Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Bailie is a puppy mill dog.

She's 5 1/2 years old, and she's missing a chunk of bone in her right
hind leg. The blood stopped flowing to the bone near her hip joint when
she was 3. The doctors had to immediately removed the dead section of
bone. Now, cartilage holds her leg inside her hip joint. The operation
made her right leg slightly shorter than the left.

Six months later, she had knee surgery because she has floating knee
caps. A piece of string is holding her left knee in place. It's a common
problem in puppy mill dogs, and she'll likely have to have another
operation in the next year, the doctors say.

She also suffers from a collapsing windpipe. Her eyes tear up because
she can't breath. She starts to snort and gasps for air until the
problem corrects itself, and she's able to breath again.

I bought Bailie for $700 from a "pet store" called Puppy Palace in
Hollywood, Florida. I was 20. She was 8 weeks old, 1 pound 9 ounces.
There was sign on the wall saying with a big "X" through the word puppy
mill. The puppies were grouped by breed. There were hundreds of them.
They were scattered throughout the store in little pens. Looking back, I
don't know how I could have thought the place was legit.

At the time I was buying Bailie, one of the employees told me the pet
store had given her a 4-month-old maltese because it was so sick they
couldn't legally sell it. She brought the dog to work everyday. The
puppy couldn't be left alone - ever. It had a condition that caused it
to have seizures, the woman said.

Bailie came with "papers" that show she was born in Missouri - a state
notorious for its puppy mills. The doctors say all of Bailie's problems
are a result of poor breeding.

In all, I've spent about $1,500 on Bailie's medical bills.

For now, Bailie can run. Steps are kind of hard on her knees, though.
She loves to chase her cat friend Sadie around the house. In fact,
looking at her, you'd never know anything was wrong. She's cute and
affectionate. She gives kisses and hugs when you ask for them. She
cuddles.

Occasionally, her right knee cap moves pop out of place and she hops on
the leg until repositions itself. She can't jump on anything because
her knees. If I take her for walks or to the dog park, its to get fresh
air - not exercise. I carry her the entire time because of her knees.

The doctors say she's already starting to have problems with arthritis
because of the surgery. It's only going to get worse.

--
Jennifer Sorentrue
The Palm Beach Post

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
LadyMom

I worry every single day that something like this will happen to my precious Teddy - I think I worry more about him than I did my daughter. He too is from a puppy mill in Missouri, which I did not find out until too late....I have learned that there are evil people in the world and the next time...if I have do have another chance to fall in love with one of these little ones it will be from someone I have spent many many hours grilling about how much they love them.

Too sad.

Susan

·
Registered
313 Posts
i too have started to worry that one day my little l.e. is going to get sick or something similar will happen too her. l.e. also came from missourri and while i'm pretty sure she didn't come from a puppymill, i'm almost possive her breeder was a byb. i truely regret getting her from there and yet feel so lucky to have gotten a great dog so far. when i'm ready to get a second furbaby, i too will spend a lot of time researching and asking a ton of questions. i wish i had found this forum before i got her so i wouldn't have made the mistake i did in supporting byb

·
Registered
313 Posts
i didn't see l.e.'s breeder listed as a usda breeder. would this most likely mean that she was just a byb? or are they pretty mich the same thing?

the breeder that she came from advertises that she breeds maltese, yorkies, pekingnese, "morkies", and "maltipekes." because she breeds more than just one type of dog, she probably is a byb right? at least that's what i've come to relize is a charactistic of a byb...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Originally posted by elliesmomie@Aug 2 2005, 01:05 PM
i didn't see l.e.'s breeder listed as a usda breeder.  would this most likely mean that she was just a byb?  or are they pretty mich the same thing?

the breeder that she came from advertises that she breeds maltese, yorkies, pekingnese, "morkies", and "maltipekes."  because she breeds more than just one type of dog, she probably is a byb right?  at least that's what i've come to relize is a charactistic of a byb...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86673
[/QUOTE]

Elliesmomie,

I too wrongly thought that not having a USDA number meant I was safe...I had stayed clear of anyone who had one and when I found a place that did not have that number...I thought great a reputable place...how wrong I was. If the place you buy your little one from does not sell to another person who sells then they are not required to have a USDA number...so they could sell a thousand little ones to people like you and me and if they don't sell to another pet store they don't need the number. If I had known that the place I got Teddy had a hand in thousands of puppies being treated in such a horrible way than I don't know what I would have done, but it would have been my choice. They don't want us to know because we would more than likely put a stop to it more effectively.

Lady's Mom
had helped me with this before and I did go to the site and put in all the numbers I was given on Teddy and all the information they asked. I was heart broken for my little one when I found out that he was brought into this world that way. I think of his poor mom every day and hope she is well. If you have any doubt...go to the site....it is better to know so that you can be on the look out for problems...

As of now, my Teddy is perfect in every way...that is his mom speaking...he actually has allergies to food, but perfect in every other way. wonderful full white white coat, 6.5lbs, a snuggle bug, and so adorable...
But, knowing where he came from lets me keep a closer watch of things before they may get out of hand. By the way...I truly believe that God had a wonderful hand in bringing Teddy into my life so no matter where he came from I am glad I got the gift.

Susan

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If she sells directly to her customers from an internet website, she is doesn't have to be licensed by the USDA (the proposed PAWS legislation would change that).

Usually what we refer to as backyard breeders are nice people who get a dog from a pet shop or a newspaper ad, think it's the greatest dog in the world and think it would be fun to have puppies, make some money back, etc. They usually find a dog down the street to breed to, do no genetic testing, and know nothing about the breed standard. Most of these puppies are sold through newspaper ads.

Many of the internet websites are really puppy mills, just not licensed because they sell directly to the consumer instaed of to pet shops. Sonshine Acres in Nebraska has a fabulous website stating that their puppies are hand raised underfoot, when in reality they are raised in cages in barns. They are one of the largest puppy mills in the midwest even though they don't have to be licensed with the USDA. One of our members was duped by their website and got her puppy from them. Bella was diagnosed with a liver shunt at 6 months old.

There are a lot of unscrupulous breeders out there, unfortunately.

·
Registered
313 Posts
unfortunately i made the mistake of not doing very much homework before i got her, but i know differently know for the future. i got l.e. from a very popular website that advertises all different kinds of breeds and puppies. i'm not sure if i can say the name of that particular website, but i think you might know which one i'm talking about.
after getting l.e. home and finding that she had an ambilical hernia and allergies, i started doing my research and putting everything together. with the info that ladysmom just gave, l.e.'s breeder probably is some sort of puppymill.

all i can do now is hope that l.e. will stay healthy and happy. believe me the next puppy i get will be from someone that is on the akc breeders list and that is reputable. i will definately do more research knowing what i know now!
thank you so much for your input landsmom and teddyandme. i hope other new people will see how sly those puppymills can be in disguising their real business!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you feel comfortable doing it, you can post the website here. Joe doesn't have the rules some of the other websites do!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Elliesmom,

Please do give the name of the site...it may help someone else stay away from them....if we can pass the word on those who pray on our little ones all the better. My Teddy came from Puppy Boutique in Brooklyn.

Susan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts