Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... as some of you know, Kodie is a BARKER just like MANY of your babies.
Kodie also has an attitude at times when he WANTS to do what he WANTS to do. I decided to try the Barker Breaker... someone mentioned it here on SM... soo I went on ebay and bought one!
So far everytime Kodie is bad I have used the barker breaker. I just push the button and say NO. It works so far!
I havent used it on his barking yet because he hasnt been barking lately..
hahaha.. but isnt this kinda the same idea as using a clicker.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
What happens when you push the button?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jun 16 2005, 08:47 AM
Well... as some of you know, Kodie is a BARKER just like MANY of your babies. 
  Kodie also has an attitude at times when he WANTS to do what he WANTS to do.  I decided to try the Barker Breaker... someone mentioned it here on SM... soo I went on ebay and bought one! 
So far everytime Kodie is bad I have used the barker breaker.  I just push the button and say NO.  It works so far! 
  I havent used it on his barking yet because he hasnt been barking lately.. 
hahaha.. but isnt this kinda the same idea as using a clicker.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72995
[/QUOTE]

Can you here the noise it makes?
I tried something like this before but we could here the sound it made and all it did was train chester to bark to the noise. When chester barked it would make this high pitch sound that we could here too and it was annoying. Then Chester would bark back at the sound. Cause he did not know what it was. It never worked. It just made it worse for us

How does this one work for you.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like your fire detector when the battery is dying.. that beeping noise.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brink would just bark more!
He HOWLS to the smoke detector and the weather alert siren.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jun 16 2005, 09:37 AM
It sounds like your fire detector when the battery is dying.. that beeping noise.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73015
[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, then it is simular to what we had before. Chester is so stuborn these devises just don't work for him. He barks like a crazy dog when the smoke alarm goes off. It hard enought the get that to stop, but with chester barking at the same time , my gosh. I told my husband ther is no way we would sleep though that alarm. I hardly use the toster anymore I can't stand the noise .
I'm glad it works for kodie.

The pennies in the can really scared chelsey. I only had to use it once and say no bark. So that command works for her. She does not like load noises. Also just saying No her works. She hate when we tell her bad girl.

None of these thing work for chester.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thing works soooo GREAT!!! I am soo happy I finally found SOMETHING that works!

I have advice for everyone trying to get your pup to listen... dont GIVE UP! Keep trying all different methods until ONE works for you!! Every pup is different.

·
Registered
939 Posts
i have one too and i can hear it when it goes but my hubby can i told hiom i knew you were part dog !
But i have seen too much improvement with buddy but it says to wait 3 to 4 weeks so they get it when they bark it goes off i wanna get one for his coller see if that works better ~ Denise

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
HELP!!!! Belle is driving us nuts with her barking when we have our grandchildren over. I've tried the can with the change and shaking it and it worked for a couple of days. She was afraid of it. She isn't afraid of it anymore. I'm working with the
word quiet and she knows what it means but that doesn't stop her. I've tried the
fabric choke chain with the quiet. NOTHING IS WORKING and she is driving us
all nuts. Oops, one thing does work. If I crate her and close the door to the room the crate is in she shuts up. I don't like to use the crate for punishment though.
AND as soon as I let her back out she starts barking like crazy again. She is a
brat - she wants the kids to play with her the entire time they are here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't think anything that makes a noise would work for a very long time because of my experience with the can and the change.
Thanks in advance, if anyone can help me I know there is someone on SM that can.

P.S. GREAT, Now she is barking in her crate because she hears us. I know there is an answer somewhere out there.
Jackie & Belle

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Maltese Adora-Belle@Jun 23 2005, 01:33 PM
HELP!!!!  Belle is driving us nuts with her barking when we have our grandchildren over.  I've tried the can with the change and shaking it and it worked for a couple of days.  She was afraid of it. She isn't afraid of it anymore.  I'm working with the
word quiet and she knows what it means but that doesn't stop her.  I've tried the
fabric choke chain with the quiet.  NOTHING IS WORKING  and she is driving us
all nuts.  Oops, one thing does work.  If I crate her and close the door to the room the crate is in she shuts up.  I don't like to use the crate for punishment though.
AND as soon as I let her back out she starts barking like crazy again.  She is a
brat - she wants the kids to play with her the entire time they are here.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I don't think anything that makes a noise would work for a very long time because of my experience with the can and the change. 

Thanks in advance, if anyone can help me I know there is someone on SM that can. 

P.S.  GREAT, Now she is barking in her crate because she hears us.  I know there is an answer somewhere out there. 
Jackie & Belle
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74690
[/QUOTE]
If you find anything that works let me know. Lexi sometimes has barking fits in the car. Drives me nuts!!!

M

·
0 Posts
I've had the Barker Breaker for over ten years now. Funny, a neighbor gave it to me as a gift when my Bichon was younger....guess he thought she barked too much. It has always worked - she not only stopped barking, she also came to me...which I keep telling her was not really necessary. After a while we didn't need to beep it anymore, we just showed her the box and that was enough, we could even substitute the remote control for the TV in a pinch. My bichon is now 13 years old and I have two young Maltese (who are barkers too). My only problem was that it hurt Lacie's ears, so if she's not barking, I feel like it's mean to punish her for what the other two are doing.

Lace has been pretty hard of hearing lately and I even think she may be almost completely deaf. She's not sick or anything, so this may be a good thing...now I'm happily beeping the Barker Breaker again - and it's working. Yipee

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
OK, Desperation has set in. I have looked online and there are 3 different ones that I saw. I'm thinking they all work on the same principle, but wanted to know from those of you that have had success with the Barker Breaker which ones you are using. I have seen the Amtek Super Barker Breaker; Super Barker Breaker and Sure Stop Barker Breaker. Any further info on the particular ones you are using with success would be greatly appreciated by the whole extended family! Love that girl to pieces but enough is enough already.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thanks Kodie's Mom. I'm glad I didn't go out and buy one. The can with the change worked for awhile til she figured out that it wasn't going to hurt her and was no big deal. At least I have company going thru this with me, makes one feel better - but it would be nice if we could find the right answer. I appreciate you responding.
~Jackie

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 27 Posts