Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought Alex's luxating patella was acting up and we went to the vet this morning. Well, it has nothing to do with the patella. He thinks it's Cruciate Ligament Rupture. He recommends immediate surgery witch I am of course not ready for especially that we want to go to Arizona for Christmas and the problem with his platelets. We have done x-rays this morning and another platelet test and will await the results to make a final decision.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Poor baby!! if it comes down to it he needs surgery now there is a place around here that will do any nessesary medical work and let you pay as you can bit by bit, will even cover it totaly for some people. So you might want to look for a place like that around you...hopfully none of that will be nessesary though
think happy thoughts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I hope all is well for you and I hope you have a good trip to Arizona
Take care and 100's of XOXO's to Alex from ButterCloud and Noriko.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
so sorry to hear...you are the second one to mention a cruciate problem. that is unusual b/c it is usually a large dog problem. do they know what the cause was? what kinda platelet problem does he have?...(sorry if im being nosey, im a vet student trying to learn)

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alex has idiopatic thrombocytopenia. That means his platelet count is too low and they don't know the cause (idiopatic). He is still taking 1/4 pill prednisone a week. If this test comes back ok we can stop completely the prednisone and he will be in remission. If the platelet count is too low the surgery cannot be performed because he would bleed to death. If you ever see RED PATCHES on your dog's skin, this is a warning. Don't wait, go right away to the vet. If you wait too long, your dog will need a transfusion or even die.
Alex is 7-½ years old. There is a chronic form of cruciate damage that can occur due to weakening of the ligaments and comes with age. Otherwise they can get that from injury.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i just love learning about all the idiopathic diseases in school...we hope there is a reason found for every problem, but as we go through school we learn that some things have to be left unknown......i guess they ran many tests on himt o try to figure it out? poor thing. hope he has improved.

V

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Nov 23 2004, 05:37 PM
I thought Alex's luxating patella was acting up and we went to the vet this morning. Well, it has nothing to do with the patella. He thinks it's Cruciate Ligament Rupture. He recommends immediate surgery witch I am of course not ready for especially that we want to go to Arizona for Christmas and the problem with his platelets. We have done x-rays this morning and another platelet test and will await the results to make a final decision. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18192
[/QUOTE]
Sweetie that is not good news! I know that you will get all the information together so you can make a good decision. Now this is one here I would Like to hear from"Jackie"....is there a way to contact her so she would post on this forum now that pmr...can't be posted on?

Alex is in my prayers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Alex, buddy, what's with you. Just when we think you're on your way to getting better, you give us another scare. Janine, you and Alex are in our prayers. Hopefully his platelets are up and he's in remission there. God Bless.

Mike :D and Bulilit

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Nov 23 2004, 08:13 PM
Alex has idiopatic thrombocytopenia. That means his platelet count is too low and they don't know the cause (idiopatic). He is still taking 1/4 pill prednisone a week. If this test comes back ok we can stop completely the prednisone and he will be in remission. If the platelet count is too low the surgery cannot be performed because he would bleed to death. If you ever see RED PATCHES on your dog's skin, this is a warning. Don't wait, go right away to the vet. If you wait too long, your dog will need a transfusion or even die.
Alex is 7-½ years old. There is a chronic form of cruciate damage that can occur due to weakening of the ligaments and comes with age. Otherwise they can get that from injury.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18264
[/QUOTE]

Hi, I am so sorry to hear about Alex's health problems. I don't want to throw you a "red herring" but have you had Alex's thyroid checked? The reason I ask is that my first Maltese, Rosebud, had a similar problem in 1993 and it turned out to be her thyroid. Here is what happened:

She was scheduled for surgery to check her bladder and they did a blood test first and the vet called me and was totally stunned to find out that her blood count was just awful.... lots of things were "out of wack"... platelets being one of them. He asked if she seemed OK... and she did... you'd never know.

The next day he did a blood transfusion and then a bone marrow biopsy but it showed nothing but inflammation, I think. The next day he did a full body biopsy... biopsied everything!! (And on top of that she got burned on the operating table.... her back had been shaved for the biopsy the day before and the vet had her on a heat pad or something for the surgery and she had burns so badly that she had to go in every single day for months to have the burn cleaned and wrapped ... p.s. I no longer go to that vet!!)

Anyway, still nothing was found for the odd blood situation. My vet gave up and sent us to the NC State Vet School Hospital. They ran a zillion tests and still her blood work was weird. After a couple weeks there, they sent her home... still not knowing what was causing the weird blood work.

After coming home from NC State, my vet was doing blood tests several times a week and then the blood started being lipemic... which means too much fat in the blood to get results. One of the symptoms of thyroid disease is lipemia.... So they did a thyroid test ... found the low thyroid... put her on medicine and her blood work was normal for 9 more years! This whole nightmare was from October until late Februrary and the problem was her thyroid!!

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to tell this story in case it could help Alex or anyone else.....

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
My ears are burning LOL

A very small partial tear may successfully be treated with crate rest. You need to have x-rays taken and see an orthopedic surgeon to evaluate the extent of the tear. If surgery is recommended, have the ortho do it. It will be a little bit more expensive, but he needs to have his patella stabilized at the same time as the cruciate repair. Cruciate tears are notorious for causing degenerative joint disease the longer they are left untreated because the joint is so unstable. This is why surgery is recommended sooner rather than later.

Expect him to be on rest for at least 6 weeks, probably longer. Also expect to start physical therapy at home fairly quickly after surgery.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
have you had Alex's thyroid checked ?

He had a complete blood panel done including the thyroid. The whole chibang costed me 367 $. It was a costly peace of mind but worth it since the vet who examined him (not his normal vet who was not in and I did not want to wait for his return) thought it might be a rash of some sort.

I will keep up posted when I get the x-ray results. With Thanksgiving it's probably not going to be before Monday.

In the meantime we are traumatizing the poor thing by giving him too much attention and trying to keep him from jumping. He thinks he has done something wrong.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Awww, i hope he's feeling better and everything goes well with you both!
Until you get the results, just relax and have a great holliday and eat too much turkey.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The vet clinic already called me. The bad news, he definately needs surgery. The good news, his platelets are normal (276). The surgery will be performed by an orthopedic surgeon. I told them I want to talk to him first. He won't be in before Monday. I also got an estimate of the cost. It's actually cheaper then what I expected. But if I ask them to do also the stabilizing of the patella, it probably will come to the amount I had in mind.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts