Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I tried cutting Macy's hair and it was a total disaster. Her hair looks so choppy. I used grooming scissors because that was what the grooming lady used last time when I took her in to get her hair cut. I thought I could cut her hair myself and save some money but it looks so awful. What can I do to make her look like herself again? Please help!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
poor thing..many of us have our grooming miseries..either from a real groomer, ourself, or both...

Maybe you can try the clippers with a guard...start out long and go down in guard size until it is helping to even it out some...it might end up being shorter than you intended originally, but it will grow...trust me...

good luck...maybe some others will have better advice...but that is what I would do...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Use a thinning shears to help blend the hair. It might still look a little choppy but after a week it should be fine.

To cut Lexi's hair I use the Wahl Designer clippers. You can get them at Sally's for around $35. The are pretty easy to use. I use a small scissors on her face, feet and sometimes her legs. I think the scissors would be a lot harder to use. I would recommend starting with a clippers. If you take care of the clippers it should last you a really long time.

·
Registered
831 Posts
its funny,but last time I cut Maya's hair. I did a horrible job at it.
it also look choppy (i used cissors) but the funny thing was that a lot of people would said that her hair cut look great :wacko: only my hubby was able to tell what a bad job I did to her :D

steponme, dont worry her hair will grow in no time. sorry I cant be of more help!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Awww, we do Caesar's hair ourself too, it usually looks choppy at first and we continue to trim here and there a couple days later. Yesterday I cut his hair myself with scissors and then used clippers to try to even it out more, it looks less choppy, but I hope its not too short. My hubby was at the football game so it was a surprise for him came home to a very short haired puppy...i hope he wont get cold cause it is so short
But honestly ours usually looks choppy too, so we just kind of trim here and there for a couple days, then it grows out some and u can't tell at all and it does save quite a bit of money! :D

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 1 2004, 02:53 PM
Use a thinning shears to help blend the hair.  It might still look a little choppy but after a week it should be fine.

To cut Lexi's hair I use the Wahl Designer clippers.  You can get them at Sally's for around $35.  The are pretty easy to use.  I use a small scissors on her face, feet and sometimes her legs.  I think the scissors would be a lot harder to use.  I would recommend starting with a clippers.  If you take care of the clippers it should last you a really long time.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14331
[/QUOTE]

Hey Lexi's mom! I was just wondering if you have to use scissors at all after you use the clippers.

Steponme--the best advice is to leave it alone...HAHAHA. I gave the worst haircut to Cloud the other day. I was so stressed. It wasn't even my first time! I trim his face all the time. But this last time I could NOT get it right for the life of me and I ended up cutting way too much off. He doesn't have that fluffy maltese look anymore. On a positive note, at least everyone thought her cut looks good. Everyone notice Cloud didn't as cute anymore. Thank Goodness Cloud isn't as vain as me

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Nov 1 2004, 10:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Nov 1 2004, 02:53 PM
Use a thinning shears to help blend the hair.  It might still look a little choppy but after a week it should be fine.

To cut Lexi's hair I use the Wahl Designer clippers.  You can get them at Sally's for around $35.  The are pretty easy to use.  I use a small scissors on her face, feet and sometimes her legs.  I think the scissors would be a lot harder to use.  I would recommend starting with a clippers.  If you take care of the clippers it should last you a really long time.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14331
Hey Lexi's mom! I was just wondering if you have to use scissors at all after you use the clippers.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14409
[/B][/QUOTE]

I use the clippers on her torso area (back, chest, and stomach area), neck and sometimes her legs. I then use the scissors on her head and feet.

Last time I gave Lexi a haircut I overdid it big time.
Her hair was really short. I also cut her ears to the end of the flesh. I cut a lot of hair from around her neck and face. It was kind of choppy, but I seemed to be the only one to really notice. Everyone else thought she looked cute. That was in August and I'm now letting the hair grow out. I think it is now about 3 inches long.

My point is that we are a lot of times our worst critiques. Give it a few days and you might not think it is as bad as you orginally thought.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 2 2004, 09:30 AM
My point is that we are a lot of times our worst critiques.  Give it a few days and you might not think it is as bad as you orginally thought.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14455
[/QUOTE]

I think in your mind you have a specific idea on how you want your babies to look. And if it ends up not looking like it, it's just looks totally ugly. But it's not because it's a really really bad haircut. It's just that it's TOTALLY what you're not expecting. Kinda like food. You try something new for the first time or something thinking that it'll taste a particular way. But then when you taste it you're totally off and even though it really doesnt taste bad, but, because you were expecting something else, you get grossed out. Does that makes sense at all!?!??!?!?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts