Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, In another thread someone mentioned Bare Escentuals, and I went to check it out. I, like many others, have seen the infomercial, but I had never heard of anyone actually using it! BUT, I have NO IDEA what color to get! Its really hard! Am I tan, or medium? Or medium beige.

I feel like I may want to start using foundation, just something light for a more finished look. I don't have blemishes and I don't have uneven tone, but I want to just look more complete.

Please help me find a color! I am posting some pictures. I am the color of Mya, the R&B singer, JLo (maybe a little lighter), and Mariah carey. Which should I pick?

Thanks, I hope someone can help

·
Registered
499 Posts
I use Jane Iredale, a product much like BE, but one I found I like much better. They also have a color line called Global Colors, with a much better range of colors for women of color. I am a slavic descent red-head, but have a very yellow undertone, I wear a shade that many asian women wear. It is the only foundation I have ever found to look truly real on me. THe BE doesn't even come close. Go to a salon or MD's office that carries JI and they will do a color matching on you. I was shocked when I found out what my true color was, for years the beauty products people were mixing pinks for me (they see red hair and think Irish) and it never really looked good. I buy my JI from
http://www.dermstore.com/profile_Jane+Iredale_100098.htm
You can also find it on e-bay once you know what colors to buy. They are the best foundations I ever tried.
Quincymom

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I am a BE user and have been for many years....my best advice to you is if you live anywhere near a boutique, go. If you don't, don't worry, you can find products at Ulta or Sephora. Also they are supposed to be coming to Nordstroms some time this year as well. There is a wonderful forum on Dephi called BEAddicts. The ladies there have great advice on products and usages. If you are just starting out, you would do best to order the infomercial kit with two foundation colors...maybe the medium/tan. I've tried the Jane Iredale products, but I don't like them as much as BE. But that's a personal thing, what works for one, might not for someone else. Definitely get the video with the kit. The key to any mineral makeup is that less is more. It is different than anything you've ever used before. The minerals blend with your skin and buff to a beautiful finish. Think of it as only the pigment in liquid foundations. A jar of foundation lasts me about 8 to 10 months. But I warn you that these products are very addicitive. The eye and cheek colors are best gotten from kits from QVC. That's where you'll get the best price, even with shipping charges. For instance, their 3 piece kits (2 eye colors and cheek color) are $30. If you're interested in the informercial kits, I'd opt for the one without the "other than makeup" products.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I LOVE trying new products--guess I'm going to have to start watching QVC for the makeup!-I have really dry skin, which most foundation flakes off-how do you think BE will do for the dryest skin?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have very dry skin and it doesn't bother me at all. One of the keys to properly using any mineral foundation (which is buffed into the skin) is to let your moisturizer completely absorb before you apply. I moisturize my face using my Clinique products. I like to go a bit heavy this time of year around my eyes and lips. I usually do this before I dry my hair. That 15-20 minutes allows enough time for my moisturizer to work. I also use Clinique pore minimizer as my primer. I love that stuff. I would definitely recommend using a kabuki brush (it kind of looks like a mushroom) for application. Remember, less is more and buff for a complete two minutes, at first at least. I recommend that a new user close their eyes and sit down while they buff. You can always add more, but it's better to start with a very small amount. Take the jar, turn it upside down and tap the lid with the brush handle. Untwist the lid and there should be a fine coating of minerals. If there are any clumps, put the lid back on top the jar and tap again. That's how much you use. It's really shake, tap, unscrew, swirl, tap, and buff.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Thank you for the tips! I will definitely try waiting after I apply my moisturizer--maybe thats my mistake-I usually apply my foundation right after moisturizing!
I can't wait to try BE-I looked up the website and it sounds awesome!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I learned that tip about waiting to apply foundation a long time ago, and it really applies to all kinds of foundations.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have INCREDIBLY dry skin! Thats why I wanted to try this stuff. My skin is sooooooooo dry that if I went without moisturizing one day I would have flakes covering my forehead, nose and chin. It helps me not to get zits, but I can NEVER forget to bring moisturizer if I go somewhere!

I am going to try and see if they have a boutique. I think There is an Ulta around here, they have a station where they will help you try on stuff right?

Thanks again guys, I knew you all would help!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Ulta does carry it, and Sephora too. Ulta does allow you to return products, so if you change your mind on the color, you can exchange. Also, they were selling some of the Goddess kits (sold on QVC). This kit has some brushes, eye and cheek colors that are very nice. I think it was around $60 for two eyeshadows, eye liner shadow, a small blush, an all over face sparkle, lip gloss, lip bud (like a balm), and three brushes. The next BE show on QVC is on March 23.

As far as application goes, check with me if you have any problems.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Hi I don't use the product that you've mentioned but I did read up on some of the ingrediance.
you may want to test it out for a day first . Because it said it uses lavender,
lavander-based aromatherapy.

I make herbal oils and milk baths myself. Some people are alergic to Lavender. it can cause heat bums, rash or even give some headakes. Mind you it also cures headakes, eases pain , cramp and so much more , so test the makeup out on your rist for a day first before you purchase it.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I use Bare Minerals foundation. I use a slightly darker shade in the summer and a lighter one in winter. Like Saltymalty, I highly suggest using the kabuki brush for applying foundation. When I got my starter set it didn't come with the kabuki and I was only mildly satisfied. Once I got the correct brush my satisfaction went up considerably. Also, make sure that you finish with mineral veil. I love this product! I moisturize right out of the bath and do my hair and then use my minerals. I love the Clinique pore minimizer. It is great stuff and it helps the minerals glide on. I have been finishing the whole product with a spritz of a new Clinique product - Moisture on Call spray. It sort of sets everything and I love it. I'm not a huge fan of the BE eye makeup. It is really hard on my contacts. I use BE for foundation, blush and mineral veil, but use Clinique eye products. The BE addicts website is really great and has good info.
http://login.prospero.com/dir-login/index....art%3FlgnJR%3D1

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you should go to the clinique counter at the mall...or even try all those makeup counters----find out what color you are in THEIR foundation, then call BE and tell them what you are.

for example: i called glamourdog saying that sprite was a Small in Petsmart---but for glamourdog...sprite was an XSmall.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@Feb 19 2005, 11:41 PM
Hi I don't use the product that you've mentioned but I did read up on some of the ingrediance.
you may want to test it out for a day first . Because it said it uses lavender,
lavander-based aromatherapy.

I make herbal oils and milk baths myself.  Some people are alergic to Lavender. it can cause heat bums, rash or even give some headakes.  Mind you it also cures headakes, eases pain , cramp and so much more  , so test the makeup out on your rist for a day first before you purchase it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36474
[/QUOTE]
The lavendar is only in their bath and body products in their lavendar line. The makeups are all fragrance free and do not contain any essential oils of any kind.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Feb 19 2005, 11:57 PM
I use Bare Minerals foundation.  I use a slightly darker shade in the summer and a lighter one in winter.  Like Saltymalty, I highly suggest using the kabuki brush for applying foundation.  When I got my starter set it didn't come with the kabuki and I was only mildly satisfied.  Once I got the correct brush my satisfaction went up considerably.  Also, make sure that you finish with mineral veil.  I love this product!  I moisturize right out of the bath and do my hair and then use my minerals.  I love the Clinique pore minimizer.  It is great stuff and it helps the minerals glide on.  I have been finishing the whole product with a spritz of a new Clinique product - Moisture on Call spray.  It sort of sets everything and I love it.  I'm not a huge fan of the BE eye makeup.  It is really hard on my contacts.  I use BE for foundation, blush and mineral veil, but use Clinique eye products.  The BE addicts website is really great and has good info.
http://login.prospero.com/dir-login/index....art%3FlgnJR%3D1
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36475
[/QUOTE]
I saw the moisture on call at the Clinique counter the other day. I'll have to give it a spritz!!! Which eye makeups did you try? I wear contacts too and I haven't had any problems. I never thought I would wear the glimmers, but I find I reach for them most often. I also love the matte shadows too, like the soft focus colors.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I tried the eye colors that came in the kit at Christmas last year. I forget the name of the kit, but it was the memories box and had a good eye shadow brush and some of the colors that are ground very fine like Mineral Veil. Anyway, I have always worn hard contacts and the loose minerals just irritated my eyes. I tried to be so careful but ended up with red eyes from the irritation. When I switched back to the pressed shadow I was OK. I still use the brush, though, and really love it.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
oops. Double post - Sorry! :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Hey, if you don't need a foundation, maybe just use the mineral veil only. That provides a nice finishing touch. Are you wearing any make-up in your pictures? You look like a hot mama! LOL

SaltyMalty--It would be nice if we knew how good the bare escentual look on you! *hint**hint*

Is it just a coincidence that the advertisement on SM has mineral makeup ads on there?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I haven't noticed the mineral makeup ads, but now I'll have to take a look. I haven't posted a photo of myself, but I do use Mineral Veil on my puppy's tear stains!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Feb 20 2005, 10:22 AM
I haven't noticed the mineral makeup ads, but now I'll have to take a look.  I haven't posted a photo of myself, but I do use Mineral Veil on my puppy's tear stains!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36528
[/QUOTE]

I just strated using Exuviance and I love it. Great coverup and not cakey at all.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts