Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Reminder: Sammie's brother passed from shunt at 5 months and Sammie is now 11 months). He had the BAT yesterday. Your feedback is appreciated, as I feel thankful, but unsure this morning since we have to retest him.

Here are his results and what the Vet just told me.

This is not bad or perfect news. Based on his numbers and that he has no clinical signs, there is no need to make any changes at this time BUT he wants to retest him in 6 months because his numbers are higher than normal. This does not mean he has a shunt -- but he would have liked for his post food # to be lower, since perfect is in the 20's.

9.4 Pre food (I forgot to ask if this is normal)
56 Post food (his brother was 200+)

Thanks,
Kandis & Sammie

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Hi Kandis,

Based on the actual Bile Acid results and Sammie's lack of any clinical signs I would say that you DO NOT have to worry about a shunt. It sounds like Sammy falls into the same category at 65-75% of all our Maltese ... Asymptomatic MVD. Abnormal Bile Acid results are always going to be abnormal whether at 12 weeks or 12 months or 12 years. And each time you test you will get a different result than the time before, although not a marked difference. Instead of repeating the Bile Acid test, I would be doing a complete blood panel yearly, paying particular attention to the liver enzymes (ALT and AST). There is a ton of good information on SM about liver issues; however, it can be confusing and overwhelming. I would be happy to talk to you privately, send you some information that you can pass on to your vet, and answer any questions you have to the extent that I'm able. If you'd like to talk about this feel free to send me a PM with your contact info and I will get in touch with you.

The bottom line is ... YOU HAVE NO NEED TO WORRY!

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kandis,

Based on the actual Bile Acid results and Sammie's lack of any clinical signs I would say that you DO NOT have to worry about a shunt. It sounds like Sammy falls into the same category at 65-75% of all our Maltese ... Asymptomatic MVD. Abnormal Bile Acid results are always going to be abnormal whether at 12 weeks or 12 months or 12 years. And each time you test you will get a different result than the time before, although not a marked difference. Instead of repeating the Bile Acid test, I would be doing a complete blood panel yearly, paying particular attention to the liver enzymes (ALT and AST). There is a ton of good information on SM about liver issues; however, it can be confusing and overwhelming. I would be happy to talk to you privately, send you some information that you can pass on to your vet, and answer any questions you have to the extent that I'm able. If you'd like to talk about this feel free to send me a PM with your contact info and I will get in touch with you.

The bottom line is ... YOU HAVE NO NEED TO WORRY!
:ThankYou:
I was SO hoping for you to reply MaryH. Thank you so much for taking time out on xmas eve to write to me. I just keep looking at him and wondering having seen it in his brother. I feel better now. :happy:I can relax a little.
I will PM you later today or tomorrow so we can talk. I read a blood test was next step as well with his numbers, but I wanted to see what you guys said. It is so hard to figure all of it out. My Vet is open to any helpful info on this problem. We are glad we tested him now. I just want to get him the right help ASAP if there is anything I need to do now. God Bless and I will talk to you soon! Sam is chomping at the bit to go outside now!
Kandis

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Aww, I'm so happy Mary gave you such informative and positive news. Yeah baby!!!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

1 - 4 of 4 Posts