Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The annual Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta started yesterday and will be in full swing until next Sunday. Traffic is always a mess during the Balloon Fiesta week, but it's worth it to see all the beautiful balloons in the air.

Here are a couple of my pictures of yesterday. And yes, some were taken from up in a Balloon. :)

The river that you see is the Rio Grande - which runs through the middle of Albuquerque.

Getting ready for the Mass Assention.

Getting our balloon ready for the ride (the one in front).

Just after we took off.

Flying over the Rio Grande.

I'm still editing so I may post one or two more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Lynn -- that is so AWESOME!!! You actually got to go up in one of the balloons?? Is it your company's balloon or friend's?
I'll never forget driving from LA to NY in the 70's with my mom and we were in New Mexico and suddenly I saw balloons in the sky. Had no idea the festival was then. I just drove towards them and we made a day of it. It's so amazing in person. I've also gone to balloon events at a small NJ airport (Solberg, I think) and Cambridge, NY upstate. Love it.:chili::chili:

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Oh, how would you like to go up in the air, up in the air so blue,
Oh, I do think it is the most wonderful thing ever a child could do!

Robert Louis Stevenson, "The Swing"

It made me think of you Lynn!!! It must be a wonderful feeling.....all the balloons are so pretty!!!! Thanks for sharing~~~

PS Not sure the words are right on the poem, it was something I remembered from my childhood...LOL!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our sister company, Spotlight, sponsors the first day at the Balloon Fiesta, so I always try to go with some of my co-workers. This is the 2nd time I've actually gone up in the balloon. The really bad part is that you need to be there by 5:00 a.m. to do the breakfast and see the Balloons get ready. And you're up in the air usually around 7:00 - 7:30 a.m.

The ride is amazing -- but the landing -- OMG, the landing is never "soft" and you always end up with a lot of bumps and bruises. But it's worth it.

In the evening there is something called a "glow out" where all of the ballons gather at Balloon Fiesta Park and they all do their burn. It's really beautiful but very hard to capture in pictures.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Amazing that you actually go up w/them---I am a novice here so please educate me "what is a burn?"
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Awesome pics. We have something similar here in Boise, but not nearly that large. Wow, that's a lot of balloons! I've been up in one once too. It was pretty cool. We also have a night time balloon show called "Light Up Boise" It's always so cool to watch.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
wonderful pictures Lynn,:aktion033: when we were full time RVers we always said we were going to make it to the Balloon Festival, but never did:huh: dh has always wanted a balloon ride, no not me, I'm afraid of heights:blush:

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have always wanted to go there. Maybe when I retire, we will take our camper out for a few weeks. It is so beautiful...Thanks for sharing. Was the ride breath taking?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Wow that looks SO COOL!! Reminds me of the movie "UP"! Thank you for sharing :D

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Geez, and I thought it was cool to be up in a balloon with one other balloon along side of us.......duh......I can't even imagine hundred's of them!!! awlsome!!!!!!! What a great day!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts