Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Hello, my name is Beastie and I am a barkaholic."

Just need to preface this by saying Beastie is healthy and happy. I, on the other hand, am not! Beastie has fallen in love with the sound of his own voice, and has an opinion about EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. He barks constantly. He barks at everything he sees and hears. He barks at everything he THINKS he sees and hears. We can't go anywhere without him commenting on everyone who passes by, or cars, or trucks, or lawnmowers, or birds, or dogs, or airplanes, etc., etc., etc....... He had actually barked at breezes. Why? Why? WHY?? What's a mother to do? Needless to say, he's an excellent watchdog.

Any advice? Any opinions? Any spare earmuffs?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is Lucy a constant barker, too?? I'm talking at home, outside, everywhere. I've had to stop bringing him to work.

I think you and I are the ones that need the support group. Beastie seems pretty pleased with himself!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
He barks because it
1. Gets him attention
2. Is an inherently rewarding behavior
3. He wants to acknowledge changes (people coming and going)

One simple thing I do is when my dogs bark at something outside, I go to the window, look, and thank them for telling me. Often acknowledging their alert is all it takes.

As for attention, I ignore barkers or ask for a different behavior and reward that.

Barking as an inherently rewarding behavior is harder to deal with, but can be dealt with. A highly motivating reward (really special food or toy) can be used to encourage an alternative behavior. A tired dog is also a good dog so more exercise (walks, fetch, training sessions) can help quite a bit. A busy dog is a good dog as well. Food toys, thinking games, and training all help exercise the body and mind as well as keeping the dog entertained.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
haha lucy does seem pretty darn pleased w/ herself. we'll be outside, inside, whatever, and something passes her. she'll start barking and when it "retreats" she'll prance over to us all pleased with herself, whether it be a leaf, a jogger, or
a car. WE LIVE ON A HIGHWAY. SHE GOES OUT ON THE BALCONY
ON THE OTHER SIDE IS THE BEACH - LOTS OF HAPPY RUNNING PEOPLE.

gosh i love her so much but sometimes.... lol. we've tried the whole spray thing (she barks at us), rattling coins, etc etc. don't know what to do.

it's especially annoying/embarassing with people. i don't want people to think she's just a yippy annoying little dog, but i'm afraid they do when she wont shut up.

they all have their flaws i guess.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JMM - thanks SO much for your wisdom and advise!!! It is appreciated more than you can imagine.

Jessica - looks like we got some work to do!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut barks like crazy when people come and go...I've never even thought about it being because he's acknowledging a change...wow!!! Thanks Jackie!!! All I can think right now is 'DUH!!'
It all makes sense now... :D

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Mine's a barkaholic too! I can't do anything to stop them. Oh well.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@May 7 2005, 10:50 PM
One simple thing I do is when my dogs bark at something outside, I go to the window, look, and thank them for telling me. Often acknowledging their alert is all it takes.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60816
[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh!
I will have to give that a try!!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Shrek is a barker...so he sets Sylphide off! Sylphide is better trained, and older now, so a scolding will usually stop her, but Shrek is too young, yet. The problem with Shrek is that he barks at any sound and movement, including ours.

Shrek has a deep manly voice that is such a surprise coming out of a Maltese body. JMM, I'm going to try the acknowledgement trick and see if that works.

This is such a change from our previous dogs, who never barked in the house except to greet me.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@May 8 2005, 12:08 PM
Shrek is a barker...so he sets Sylphide off!  Sylphide is better trained, and older now, so a scolding will usually stop her, but Shrek is too young, yet.  The problem with Shrek is that he barks at any sound and movement, including ours. 

Shrek has a deep manly voice that is such a surprise coming out of a Maltese body.  JMM, I'm going to try the acknowledgement trick and see if that works. 

This is such a change from our previous dogs, who never barked in the house except to greet me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60888
[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about the manly bark. Little Catcher has such a deep bark... and he will usually hold his head up in the air and bark upwards, if that makes any sense. And his barks are usually in sets of three. But luckily, my guys don't bark too much, especially Catcher. Kallie barks when she wants something from me.... and I should ignore her but I think there is a natural reaction to want to respond to the bark. It takes a lot of self control to look the other way, etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
oh thank god i'm not alone!

dixie currently barks at everything

last week it seemed every time she went outside she was barking like mad. she completely ignores us telling her no and when we go out runs off barking at us

she barks in delight when she sees her yorkie cousins and when we come home, she barks at the wind, every single noise she hears, especially late at night when she barks to play

oh its hard but she's still the cutest

·
Banned
258 Posts
when i got canaille, my first dog, i knew one thing i would not tolerate is incessant barking. when she started barking, i covered up her mouth and held it closed with my hand saying "no bark". she got the message soon enough and now only barks for good reason, making her an efficient guard dog which at times comes in real handy.
here she is at the park last winter, with her boyfriend joel (a barker) watching a dog go by

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Adorable pictures!
In the last two I could swear that Canaille almost looks "annoyed" at him...

They are a cute pair!!!
Great photography work!!!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OMG...how adorable!!!! Such a precious pic!

Hubby and I went to PetsMart today (doesn't everyone on Mother's Day?) and bought a couple of books on puppy training and other puppy "issues". Needless to say, JMM is right on the money, as she alway is!!
Anyway, the books seem to follow JMM's philosophy about training and behavioral problems, which makes SO much sense when you read them. The only reason we bought the books is JMM will not come here and move into our guest room. I don't know why not. Sigh...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts