Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 367 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
OK, so glad you got him to the vet. Did they do the canine lipase for pancreatitis? Most vets can to the quickie screening test in the office to rule out pancratitis. It could be just garden variety gastroenteritis too. Hoping for the best.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Thanks everyone! I am back home and had to leave Bailey at the vet. The tests for giardia, parasites and pancreatitis were all negative. The next thing they wanted to do were "radiographs with barium" to see whats going on is his intestines. Does anyone know much about this? I dont know why they didnt do just simple x-rays. Maybe I'm jumping the gun here...he's only had these symptoms since Monday late night...so just a day and a half. Should I have waited, fasted him for 24 hours before making him go through all these tests?? The vet said if theres even a small chance he could have eaten something bad, we should do the radiographs to make sure nothing is obstructed. What do you guys think? I tend to freak out and got scared that if I waited, Bailey would get worse.
This happened to us with our schnauzer...we rushed her there and it cost us 500.00 to find out she must have eaten something. Then she was fine. I would suggest letting him eat light for the next couple of days and see how he is before doing more tests. A few days won't matter either way. Give him kisses from me and Rocky boy. :wub:

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I'm so glad you followed your instincts and got sweet Bailey to the vet when you did. Bloody stool is scary. It could be something really simple like stress induced colitis but you just want to be sure when there is blood in the stool.

Normally you do want to let the tummy rest for 24 hours by withholding food, but by giving food I don't think that would have caused blood in the stool. Don't beat yourself up on that one. I find it interesting that when his tummy is empty, that is when he seems to be having pain and throwing up.

Prayers for both you and Bailey and please let us know when you hear something.

·
Premium Member
23,996 Posts
Oh Nida - I'm so sorry to read that he had bloody stool but at least it was at the vet's. I don't know about the other tests but given the symptoms I'm sure they want to check for anything that Bailey might have eaten that could be an obstruction or problem. BTW, do you have pet insurance? I remember you inquiring about it. Hope so.
Maybe someone else can let you know more about the radiographs. I'm sending prayers to both of you. I know how scared you must be but Bailey's in good hands and you got him to the vet. Please let us know what you find out. :prayer::prayer:

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
OH no. I'm so sorry to read about Bailey. This is so scary. Sending prayers Nida. Please please please keep us updated!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The vet just called with an update. They had done 2 of the 4 barium radiographs so far and already they can pretty much tell there is something in his stomach. He even threw up the barium which the vet said is very rare. She will be more sure around 6 pm when she does the last radiograph. She said she's pretty sure there is something stuck in his stomach. I feel just awful.

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Oh, Nida ... I am so sorry. I am just reading this. I feel so bad for you and Bailey.
I will check in to see what the vet says. (I'm not sure if you saw Dr. Krisi or not ... I know you were thinking of making an appointment with her a little while back) It sounds as though the doctor is on top of things ... and, hopefully, it is not anything complicated. I am saying prayers that it's nothing serious going on in his little tummy.

Sending hugs and love to you and Bailey.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Oh no! I'm sorry Bailey is sick. I'm glad the vet has an idea of what is going on. Sounds like she will take good care of Bailey. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
The vet just called with an update. They had done 2 of the 4 barium radiographs so far and already they can pretty much tell there is something in his stomach. He even threw up the barium which the vet said is very rare. She will be more sure around 6 pm when she does the last radiograph. She said she's pretty sure there is something stuck in his stomach. I feel just awful.
Ok...I know I would be feeling the same way as you right now. So let's focus on the positive. Your quick response has given Bailey and the vet so much more time to find the blockage and remove it. So often the poor baby is so lifeless by the time a blockage of some kind is finally found, it makes it so much harder on them. Bailey is young, healthy, and strong since this has just happened. So I know Bailey is going to be fine. It sounds like you have a great vet who is on top of things and knows when to be conservative and when to go ahead with the big tests. That in itself is fantastic! Try not to panic. We are all here for you and sweet Bailey and praying. :grouphug:

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks everyone. I am petrified and can't even function properly, I am freaking out that much. Bailey is MY LOVE, I can't imagine anything happening to him...the thought of losing him is unbearable.

From what I understand, a blockage in the stomach is very serious, right? My vet said she will confirm the results of the tests with me at 6, after the last x-ray. If there is in fact a blockage, will surgery tomorrow morning be too late? Do I need to go to an ER?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
honey i have no answers but im praying w all my might that whatever is disturbing bailey is not serious. i can only imagine what u r going thru just know we r all here praying for sweet bailey. pls let us know what the vet says. and thank goodness u decided to take him in , u acted fast n thats a good thing .

21 - 40 of 367 Posts