I apologized for inconveniencing her and then left. If I didn’t have to get to work, I would have just taken Bailey back home. I was SO upset about this all day. My family thought I was completely overreacting. Am I?? What would you have said/done?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
You definitely did not overreact. It sounds like the staff member was incredibly rude & uncaring. I'm not sure they should have to "introduce" each dog every time you or others come in, but when the other dog was being pushy, they should have intervened...and NOT with a squirt bottle. If I took my two to daycare and found out they were squirting them with water without my permission, I would be suing them. It can damage the dog as far as fear, aggression, etc.

I would ask the owner of the daycare to contact you to discuss this matter. They may be unaware of the way things are being ran there. I wouldn't take Bailey back, that's for sure.

I worked briefly at a dog daycare/boarding facility a few hours a week and after working there I knew I'd never take my dogs to a daycare. The employees were cruel to the dogs, and "behind the scenes" it was not very clean or organized. During a 2hour period daily, all of the lights would get turned off for a "dog nap time" and it would be pitch black (I would be working sometimes during this, and I couldn't see 1 foot in front of me without a flashlight). Naturally, dogs would bark, and an employee would scream & yell at them to "shut up"...and I mean in a REALLY mean tone. It scared ME.

Pet owners are led to believe that dog daycares are like child daycares, but all they essentially are, are glorified kennels. They don't take your dogs out potty, so they go on the floor inside, employees do not seem to interact much with them, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
He is so cute. I would have been ticked off too. You are paying for a service and they should know what they are doing. I would talk to the owner or manager and tell them how Bailey was treated. How very disappointing.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
#1 Bailey is the cutest little guy ever -

Oh my, oh my, oh my - I would have sprayed that witch (and I do mean it with the letter that comes after the letter a) with the bottle myself - shame on her for having anything at all to do with animals!

You did what you had to do - it’s funny how our gut-feelings are usually right - hopefully sweet Bailey will never have to go back there again.

You poor gal, you have been, and continue to go through so much - things will work out, they really will.

Regards,

Allie

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You definitely did not overreact. It sounds like the staff member was incredibly rude & uncaring. I'm not sure they should have to "introduce" each dog every time you or others come in, but when the other dog was being pushy, they should have intervened...and NOT with a squirt bottle. If I took my two to daycare and found out they were squirting them with water without my permission, I would be suing them. It can damage the dog as far as fear, aggression, etc.

I would ask the owner of the daycare to contact you to discuss this matter. They may be unaware of the way things are being ran there. I wouldn't take Bailey back, that's for sure.

I worked briefly at a dog daycare/boarding facility a few hours a week and after working there I knew I'd never take my dogs to a daycare. The employees were cruel to the dogs, and "behind the scenes" it was not very clean or organized. During a 2hour period daily, all of the lights would get turned off for a "dog nap time" and it would be pitch black (I would be working sometimes during this, and I couldn't see 1 foot in front of me without a flashlight). Naturally, dogs would bark, and an employee would scream & yell at them to "shut up"...and I mean in a REALLY mean tone. It scared ME.

Pet owners are led to believe that dog daycares are like child daycares, but all they essentially are, are glorified kennels. They don't take your dogs out potty, so they go on the floor inside, employees do not seem to interact much with them, etc.
Thanks for your response, Lisa! Great to hear from someone who has worked at one of these places. I was horrified at what you said goes on "behind the scenes"...although I really shouldn't be because I worked at a daycare (for kids) when I was in high school...and after that experience, I would be hesitant to leave my future kids at daycare.

Also the reason why I expected the lady to introduce Bailey to the group is because they were all running around in a playpen with high "walls"...if she just dropped him in there over the wall and a fight were to happen, it would definitely take her a while to get inside the pen. Also, these were all new dogs Bailey had never met before, and some of them were bigger. So it made me nervous to think no one would be in that space to "chaperone" the introduction. I guess I am way too overprotective when it comes to him! :)

People always tell me I am SUCH a protective (read: crazy) pet-parent that they can only imagine how I would be when I have kids!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is so cute. I would have been ticked off too. You are paying for a service and they should know what they are doing. I would talk to the owner or manager and tell them how Bailey was treated. How very disappointing.
Thanks Pammy! Good to know you would feel the same way. I think I will be calling the manager tomorrow for sure.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Aawwww I love those piccies,he's such a fluffy cutie pie...
That's why I fear using anyone other than our vet for boarding,it's not as fancy as the doggie day cares I've seen but I know they're safe and well cared for. I'da B- slapped her....

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
#1 Bailey is the cutest little guy ever -

Oh my, oh my, oh my - I would have sprayed that witch (and I do mean it with the letter that comes after the letter a) with the bottle myself - shame on her for having anything at all to do with animals!

You did what you had to do - it’s funny how our gut-feelings are usually right - hopefully sweet Bailey will never have to go back there again.

You poor gal, you have been, and continue to go through so much - things will work out, they really will.

Regards,

Allie

Thanks Allie! No, Bailey will absolutely not be going back there! It's disappointing because I looked at so many places and thought this was the best one...and I actually have to drive half an hour out of my way to get there but I did it because I thought Bailey needed the playtime with other dogs. I guess I'll start my search again or just scrap the daycare thing all together and just join some doggie meetup groups.

I also was very mad about the spray bottle...they better not have sprayed my baby!!!

Thank you for your support!

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Aawwww I love those piccies,he's such a fluffy cutie pie...
That's why I fear using anyone other than our vet for boarding,it's not as fancy as the doggie day cares I've seen but I know they're safe and well cared for. I'da B- slapped her....
Well Captian,

You took the words right out of my mouth! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Honestly, I would have said nevermind, picked him up and left. If they were that crappy about it while you wre there, I'd be terrified of what they'd be like once you left. I would never leave him there again. And I would complain to the owner and tell them why you will never be back.

I LOVED the new pics - he is adorable!!!! :)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I do not think you were overreacting. I guess I would have asked for the owner/manager. I don't think they introduce dogs coming in, but they should monitor them closely. At our day care in my area we can watch them from a computer at home or the office. It is a web cam...find out if they have one. I would probably just use a different one though.

Your Bailey is...ADORABLE!!:wub:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
It is strange that they keep all the dogs in a pen and just keep putting more in there.
Wouldn't the dogs feel better meeting each other in a larger space?
They'd have room to get away if they wanted.
But for her to place your dog right in the face of another dog who was growling, isn't that just asking for problems? Yeesh!
I can see why you didn't care for the place.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Oh, the pics are so cute! That first pic....Bailey is just saying to me, "come, Auntie Suzi, come play wif me, throw my ball!" Awwww, he has such an adorable face and expressive eyes!! :wub:

Well, that is just awful, how unprofessional of her. She should be fired. Yes, I would contact the owner and complain. I would also let the owner know that you will be letting others know exactly what happened.

Wow, that's scary and abusive. Years ago, we used to take Cody to a daycare and I would drive off and park and watch from another parking lot to see how often they actually take them outside to do their business. It wasn't often, imo. Also, I could watch through a window from a connecting pet store. Everytime I would stop in and look in the window, the dogs were all in their crates resting. I inquired with the owner. Of course, he said, they need their rest. But, they were left in their crates most of the day. We pulled Cody out of there.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
so sorry this happened! I would call and speak with the owner too. Please let us know what their reaction is and what they say in response to this.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I did not come across something similar as I leave my malts with my family when I have to leave. Very very very thankful for them; I highly trust them with my malts. I know that they are capable of caring for them and have a brother who is 100% me in personality when it comes to the malts, so I know that the malts are safe and are in the place where they belong when I am gone!

I am really sorry that you had to go through this with precious Bailey:wub: (AWWWWWWH I especially love that picture of him with the ball in his mouth, I can see his personality shines. the other picture is also cute:wub:)

If I came across a similar situation, I think that my reacton will be something similar to this (bellow)

Honestly, I would have said nevermind, picked him up and left. If they were that crappy about it while you wre there, I'd be terrified of what they'd be like once you left. I would never leave him there again. And I would complain to the owner and tell them why you will never be back.
Yes, I will for very sure complain to the owner!

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
I agree with some of the others - you are not overreacting. I used PetSmart's doggy daycare once and wasn't thrilled but needed them somewhere safe while a new floor was being installed.

I've since found an absolutely wonderful daycare that is fairly new and run by huge doggy lovers. They adore Sweetness and Tessa and have encouraged me to call during the day to see how the girls are doing. I've also "lurked" to see how often they take the dogs outside and it's every hour or so.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
You did not over-react. You handled it much better than I would have. I'm really over-protective with my girls. I have never left them anywhere. They are both so tiny (4 lbs) and sensitive. If I should have to leave them, I hope I can leave them at home with someone they know. I would never go to a place like that.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
I agree, you are not overreacting. I just took care of my friend's dog because she/we were not confident in boarding him. It was such a worry.

As for your friends saying that you are such a protective mommy....reply with something like....

"Thank you, I'm his owner that's what I am supposed to do and as for kids, they deserve to be protected as best I can".

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Overreacting? You've got to be kidding! No definitely not!!!

I would never ever go there again. And I would write a letter to the owner explaining why you won't be going there again. If those two gals were the owners, then send the letter to them. Maybe it'll help another dog some time.

Personally, I am not at all fond of doggy day care situations. Maybe if they have an area for dogs under 10 pounds it could work. And if the place is extremely well run .. maybe.

Your instincts were absolutely right on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts