Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Help Help! I just got a few pictures from the breeder and MuShu's face looks awfully stained. Maybe I'm expecting too "white" of a face but at 8 weeks young, is this too stained? Do you think it's from the breeder not cleaning frequently enough or is this expected. I've just seen so many pictures of puppies with SUPER white faces. The photo in my profile is current and there's 2 more in my album, please look @ Mushu and let me know what you think? Thanx! I'm about to cry!!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Princess never had any tearstaing until she start teething. (like 5 months old) My vet told me that if ur dog doesn't have any tearstaing before teething then he won't get any later on. Just during teething.

Did u already pay for ur breeder?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Lani@May 14 2005, 03:07 AM
Princess never had any tearstaing until she start teething. (like 5 months old) My vet told me that if ur dog doesn't have any tearstaing before teething then he won't get any later on. Just during teething.

Did u already pay for ur breeder?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62297
[/QUOTE]
Yes I paid 1/2 of it as the deposit. I just don't know if the stain is too much for 8 weeks. Do you think that is grounds for getting the deposit back?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Ruby Jean has pretty bad staining .... -we got her at 12 weeks and she was pretty bad. She's gotten better but I don't believe she'll ever be truly white. I've tried just about everything I can to try to remove them. I've asked our vet about flushing her tear ducts etc. and he doesn't think its necessary to put her under for cosmetics-not a health issue-and I agree with him. Everyone loves her little "brown" face
- she's the sweetest dog I've ever had and I can't imagine my life without her-stained face or not. But I know what your concern is...if your having second thoughts go with what you really want. For some reason I saw past the stains to the sweet little dog that Ruby is....but I have to admit it does bother me sometime-I of course would love it if she had a white face. But its to late I'm already hooked!!
Good luck on whatever you decide-your so smart to be thinking this out!!
--MuShu is adorable!! Her staining doesn't look to bad--it wouldn't surprise me if it was from teething! I feel for you having to make a decision like this!! Good luck!!
By the way-Ruby's staining is not nearly as bad as it is in my avatar-I need to update her picture-we had Ruby about a month when that picture was taken...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut is misssing tear ducts so his face was a little stained at 12 weeks when I got him. It got worse as he got older and began cutting his adult teeth, but now that that's all done he's still a teeny bit stained, but that's expected with the missing ducts.

TicTac at 7 weeks through 12 weeks had no staining at all, the breeder sent me pics of him. He is beginning to stain a little bit now but that was after adjusting to living with us and also his hair is getting longer and when it's not pulled back, it sticks him in the eyes which can cause eyes to tear more. He's still just a pup though.

I'm not sure if the staining is enough to be able to cancel the purchase, but if you are truly uncomfortable with it after getting other's opinions then I would tell the breeder how you are feeling. This time of year is also bad for allergies, I don't know if that could be contributing, there are definately more experienced people here on SM who can help you. Did you talk with the breeder about it at all? I was just wondering if she gave you any kind of reasoning for the staining. I hope it all works out for you, i know how much you've been looking foward to having MuShu home. Good luck!!!
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The tear staining on the face looks about average to me. If you are very picky about tear staining, there will be some Maltese that don't tear stain. Personally, all three of my Maltese stain but I clean their faces and use Eye Envy to manage it. I also use distilled water. After all these years, tear staining is part of Maltese to me now. It will be difficult to find a Maltese that does not tear stain.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm with Charmypoo. Tearstaining is a reality most of us face.

Sylphide tearstains. Sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's good. The only way I could completely remove it was to us the Milk of Magnesia-Peroxide-Corn Starch mix, but that dried up and frizzled her face hair. So I stopped.

I refuse to use one of the antibiotics based treatments that removes tearstaining but could weaken her immune system. She might need antibiotics for an infection or serious illness one day.

My solution now: I use a stylique pen shaped clipper to gently and carefully shave the tearstained areas off, leaving all of her long facial hair, but catching the worst of the tearstained area. You can't tell it's shaved, and this really works! You won't be able to do this on a puppy, because it requires absolute grooming stillness. I didn't start doing this until Sylphide was over one year old.

Until then, daily facewashings with a warm facecloth and a dab of puppy shampoo has been the best. It doesn't remove all the stain, but keeps the face fresh and clean. Now I combine an occasional clipping (evey 3-4 weeks) with daily washings.

Shrek, on the other hand, has virtually no tearstaining. His mom was from a non-tearstaining bred strand and her face was absolutely pristine white. His dad had stains, though. Shrek gets the occasional dab at the corner of the eye.

Oh, and just so you know, most photos of Maltese that look so very perfect in advertising, magazines, books, and on websites, etc. have been touched up using digital imaging software such as Adobe Photoshop. There a few tools in the program that turn tearstained areas white at the touch of a button.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Our little guy had no tear staining at 12 weeks when we got him. Since then he has had minor tearstaining that only really happened while he was eating Chicken Soup for Dog Lovers Soul dog food. He does get small amount of eye boogers maybe every few days that are easy to remove. He is now 2 yrs old. However, even if he had more staining, I would love him all the same

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey is pretty good with the tearstaining. I do try to wash her face everyday to keep on top of any staining. Lacey had really bad tearstaining a week ago and I knew she had an ear infection so back to the vet we went. Vet was amazed that I knew she had the infection. She couldn't see anything but she did a lab test that came back that she had the infection. My regular vet was on vacation so we saw the other vet. My vet knows that I know Lacey and when there is a problem.

When I went to pick Lacey from the litter there was a little puppy that had horrible eye staining. She was just cute but I didn't pick her just for the reason of the tearstaining. Lacey's little face was very clean.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Massimo has staining. If I keep up with it, it's fine. When I let it go a while I just put a bit of peroxide on it. You have to be veeeeery careful- I use a Q-tip and Massimo stays very still for me. I don't have to do that more that once a month. Everyday I rinse the area with Collyrium and once in a while I rinse his eyes with it, it really works. I also keep the hair around his eyes trimmed. He did have staining pretty bad around 5 months or so and it didn't let up until around 8 or 9 months. But truthfully I really don't mind it. I love him, staining and all.

-c

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like staining is a reality. I guess I wished that their faces was prestinely white. But that's the perfectionist in me speaking. Thank you for all your responses. I will be diligent about the cleaning and keep it as clean as I can.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy had some nasty tear staining when I first got him and I was concerned about it too.. especially since his parents also had bad staining. I started giving him filtered water in a stainless steel bowl and combing the boogies out of his hair and the staining virtually disappeared. He still stains every now and again but it will usually go away on its own. I don't use any of the eye wash products or even wash his face all that often. And if it ever gets noticeable I'll just cut the stained pieces off.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When we picked Beastie up at 12 weeks, I was a little shocked to see the amount of tearstaining he had. His 2 sibs seemed to have it as well, but not to the extent he did. When we brought him for his first vet visit, I learned a lot. My vet has been raising and showing Malts since she was a child, and did her doctoral dissertation on tearstaining in Malts, so I was pretty confident in what she had to tell me. First, she said she'd wait until he was neutered, and while he was under anesthesia, she'd check his tear ducts. They turned out to be present and open, but physiologically blocked by enlarged tonsils. She said she would wait until all of his adult teeth were in, and then treat the tonsillitis with tetracycline, an antibiotic that cannot be given any earlier - the adult teeth MUST be in, or else the tetracycline discolors them forever. She said that once he was treated, the chances of the tearstaining going away would be about 80%. If he were in the 20% that didn't clear up, it would be due to allergies (provided it wasn't due to small hairs sticking into his eyes) and would always be problematic. Cosmetic relief, such as peroxide/maalox/cornstarch would be the only help.

He starts the tetracycline on the 24th of May, provided the doggy dentist agrees all his adult teeth are erupted. If it clears up, I'll be delighted. If it doesn't, it won't change how I feel about him one iota. I think that in Malts, if you have a healthy one, count your blessings. That to me is the most important thing, bar none.

Hey everyone, is it me, or am I really starting to get longwinded? :new_Eyecrazy:

PS - Sylphide's mom is right; a little airbrushing goes a long way!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
None of the vets I have been to would recommend using antibiotics for tear staining. I have heard some people had to basically force their vet to prescribe it. I don't use antibiotics personally based on the recommendation of one of my mentors. But others have told me to. I prefer working with them slowly and keeping up with the cleaning. All of my Maltese stain but it takes time and effort to keep their faces white.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Didi, don't worry about tear staining. You really can't tell what she'll end up with until she grows up. I got Kallie at just under 8 weeks
and her entire face was red, all the way to her beard area ...just totaly red staining everywhere.

I put her on distilled water and a premium food without dyes and it helped about 50% but she was still very red. Over time, it completely went away and now all she has is a teeny bit at the corners of her eyes that is not enough to even worry with.

So, don't fret.... enjoy your baby!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@May 30 2005, 12:11 PM
Didi, don't worry about tear staining. You really can't tell what she'll end up with until she grows up. I got Kallie at just under 8 weeks 
  and her entire face was red, all the way to her beard area ...just totaly red staining everywhere.

I put her on distilled water and a premium food without dyes and it helped about 50% but she was still very red. Over time, it completely went away and now all she has is a teeny bit at the corners of her eyes that is not enough to even worry with.

So, don't fret.... enjoy your baby!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66849
[/QUOTE]

Thanx Kalli/Catcher's Mom! I feel alot better knowing that! Now I'm just gonna concentrate on him eating!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts