Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate it when Bailey isn't feeling well...which is not too often, luckily. But he is sick right now and I could really use some advice. Monday night, he started pacing back and forth and crying to go outside (not normal for him)...I took him out and he had a really loose stool. That day, he had more treats than normal (he had an early dinner and my little cousin was doing training with him later at night and I think gave him more treats than he normally gets) so I thought that was why. Then, Tuesday morning he woke me up crying, and then threw up some yellow-ish bile type liquid a couple of times, and had another loose stool. I worked from home so I could keep an eye on him. I cooked him some boiled chicken and rice and fed it to him in four small meals through out the day (less food than he usually gets though). I mixed in some probiotics with the food and also gave him pepcid AC. He had, I think, four loose stools through the day yesterday. Other than that, he was acting fine...active and playful, pretty normal and didnt throw up again the whole day.

Last night again, he woke me up a few times...he threw up yellowish liquid three times over the night and this morning and had a couple more loose, liquidy stools. This morning he is much quieter, not like his normal self. I again cooked him some boiled chicken and rice and mixed in some yogurt. He didnt really want to eat it which is VERY VERY STRANGE FOR HIM!! He usually gobbles down anything and everything. I syringed some water in his mouth and finally got him to eat. He's sleeping now. I called the vet and made an appointment for 11 o clock. I was hoping it was just an upset stomach yesterday, but today with him acting so down, I better take him in. I am so scared...I have been "googling" like crazy and reading old SM threads all day and night yesterday. I am worried about pancreatitis. I'm also worried about some kind of blockage...he is a chewer and I'm always worried he'll eat something harmful even though I always watch him closely. AH! I am so nervous. Working from home again today so I can take care of him...and keep getting bombarded with work...just a very stressful situation trying to balance both :smpullhair: :smstarz:

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
I hope he is feeling better today. It could be the treats like you said, I'm sorry I have no idea or advice really. I know too much of anything (food, treats) can put them off so hopefully that's it and he'll be back to normal soon.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope he is feeling better today. It could be the treats like you said, I'm sorry I have no idea or advice really. I know too much of anything (food, treats) can put them off so hopefully that's it and he'll be back to normal soon.
Thanks Brenda!

Another update - when I finally got him to break his chicken and rice, he kept it down for all of half an hour, then threw all of it up. i am really starting to freak out now!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i hope he feels better today , i gave dolce some commercial food once canned n he got sick n kept throwing up and having loose stools it just didnt agree w him , hopefully he just has a tummy bug and hellbe back to his normal self , keep us posted.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm sorry Bailey isn't feeling well. I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong. I would save a stool sample to bring in if he poops before you go as I imagine they'll want to check that. Since he has been pooping it probably isn't a total blockage. Mindy, though, had similar symptoms a few months ago and she was also kind of hacking,too. After xrays, stool samples,blood tests,etc (around $600.00 of tests!!) we finally decided she had eaten a large piece of a bully stick which had partially obstructed her colon.(shadow on the xrays) It irritated her colon and also took a long time to break down. She was on probiotics for several weeks, a very limited diet, and it still took 6 to 8 weeks before she was back to normal. I never give bully sticks anymore, but do give flossies which are not nearly as hard! Maybe something he ate has really irritated his stomach,too.

·
Premium Member
24,010 Posts
Nida - I'm so sorry. Our poor Bailey. I know you can't wait to get to the vet. Is there any chance that the little cousin might have slipped Bailey something to eat other than his treats?
The only time that Tyler had diarrhea like that (from time to time he's had one loose stool) was after his neuter, from the anesthesia and/or stress. I remember the vet giving him pill or powder to take for it and she hydrated him subQ. I hope this passes.Let us know and I sending prayers and kisses to you and our boy.:hugging:

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Nida-I'm sorry that Bailey is sick. It sounds to me like he has an upset stomach. When your dog is throwing up because of an upset stomach, feeding him is not a good idea. The stomach needs to rest. I would fast him for 12 hours, keep him hydrated, then feed plain boiled chicken and rice.(1/3 chicken to 2/3 rice mashed up) only if he is NOT throwing up. I would give just a couple tablespoons, initially, then wait and see if he holds it down. (I would wait 2-3 hours) If he seems hungry and feels okay, you can give a little more... Hope he feels better:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Nida, I hope little Bailey boy is feeling better today. Maybe a Vet visit is a good idea even if he is...just to be safe. Poor sweet Bailey...my prayers are with him today.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
:( So sorry to hear that Bailey isn't feeling well. I hope it's just the food and he'll recover soon with boiled chicken and rice diet, let us know what the vet says..Hope the poor fella will feel better soon :grouphug:

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your concern. I am at the vets now. As soon as we got there bailey had a big stool....it was all red and bloody. I am freaking out. But glad I brought him in rather than waiting. They are first doing tests for parasites and for pancreatitis then will do X rays of the abdomen. This is so scary. I never know when its good to wait and see and when I should be rushing to the vet. But im glad I trusted my gut and brought him in especially since he had such a bloody stool as soon as we got here. Sorry to be gross. Please keep him in your prayers.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Oh no! Not Bailey too!!! Aolani's been ick like that before and I didn't give him anythign to eat for 24 hours but I made sure he had plenty of water. The more you give them the more they have to get rid of so its probably better to hold off on any food for a while. You may also want to take him to the vet just in case. Please give him a hug and kiss from us and we hope that he feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thanks everyone for your concern. I am at the vets now. As soon as we got there bailey had a big stool....it was all red and bloody. I am freaking out. But glad I brought him in rather than waiting. They are first doing tests for parasites and for pancreatitis then will do X rays of the abdomen. This is so scary. I never know when its good to wait and see and when I should be rushing to the vet. But im glad I trusted my gut and brought him in especially since he had such a bloody stool as soon as we got here. Sorry to be gross. Please keep him in your prayers.
:new_shocked: that sounds scary....I'm so glad you brought him to the vet in time too, and thanks for the update, I will keep Bailey in my thoughts...I know you must be so worried but hold it together for Bailey :grouphug:

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I also wanted to add that Aolani got bloody stool from eating chicken. I had introduced it to his diet a few months ago and in a couple of days he was very loose stool and woudl cry and cry and he couldn't stop pooping and eventually it turned inot bloody poop. That's when I stopped giving him any food and took him to the vet.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
oh wow poor baby , pls keep us posted ,maybe he was constipated w a big poopy .. i hope its nothing serious .

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh, I am sorry he is not feeling well but so glad you took him to the vet. We will be praying he is ok and has nothing serious. Love and licks from Whisper, Maggie and Trixie.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone! I am back home and had to leave Bailey at the vet. The tests for giardia, parasites and pancreatitis were all negative. The next thing they wanted to do were "radiographs with barium" to see whats going on is his intestines. Does anyone know much about this? I dont know why they didnt do just simple x-rays. Maybe I'm jumping the gun here...he's only had these symptoms since Monday late night...so just a day and a half. Should I have waited, fasted him for 24 hours before making him go through all these tests?? The vet said if theres even a small chance he could have eaten something bad, we should do the radiographs to make sure nothing is obstructed. What do you guys think? I tend to freak out and got scared that if I waited, Bailey would get worse.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Oh my I hope your Bailey comes home soon and that all tests are okay. It's a good thing they are running those tests especially with the vommitting and bloody bowel movement that he has had. Please Please let us know how he is doing. You must feel so nervous and anxious......I am keeping your sweety in my prayers today.
Jenna

1 - 20 of 369 Posts