Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just wondering what kind of vacuums you all have hahaha. I know strange question! But we are in the market for a new one. Ours sucks lately...hahha literally!!! :HistericalSmiley:

We have an old Bissel I think, probably like almost 10 years old. With a bag. We want to get one of those ones now that are bagless. With the filters and canisters you dump out. I am interested in ones with Hepa Filtration. My mom has bad asthma and allergies, I assume these are the best ones to get?

She saw the infommerical about the Shark Navigator whichs seems interesting. However, from what I'm reading about it, it doesn't have Hepa I don't think. Does anyone know? :huh:

And we have been looking at the stores, and I was looking at reviews online. It is so hard because one person will say the best vacuum they ever had, and another person says its horrible!

So I figured I'd ask here if you all know what brand or model numbers you have, of bagless ones...to add to our list of ones to decide from. Thanks!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've heard great things about the Dyson Pet, but it was a little out of our price range. It has a lifetime HEPA filter along with a bunch of other cool features, including automatically adjusting brushes (for different carpet height) and these little whisker things that apparently brush dirt/dust out from under small crevices and directly into the suction area.

Amazon.com: Dyson DC14 Animal Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaner: Kitchen & Dining

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I know everyone that's posted so far is "for" Dyson, but I remember reading in Consumer Reports magazine a couple of years back how horrible they did compared to other vacuums. I specifically remember the Dyson Pet model.

I am very interested on what other vacuums people here like, as I am interested in getting a tiny, more portable bagless vacuum to do my hardwoods on a daily basis.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
We have needed a new vacuum for years now. :brownbag: We've been married eight years and have three vacuums. I would just love to have one that actually works. Now that we have mostly hardwoods throughout the house, we aren't in need of such a heavy duty vacuum, but we still need one nonetheless.

If I had my druthers, not to mention the money, I would buy a Rainbow in a heartbeat. They have been around for ages and are a good company. The vacuum runs on a water filtration system. Rainbow Cleaning System: Authorized Distributor Locator and Product Information

They are pretty expensive though.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I know everyone that's posted so far is "for" Dyson, but I remember reading in Consumer Reports magazine a couple of years back how horrible they did compared to other vacuums. I specifically remember the Dyson Pet model.

I am very interested on what other vacuums people here like, as I am interested in getting a tiny, more portable bagless vacuum to do my hardwoods on a daily basis.
i think the pet model is unnecessary, I think the basic model is more than sufficient and I was glad I didn't waste the extra money for the pet model!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I know Dysons are supposedly to be really nice. My boyfriends mom just got one for Christmas from all of her kids. But they are sooooo expensive. That is way out of our price range. Our price range would be more in the $100 not like $400 hahah. I even thought $250 for the Shark was insane.

I kinda narrowed it down to 2, we are going to look at them at Target probably tomorrow. The hard thing is reading the rewiews online. One person will give a vacuum a 5 star rating saying I LOVE IT!!!! And another person will come along and give the same vacuum a 1 star and say DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY.
So I guess you just gotta go by the one that has the highest percentage of 4 and 5 star ratings I guess?? And features you want and what not.

But once we decide on one, and we get one I will share how it works out haha.
We have all hardwood floors downstairs with area rugs, and all carpet upstairs. So we need one that does both. A lot of them I see have the things you can adjust for carpet heights and stuff. I'm just so tired of the bag business!!! I am excited to get one that I can SEE the dirt its sucking up hahaha.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Yeah I know Dysons are supposedly to be really nice. My boyfriends mom just got one for Christmas from all of her kids. But they are sooooo expensive. That is way out of our price range. Our price range would be more in the $100 not like $400 hahah. I even thought $250 for the Shark was insane.

I kinda narrowed it down to 2, we are going to look at them at Target probably tomorrow. The hard thing is reading the rewiews online. One person will give a vacuum a 5 star rating saying I LOVE IT!!!! And another person will come along and give the same vacuum a 1 star and say DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY.
So I guess you just gotta go by the one that has the highest percentage of 4 and 5 star ratings I guess?? And features you want and what not.

But once we decide on one, and we get one I will share how it works out haha.
We have all hardwood floors downstairs with area rugs, and all carpet upstairs. So we need one that does both. A lot of them I see have the things you can adjust for carpet heights and stuff. I'm just so tired of the bag business!!! I am excited to get one that I can SEE the dirt its sucking up hahaha.
I know what you mean about reading reviews -- sometimes people even review a product as "1-star" because they took to long to ship it or something like that...having nothing to do with the product itself. :blink:

If you have it narrowed between a few models, look them up on Amazon.com because tons of people review products there and you can probably get a better gauge of the quality of the product. Amazon might even be cheaper to buy, and it's usually free shipping for orders over $25 (not on all items, but on almost anything I buy). I'd love to hear which models you're interested in. :)

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
You can get a Dyson from either QVC or HSN with the e-z pay option. We've had the Dyson for about 6 years and it definitely is worth every penny we paid for it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A Bagless Vacuum??
How about a Maltese? :smrofl:
They are great floor cleaners! Lol

AHHAHA true true...they do pick up dust bunnies as well. :HistericalSmiley: :HistericalSmiley: :HistericalSmiley:

The two I am looking at is ones that they have locally at our Target. I want to be able to SEE it and pick it up and stuff before buying. And they are both on sale I think or atleast one is.

A Hoover WindTunnel UH70120
Amazon.com: Hoover UH70120 WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner: Kitchen & Dining

And Bissel 82H1
Amazon.com: Bissell 82H1 Cleanview Helix Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner: Home & Garden

I have read reviews for each EVERYWHERE. Target, Amazon, Best Buy... They are still mixed wherever you read them.
I am trying to determine which would be the best for us. I guess we will decide tomorrow when we look at them.

We have a Bissell now. It's lasted all this time (years and years), I guess that says alot. But I like some of the stuff I'm reading about the Hoover. And the Hoover is more expensive, so I don't know if that necessarily means its better or does more or what. It's hard to tell online. I've read my reviews, tomorrow I will go look at them and see.

I'll let you know how well it "sucks" when I get one hahaha :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Well, based on looks, I like the Hoover. lol :HistericalSmiley: But I know that's the last thing that should be the "deciding factor". :chili:

I did want to make a comment, as I think you said you have hardwood floors in your home (or at least a portion)...make sure either of them (or both) has the feature where you can turn off the bristle bar rotating, as over time that will scuff your hardwoods.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I don't think either do...the only one I saw that did was the Shark. And that one doesn't have the HEPA filter, and its double the price. But they do adjust for different heights. I don't think we will necessarily use it on the hardwood floors...we never have before. I usually just use the hose attachment for around the baseboards, and I use the Swiffer for the floors.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Well, based on looks, I like the Hoover. lol :HistericalSmiley: But I know that's the last thing that should be the "deciding factor". :chili:

I did want to make a comment, as I think you said you have hardwood floors in your home (or at least a portion)...make sure either of them (or both) has the feature where you can turn off the bristle bar rotating, as over time that will scuff your hardwoods.
Lisa brings up a good point. Make sure the vacuum can actually vacuum hardwoods. Ours supposedly can, but all it really does is spit the stuff back at you! It is AWFUL! I don't think I have ever had a vacuum that can do both carpet and hardwoods.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Do Not buy a vacuum that has filters that you have to replace. They cost a fortune! (Especially Hoover filters- my Hoover had 2 and they cost $30 each to replace every few months)

Get a Dyson on the HSN or QVC payment plan They are worth the money !

I have the Purple Dyson Animal and my sister has the Dyson Yellow one- best vacuums we have ever had........no filter or bags to buy....no added expense ....nothing to forget to replace.... I love all the on-board accessories and the suction NEVER stops......... I have 2 persian cats and a sheltie and even suck up maltese fur after I clip Emma........ and it never NEVER stops sucking literally !They do a great job on hardwood and tile floors, mattresses, lamp shades,blinds, paddle fans, too.

Best of luck !

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Lisa brings up a good point. Make sure the vacuum can actually vacuum hardwoods. Ours supposedly can, but all it really does is spit the stuff back at you! It is AWFUL! I don't think I have ever had a vacuum that can do both carpet and hardwoods.
:HistericalSmiley:Actually my vacuum does both, the only thing I have to do is change the brush. The carpet brush would do the tile floor too but I don't like it and since I have more tiles than carpet, I change the brush.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
My vacuum can do both hardwoods & carpet. It has a little lever that you can switch to "carpet" or to "hard surface" or something, and it will turn the brush bar off. It actually picks up everything on the hardwoods amazingly well. It's a Eureka Boss SmartVac and has a sealed HEPA filter(it's about 4yrs old, was in Consumer Reports). My only complaint is that is is very heavy and I want something super lightweight for just doing the hardwoods on a daily basis.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts