Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

41 - 60 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Thanks everyone. I am petrified and can't even function properly, I am freaking out that much. Bailey is MY LOVE, I can't imagine anything happening to him...the thought of losing him is unbearable.

From what I understand, a blockage in the stomach is very serious, right? My vet said she will confirm the results of the tests with me at 6, after the last x-ray. If there is in fact a blockage, will surgery tomorrow morning be too late? Do I need to go to an ER?
I don't think your vet would allow Bailey to go overnight if she didn't think it ok. I think blockages can be serious when they aren't caught right away and the dog is already in a weakened condition. But if it is something that he ate and it has caused an intestinal blockage...from what I've read anyway...sometimes they will continue to watch to see if the whatever the object is will move on it's own. If not, then they will most likely need to schedule surgery. So I don't think immediate surgery is always indicated.

Try to stay calm. I know I wouldn't be able to, but try. But I really think it sounds like you have an EXCELLENT vet.

·
Premium Member
24,000 Posts
Thanks everyone. I am petrified and can't even function properly, I am freaking out that much. Bailey is MY LOVE, I can't imagine anything happening to him...the thought of losing him is unbearable.

From what I understand, a blockage in the stomach is very serious, right? My vet said she will confirm the results of the tests with me at 6, after the last x-ray. If there is in fact a blockage, will surgery tomorrow morning be too late? Do I need to go to an ER?

Nida I know how sacred you are, Bailey is going to be ok, Matilda is ill also we need to stay calm for them, both of us need to get rest and take care ourselves, hugs from one worried mom to another, God's has his hand on little Bailey

·
Premium Member
23,996 Posts
Nida - just got back to read your last posts. The good things are that you recognized Bailey needed help and got him to the vet, the vet seems to be very up on things in that she ordered the tests she did and now you seem to have a cause and I know that she will guide you in the next step. He's at a vet -- there's no way that she will ignore or take a chance with him if there is surgery indicated. I don't think an ER vet would have been a better choice. She seems thorough and concerned and I'm sure will make things happen. In just getting back to you after 6pm means to me that she is dedicated to her patients. I know how much you love Bailey and how scary this is but you have all of us there with you, praying for Bailey and ready to try to help. :grouphug:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Oh no... :( So relieved you took Bailey in the vets because you probaby saved his life if he has a stomach obstruction...getting them in early before infections set in is critical! I would trust your vet- they will do surgery right away if they feel it is life threatening - he's in the best place he could possibly be right now. I will be keeping you both in my most positive thoughts and prayers....

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Thanks so much for checking in. I just got back home from spending the last four hours at the vets. She showed me Bailey's series of barium tests (they inject a dye and then see how it travels down his stomach and intestines over a few hours). The tests show that the barium didnt move down his system as fast as it should...it collected in his stomach which shows there is something in there. Not a full obstruction but possibly a partial one. She scheduled him for exploratory surgery tomorrow morning. She recommended I drop him off at the 24/7 emergency vets tonight so they can keep an eye on him...so that is where he is now. The ER vet (who is supposedly very good) examined him and checked all his x-rays....she doesnt think he needs surgery right away. She said it doesnt look like a full obstruction, and the good thing is that his intestines are clear. She is going to keep him on fluids and meds tonight and she thinks we should do more x-rays in the morning....if the barium has made it all the way through then we should hold off on surgery. So I am going to talk to the regular vet about that. It would be nice if we didnt HAVE to do surgery and could just watch him for a few days to see if it is able to clear up on its own. Especially since there were no obvious foreign bodies visible in the x-ray....now I'm thinking MAYBE the urgent surgery isnt necessary? Ive been racking my brain to figure out WHAT it could be....over the weekend, I got him some new chews that have a different texture than his normal chews (these: Baa Free Range Lamb Weasand Twists 5-Count) so maybe these are whats sitting in his stomach??

It was horrible leaving him at the ER vet overnight. I am just sick with worry. I can't believe this happened...it seems like something so silly and avoidable. I feel like an awful mom!!!

·
Premium Member
23,996 Posts
Nida - I'm so relieved that Bailey's in such good hands. No one wants to hear that their fluff might need surgery but at least they are totally on top of this and it sounds like everyone, regular vet and ER are very caring and thorough. I think that you have to go with the professionals and not second guess anyone. See what happens if they run the tests again. Is there any reason that could preclude surgery?
Nida - please don't call yourself a bad mom. You did nothing wrong. You have been so amazing through all of this. it's scary and no one wants their kids to be sick but you have done all the right things. And with urgency. I wish I lived down near where you are so I could be with you. Can you take off of work tomorrow? I hope so. I know none of us will get much sleep until we hear something tomorrow morning but please know we love you and our favorite honorary Maltese more than anyone could ever imagine. He'll be fine with all the prayers coming from here and the vets you have on his case. Please take care of yourself. :smootch:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
nida u are an excellent mom, dont u ever doubt that.. u are doing everything u can for him , sometimes just like kids fluffs put things in their mouth that they shouldnt. its in no way ur fault , lets pray n hope that when they do the new xrays tomm that everything goes by fast , maybe whatever is blocking will move or pass . lets have faith , at least u know hes at the vets n they r keeping an eye on him . im going to bed now but i will def be praying n i will chk in early in the morning.. its easier said than done but try to rest tonite.. hugs

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Nida, just checking in here, I'm glad that Bailey doesn't need an immediate surgery, and I hope that he will feel a lot better by tomorrow morning. You're an excellent mom just like Sue and Liza said and don't think too much...take good care and get some rest dear...

·
Premium Member
24,000 Posts
Nida, he's in the best hands right now I will specific pray for the blockage to be gone tomorrow. I believe in miracle, I know how you are feeling we feel so helpless. Hugs to you

41 - 60 of 367 Posts