Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Miami Herald on Jan 10 a story titled "Tiny pooches a big and pricey trend" ran. I couldn't get the url because the story was so old it was in the archives and it was $2.95 to see it.

Anyway, it ran in our local paper today.....here's a few excerpts.

".....without her toy Pomeranian, Sven, tucked into her bag or under her arm, the 18-year-old Hollywood, Fla., woman just doesn't feel dressed."

Inspired by celebrities such as Paris Hilton and Hilary Duff, dog owners are hitting the town with their pint-size pooches in tow...."

"The exposure has fueled growing sales for teacup breeds, which weigh fewer than 4 pounds fully grown. Involuntary sighs of "aww" and squeals of delight provide a constant soundtrack at Teacups Puppies and Boutique on Stirling Road in Hollywood, Fla. The shop sells tiny Yorkies, chihuahuas, Maltese, at $995 and up.."

"But tiny dogs are pets, not accessories, and they live 13 to 15 years, said owner Eleonora Bonfini. She frequently refuses to sell puppies to people who seek teacups as purse adornments, not longtime companions" (How sporting of her...never mind the puppy mills the puppies came from)

"They are like premature babies," said Bonfini, who recently sold teacup puppies to teen-pop singer Hilary Duff and actress Mandy Moore. "These little lives require a lot of attention. Unless you get that, you can't have one" (yeah, right! Hilary and Mandy are stay-at-home celebrities)

Nikki Waller wrote the piece for the Herald and I am going to write to her and challenge her to do a piece on puppymills to counter her advertisment for Teacups Puppies and Boutique. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Jan 28 2005, 04:03 PM
Nikki Waller wrote the piece for the Herald and I am going to write to her and challenge her to do a piece on puppymills to counter her advertisment for Teacups Puppies and Boutique.  I'll let you know what happens.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32141
[/QUOTE]

Good idea. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I recently told off a friend who called my puppy an "accessory". I was so annoyed that anyone could think that way of any living thing! Does anyone else think it's odd that all these "so called breeders" claim to sell their dogs to the same celebrities? I would not trust the word of a puppy broker/puppy mill supporter!!! I just don't see Hillary Duff walking in off the street and buying a pup from that woman. I may be wrong, but if you have all kinds of money wouldn't you want to buy from the best? I know I would.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just fired off the letter about the Teacup article and why an article on puppymills needs to follow....it's in the mail.

If anyone wants to write to the author:

Nikki Waller
Miami Herald
One Herald Plaza
Miami, FL 33132

Letter to the Editor:

Email: [email protected]
FAX: 305-376-8950
Mail: The Readers Forum (at the above address)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts