Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ugh... barking.. i'm sure there's another thread on this, but i'm just going to start this one because alice, my 3mo old puppy, won't stop barking when she wants something! will this pass? how can i stop it? i very quietly say "shhh...." and praise her when she stops... but this really isn't working. help? :blush: thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
yep...ignore ignore ignore. Leila used to demand attention like this, too. She learned pretty quickly that it meant I would be turning my back or going into the other room until she was quiet. Then I'd usually say something like "good quiet" and give her what she wanted. They learn fast. Just don't 'teach' her that barking gets her what she wants.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks ;) i think it's difficult for her to learn about barking when our other dogs bark a lot (it's just blood in their breed). i'm afraid she's going to catch onto their barking when someone comes to the door, so i try to keep her with me at all times. when the dogs do bark at someone, i look at alice and say "shhhh..." and praise her for never barking.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
you can teach the other dogs that barking gets them nothing if you ignore them, too! in fact, i think its easiest for you and the dogs if the rules are the same for all dogs in a household. now, getting all humans in the household to cooperate might be tougher, lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hello everyone
I did a search about barking and came to this thread. My baby seems to do the same thing. I agree with ignoring her but the problem is this.... When I am home (in NJ in my house) I have much more freedom to do this. When I am in NYC in my apt, the neighbors do not react kindly to me ignoring the barking. They seem to get irritated (rightly so) about it.
Its almost as if she knows because she seems to bark more in NYC and never when she hears things...only when she wants attention :(

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Well isn't she the smart little girl! She's got it all figured out, LOL. I do the ignore thing too. But my husband responds to him every time...training humans are a lot harder. I didn't know I'd be training my husband along with the dog. I can understand your city neighbors complaining about constant barking. I know in NYC they do not tolerate barking. Maybe try a bottle of Corrector? it's a spray can of forced air. It worked for Rocky. Use it at the apartment only. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts