Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,949 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Jul 6 2005, 04:40 PM
Don't fleas drown in water?  I have always noticed that they do.  So just washing your loose rugs, dog bedding, etc. will take care of those.....I just don't like to use any more pesticides than necessary.

For the rest of the summer, continue to vacuum frequently, change dog bedding frequently (wash) and spray beneficial nematodes in your yard.  These are non-toxic ways to keep the flea population down.  A "spritz" before going outside with a mixture of 1 cup water, 4 drops Tea Trea Oil and 4 drops lavender oil is supposed to repel fleas.  I don't think it is heavy duty stuff but for those potty trips outside it might keep any hitchhikers off.  Maltese are flea magnets because they are so white and fleas are attracted to light.

The itching after the fleas are gone can be from the allergic reaction to the flea saliva when they bite.  Try a soothing rinse like Aveeno.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78701
[/QUOTE]

I love this idea... i have everything but the Tea tree oil. I wil try and get some today.
thanks you

· Registered
7,310 Posts
Originally posted by Bambi+Jul 6 2005, 03:44 PM-->
Frontline plus is like the regular frontline however it has a growth inhibiting ingredient in it and unfortunately, They do not have frontline plus for dogs less than 10 lbs - Bambi is 2.85 lbs.
I just called another vet and they said that the advantage at Petco is the same thing...as long as the brand is Advantage, it is the same thing.  I just hope that the flea problem doesnt get worse.  I am going to take her to the groomers soon to get her shaved until I am 100% sure the flea infestation is done.

<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Jul 6 2005, 12:49 PM
What you buy at petstores is not the same Frontline that you get at a vet's office.  Petstore's sell Frontline and vet's offices sell Frontline Plus.  Not sure how they are different but they are.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78691
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78702
[/B][/QUOTE]
I was told I could use Frontline Plus on Lexi last summer when she was only 3-4lbs. With the spray bottle Frontline you can customize the dosage. Nikki is only 2lbs 3oz. so she only gets 4 pumps max. Lexi is 8.5lbs so she gets 16 max.

· Registered
225 Posts
Originally posted by Bambi+Jul 6 2005, 01:44 PM-->
Frontline plus is like the regular frontline however it has a growth inhibiting ingredient in it and unfortunately, They do not have frontline plus for dogs less than 10 lbs - Bambi is 2.85 lbs.
I just called another vet and they said that the advantage at Petco is the same thing...as long as the brand is Advantage, it is the same thing.  I just hope that the flea problem doesnt get worse.  I am going to take her to the groomers soon to get her shaved until I am 100% sure the flea infestation is done.

<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Jul 6 2005, 12:49 PM
What you buy at petstores is not the same Frontline that you get at a vet's office.  Petstore's sell Frontline and vet's offices sell Frontline Plus.  Not sure how they are different but they are.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78691
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78702
[/B][/QUOTE]

how old is bambi? you probably should not take her to the groomers until she has all her shots. just a precaution. plus her hair should be pretty short so you can easily spot them when she is wet.

· Premium Member
8,507 Posts
The one time Alex was full of fleas (we think he got them at the groomer) we gave him Sentinel (instead of Interceptor) and used Advantage. You have also to treat the your yard. As long as there are eggs you will find fleas. They will not go away overnight. It takes a few days for Sentinel to start working. A flea biting a dog taking Sentinel will die. So until Sentinel starts working you use Advantage. It should last for 4 weeks. But it will kill only the fleas not the eggs. So until all the eggs are gone, you will find fleas.

the advantage at Petco is the same thing...[/B]
YOU CAN GET ADVANTAGE ONLY THROUGH A LICENSED PRACTICING VETERINERIAN or with a prescription from your vet at any online pet pharmacy. If you bought Advantage over the counter at Petco it might not be the same thing.

· Registered
7,623 Posts
the dermatologists here like advantage and frontline spray...when there is a heavy flea burden they like to add an insect growth regulator to prevent the fleas from breeding so they are put on sentinel... they like advantage best b/c it is packaged that it can be used safely every week, the other products are not labeled to be used more often than monthly. for animals with flea allergies they recommend advantage every three weeks. yes it does wash off like everyone mentioned soap free is what needs to be used like ladysmom said. it starts killing fleas in minutes. best to apply 2 days after a bath. also to determine if u have a heavy burden inside, buy a flea comb...brush her before she goes outside looking for fleas and flea dirt. then take her out and when she comes in brush her again. if she is only bringing them in from outside and they arent in the house, this is good and u need to treat the yard, or limit her time outside.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.