Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont wanna sound like a complainer or anything but since I started driving around 7yrs ago... NJ drivers are just getting worse! It isnt even a pleasure to drive anymore. People are so rude on the road. I hate all the tailgaters out there (sorry If your one of them...haha)... it just drives me CRAZY!
I'm NOT a slow driver either! I was doing 59 in a 50 zone and someone was allllllll over my butt! It drove me nuts! I could understand if I was going under the speed limit but I wasnt! People give me the finger for this same reason! I cant figure this out... i'm doing over the speed limit and people are being rude to me. I drive a corvette and people dont realize that I'M going to be the first person pulled over for speeding... so i try to only do about the most 9 mphs over the speed limit. In NJ we also have traffic circles.. and the person in the circle has the right of way... the people outside of the circle have to yield to the cars in the circle... well.. NO ONE DOES THAT! They just go... and I cant even tell you how many times someone came soo close to smacking into my car! People cut me off all the time... and everyone has an attitude! Like I said.. i'm NOT a bad driver either!
(i'm not just saying that either.. cause I complain about those bad drivers out there that are just a hazzard on the road!) I just had to vent.. sorry... I just dont see this problem gettin any better in NJ because more people are moving here.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I feel ya. Last I heard, TN (or just Nashville) was No. 1 in drunk driving and 3rd in worst driving. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was in VA afew months ago. Dude, it is so scary driving there. I didn't drive but oh my goodness. Don't even think about signaling to get through. If you signal, they'll drive faster so you can't cut! I drove in LA before and wasn't even scared, but VA was freaky.

I use to be a tailgaiter but I would have sworn to you that I wasn't driving too close.
I was young. lol. If ppl tailgate me to the point I get scared, I just slow down. I dont care if I get any middle fingers or not. LOL

·
Registered
162 Posts
No KIDDING about NJ! Holy crap! We live in PA, and go to NJ for vacation and we go to NYC a lot. It's crazy over there!
My husband thinks it's easier to drive ON Manhattan rather than NJ sometimes because we've almost been hit so many times.

·
Registered
755 Posts
mee, I know what you mean....I thought LA and NY are the worst places to drive. People just don't know how to drive around here.
When I lived in OC, it was a lot better. It's because there are too MANY people and cars in LA.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Has anyone ever driven in Hawaii? Let me tell you how totally cool Hawaiians are. I rented a moped there and it wouldn't go any faster than 27 mph!!! I was FREAKED! I was going slower than that the first time I drove one ON A MAIN ROAD. The speed limit was 45mph. You'd think I'd be bombarded by middle fingers, but nope! Everyone was so laid back and kind. People passed me as politely as possible. I wish I lived in Hawaii.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 15 2004, 08:25 PM
Has anyone ever driven in Hawaii?  Let me tell you how totally cool Hawaiians are.  I rented a moped there and it wouldn't go any faster than 27 mph!!!  I was FREAKED!  I was going slower than that the first time I drove one ON A MAIN ROAD.  The speed limit was 45mph.  You'd think I'd be bombarded by middle fingers, but nope!  Everyone was so laid back and kind.  People passed me as politely as possible.  I wish I lived in Hawaii.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16515
[/QUOTE]

i havent drove in Hawaii but my bf drove for me (that was before i had a license)

so i cant really say if hawaiians were nice or not..haha

but there were lots of One Ways and my bf didnt know and we nearly smashed into a BUS!!

scarey...

:eek:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Mee--That was a quick response. Didn't you love Hawaii? I was on Oahu/Honolulu and Kauai.

I was JUST telling my bf earlier today we should move to NJ because I heard there's alot of jobs there for ppl with chemistry degrees. But now that you say the driving there is horrible, forget it. LOL.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 15 2004, 08:25 PM
Has anyone ever driven in Hawaii?  Let me tell you how totally cool Hawaiians are.  I rented a moped there and it wouldn't go any faster than 27 mph!!!  I was FREAKED!  I was going slower than that the first time I drove one ON A MAIN ROAD.  The speed limit was 45mph.  You'd think I'd be bombarded by middle fingers, but nope!  Everyone was so laid back and kind.  People passed me as politely as possible.  I wish I lived in Hawaii.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16515
[/QUOTE]

I heard people are nice in Hawaii... I wish I was there!
Are you really not going to come to NJ now?????

Originally posted by Mystify79@Nov 15 2004, 09:08 PM
I'm an admitted road rager.. and Lubbock has some horrible drivers so I'm always yelling in my car.  People here are either going too fast or too slow, but nobody is driving the speed limit and nobody is paying attention to the lights.  Gets me all worked up just talking about it 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16529
[/QUOTE]

I hear ya... when people get me mad... and i did nothing wrong... I get road rage too... ( i guess I forgot to mention that part!) I will throw my hands up in the air and yell "WHAT", if i'm going over the speed limit and someone is tail gating me! I do agree that some people go too slow...(under the speed limit) and others that are just jerks and go wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the speed limit (and are dangerous drivers) and NEVER get pulled over!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Nov 15 2004, 05:56 PM
I dont wanna sound like a complainer or anything but since I started driving around 7yrs ago... NJ drivers are just getting worse!  It isnt even a pleasure to drive anymore.  People are so rude on the road.  I hate all the tailgaters out there (sorry If your one of them...haha)... it just drives me CRAZY! 
  I'm NOT a slow driver either!  I was doing 59 in a 50 zone and someone was allllllll over my butt!  It drove me nuts!  I could understand if I was going under the speed limit but I wasnt!  People give me the finger for this same reason!  I cant figure this out... i'm doing over the speed limit and people are being rude to me.  I drive a corvette and people dont realize that I'M going to be the first person pulled over for speeding... so i try to only do about the most 9 mphs over the speed limit.  In NJ we also have traffic circles.. and the person in the circle has the right of way... the people outside of the circle have to yield to the cars in the circle... well.. NO ONE DOES THAT!  They just go... and I cant even tell you how many times someone came soo close to smacking into my car!  People cut me off all the time... and everyone has an attitude!  Like I said.. i'm NOT a bad driver either! 
(i'm not just saying that either.. cause I complain about those bad drivers out there that are just a hazzard on the road!)  I just had to vent.. sorry... I just dont see this problem gettin any better in NJ because more people are moving here.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16497
[/QUOTE]
Only driving for seven years??? I have shoes that I've used as my "driving pair" that are older!!! But as a NJ resident, I have to agree about the temperment of our drivers. I think people in general have gotten nastier to one another and it manifests in rude driving behavior. I get flipped the bird more times than I'd like to admit...just because I feel that laws of the road should be obeyed. Hey it's no wonder that our car insurance is the most expensive in the nation!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Nov 15 2004, 08:40 PM
People are wonderful. I always hate how girls would be looking up and down at another gal, mean muggin them. Anyway, the girls in Hawaii are beautiful and I never felt anyone staring at me. That crap is lame.

But, I don't know anything about NJ. The only thing I heard about NJ is that there's good jobs out there for chemistry majors.
hehe. How is it in NJ anyway? Is it pretty there at all?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 15 2004, 08:38 PM
Mee--That was a quick response.  Didn't you love Hawaii?  I was on Oahu/Honolulu and Kauai.
yes i did love Hawaii !!

i didnt take any pictures while i was there !!!!!! so i dont remember anything!!!

argh !!! that was when there was no digitalcameras back then..so...i have nothing..blah..
my film camera was freaking huge so i didnt take any pictures while i was there..

but i do remember finding a ankle wallet that a surfer dropped while he was surfing i guess while i was swimming..there was like 20 bucks in it (only in one dollar bills!!! argh!! we were so happy to find so many bills but it was only one dollar bills)

so we went to have korean food hahaha im so bad

and i also remember wearing a miniskirt and i tripped while i was walking and that was really embarrassing..i think ppl saw my panties....

i was just in Honolulu with my bf for 4 days ..or was it 3 days..? im not sure..
but yes it was nice!!!

i would love to go back again but i heard that no dogs are allowed in Hawaii
that means i cant take jongee with me, so i guess i'll re-consider..

if they dont let me take jongee with me, then im not going either !!!

has anybody been to the carribbeans???

GOING THERE IS MY DREAM VACATION OR HONEYMOON !!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Nov 15 2004, 05:56 PM
I dont wanna sound like a complainer or anything but since I started driving around 7yrs ago... NJ drivers are just getting worse!  It isnt even a pleasure to drive anymore.  People are so rude on the road.  I hate all the tailgaters out there (sorry If your one of them...haha)... it just drives me CRAZY! 
  I'm NOT a slow driver either!  I was doing 59 in a 50 zone and someone was allllllll over my butt!  It drove me nuts!  I could understand if I was going under the speed limit but I wasnt!  People give me the finger for this same reason!  I cant figure this out... i'm doing over the speed limit and people are being rude to me.  I drive a corvette and people dont realize that I'M going to be the first person pulled over for speeding... so i try to only do about the most 9 mphs over the speed limit.  In NJ we also have traffic circles.. and the person in the circle has the right of way... the people outside of the circle have to yield to the cars in the circle... well.. NO ONE DOES THAT!  They just go... and I cant even tell you how many times someone came soo close to smacking into my car!  People cut me off all the time... and everyone has an attitude!  Like I said.. i'm NOT a bad driver either! 
(i'm not just saying that either.. cause I complain about those bad drivers out there that are just a hazzard on the road!)  I just had to vent.. sorry... I just dont see this problem gettin any better in NJ because more people are moving here.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16497
[/QUOTE]

HA HA Sounds like my town - apparently before a vehicle is allowed into Rockhampton they "disable" the indicators, alter the brakes so that they only kick in 3 metres from where people need to stop, oh and they also remove people's vision of the colour red (ie STOP signs, GIVE WAY signs, RED LIGHTS)

The best one I had. I was stopped at a round about (or I think you called them traffic circles), giving way to oncoming traffic. I'd been stopped for about 10 seconds when all of a sudden I heard a heck of a screech and got slammed up the butt by a car behind me. He pushed me onto the round about!!!
It's not like I braked suddenly - he wasn't behind me when I did stop, so he obviously came screaming around the corner, didn't pay attention until it was too late and couldn't stop.

So I got off the round about and pulled over - he took off in the opposite direction. Didn't even stop to say sorry!!!

Cyclists around here are really bad too. I've seen cars tipped on their sides from cyclists who take right away off of them! :new_Eyecrazy: Why they'd take a risk like that when they are on a pushbike and someone is in a car is beyond my conception......

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Nov 16 2004, 12:37 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kodie
@Nov 15 2004, 08:40 PM
People are wonderful. I always hate how girls would be looking up and down at another gal, mean muggin them. Anyway, the girls in Hawaii are beautiful and I never felt anyone staring at me. That crap is lame.

But, I don't know anything about NJ. The only thing I heard about NJ is that there's good jobs out there for chemistry majors.
hehe. How is it in NJ anyway? Is it pretty there at all?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16557
[/B][/QUOTE]
Aside from our drivers, NJ is a great place to live. We are in between two major cities (Philly and NY) and can get to just about anywhere in the world non-stop from Newark. Of course there are some areas that are nicer than others. I live at the shore, and it's beautiful. There is nothing like waking up to the sound of waves crashing and the calls of the shore birds. Even this time of year can be lovely. The kids and I were on our beach yesterday picking shells. It was almost 70 here, and of course they wanted to go in the water. It's too cold for swimming now, but they did touch their toes in it. We are really fortunate that the beach is literally in our back yard...although my kids still complain that they want a pool! I think that NJ has one of the strongest job markets in the country right now. Of course the down side to that is that we have a very high cost of living, with the average price of a home in Monmouth and Ocean Counties somewhere around $350,000. We've seen our property values go up more than you can imagine. However, our property taxes have gone up too. But still, I wouldn't change my location, we spent 2.5 years remodeling and expanding our house and I have things just the way I want them. But about once a month, we get a knock on the door from someone wanting to buy our house. And it's not even on the market!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 16 2004, 10:22 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16557

Aside from our drivers, NJ is a great place to live.  We are in between two major cities (Philly and NY) and can get to just about anywhere in the world non-stop from Newark.  Of course there are some areas that are nicer than others.  I live at the shore, and it's beautiful.  There is nothing like waking up to the sound of waves crashing and the calls of the shore birds.  Even this time of year can be lovely.  The kids and I were on our beach yesterday picking shells.  It was almost 70 here, and of course they wanted to go in the water.  It's too cold for swimming now, but they did touch their toes in it.  We are really fortunate that the beach is literally in our back yard...although my kids still complain that they want a pool!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16599
[/QUOTE]

All I can say is that you are living my dream!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 16 2004, 09:22 AM
Aside from our drivers, NJ is a great place to live.  We are in between two major cities (Philly and NY) and can get to just about anywhere in the world non-stop from Newark.  Of course there are some areas that are nicer than others.  I live at the shore, and it's beautiful.  There is nothing like waking up to the sound of waves crashing and the calls of the shore birds.  Even this time of year can be lovely.  The kids and I were on our beach yesterday picking shells.  It was almost 70 here, and of course they wanted to go in the water.  It's too cold for swimming now, but they did touch their toes in it.  We are really fortunate that the beach is literally in our back yard...although my kids still complain that they want a pool!  I think that NJ has one of the strongest job markets in the country right now.  Of course the down side to that is that we have a very high cost of living, with the average price of a home in Monmouth and Ocean Counties somewhere around $350,000.  We've seen our property values go up more than you can imagine.  However, our property taxes have gone up too.  But still, I wouldn't change my location, we spent 2.5 years remodeling and expanding our house and I have things just the way I want them.  But about once a month, we get a knock on the door from someone wanting to buy our house.  And it's not even on the market!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16599
[/QUOTE]

LIKE....SHUT UP!!! I am so jealous. hehe I figured that with a good job market that they'd have high living cost. Where we're living right now, our house just jumped like 20,000 more than what we bought it for. And we lived here for under 2 yrs. But, I don't know anyone in NJ. I don't think my bf or I would be anywhere near family if we moved there. That might be a good thing though
. I know nothing about NJ, but when I think of NJ, I imagine to be really industrial looking. And, if driving there is horrible, I am bound to get into a car accident a yr.

I want to move out of TN, but I have a feeling that will never happen. The house is such a good investment and my bf is doing really well at his current job. He was telling me yesterday that 2 depts. are fighting for him to work in their depts.

Mee--You're weird! Of all the things you remember in Hawaii, you remember some dude losing his ankle wallet with 1 dollar bills in it?
When my bf and I were in Hawaii, we stayed w/his sister and her roomies and one of them had a puppy.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 16 2004, 10:52 AM
Mee--You're weird!  Of all the things you remember in Hawaii, you remember some dude losing his ankle wallet with 1 dollar bills in it? 

When my bf and I were in Hawaii, we stayed w/his sister and her roomies and one of them had a puppy.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16608
[/QUOTE]

awww puppy !!!! i was staying at a hotel

·
Registered
365 Posts
Please don't get me started about bad drivers!!! :excl:
I would go off about the idiots, oops, I meant drivers
(not) here in Las Vegas but theres not enough room here to post it!!

Buttercloud~ Yes I have driven in Hawaii before; actually thats where i'm originally from. When I went back recently, it was both a good & bad experience for me. Good was how much more curteous the drivers were (most but not all) but I swear, it felt like the roads shrunk! The lanes were so narrow (even the parking stalls) & it was hard to get use to the 55 MPH max speed limit on the freeway and the even slower speed limit on the roads!
Yes most of the people there are nice (especially living here for several years now) but trust me you will start to see some nasty people there too like everywhere else!

Mee~ I guess you can say you can't or shouldn't bring your dog to Hawaii. They have a strict quarantine law there and any pets coming in to the state has to be in quarantine for a month (I think it was changed to less than a month now, not sure though). I've heard bad stories about the conditions at the quarantine place.
Yum! I miss the Korean food & all the food there. I don't think it can be beat! I can't find any place here (or even Koreatown in LA) that is as good in my opinion!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mee~ By the way, I loved your story! :lol: At least you if you had to embarrass yourself, you'll never run into those people again!

MomTwoMaltMuffins~ I do the same as you w/ the tailgaters
Also, I like when i'm already driving fast enough, i'm not for the other person so when they make the effort to change lanes next to me to get around in front, I like to change lanes as soon as they past me; so its like they made the effort for nothing!

I think driving in LA is better than here! I actually see people who know how to use their blinkers to change lanes more! Plus I experience more people letting you come into the lane when your trying to change over. More especially in the So.Cal, & San Diego area.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts