Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I learned something today. I can give a hair cut more easily when he's IN the bath tub. His hair was about five inches long, but now his hair is about an inch long.

Here he is laying on the couch. The one picture of his legs is of his nasty mats, which is part of the reason he got a hair cut.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Boom does NOT look amused, he is adorable though!!
Was he wet when you gave him the haircut, I know you said he was in the tub......and if he was you must not of used electric clippers!! How do you get him to stand still long enough to scissor cut him?? He has to be a very good boy to stand still for that long

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
he looks adorable!! yeah, i was wondering the same thing: did you use clippers or scissors? i have a wet/dry clipper, but i havent used it on the girls while they're wet. it freaks me out. LOL. he looks cute!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hes unimpressed in those pictures.

I took him outside and cut with scissors about three - four inches off. He's a lil squirmy. I just put him on a leash, sat down outside and kept him close. He got snippy around his face so I left it to later.

I put him in the tub and he was actually shampoo'd at that time and I cut his legs, neck, and face with scissors. I have clippers, but I have a very small comb and I wanted about an inch long cut when I was done.

I'll get more pictures of him when he's dry. He's covered in mats still tho. I went out of town for four days, then another day later that week, then I went out of town for three days, with a day inbetween each trip. Noone took his collar off or brushed him. He's a mess
His hair needs to be cut still shorter.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@May 23 2005, 04:19 PM

I took him outside and cut with scissors about three - four inches off.  He's a lil squirmy.  I just put him on a leash, sat down outside and kept him close.  He got snippy around his face so I left it to later.

I put him in the tub and he was actually shampoo'd at that time and I cut his legs, neck, and face with scissors.  I have clippers, but I have a very small comb and I wanted about an inch long cut when I was done. 

I'll get more pictures of him when he's dry.  He's covered in mats still tho.  I went out of town for four days, then another day later that week, then I went out of town for three days, with a day inbetween each trip.  Noone took his collar off or brushed him.  He's a mess
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64588
[/QUOTE]
That is what I'm afraid will happen when I go to San Diego. I'm taking Lexi to the groomers 2 days before I leave. So hopefully that will help. I'm hoping to get a new step in harness that will let me leave her collar (doesn't cause her to matt) on so she has her tags on all the time. The harness she has now causes her to matt a lot.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Boomer certainly isn't amused that's for sure. Poor baby.

Do you think detangling shampoo really makes that much of a difference? From the beginning I've used Bo Derek's Detangling Shampoo on Izzy and she has never matted like that. She had one tiny mat one time when I cut out a rubber band. What do you think caused Boomer's mats?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boom has NEVER matted this bad. He has mats on his butt from where he was scooting when his leg was hurt.

This time it was from the collar and not having been taken off. I think I'm gonna try the shampoo that was bless the beasts or something in hopes that it'll help. Also, his hair wasn't as healthy as usual, perhaps from the weather change. He has short hair now, and he's adorable.

It's not all even so I'm going to have to even it out.

Its the first time I've cut his hair like this, and I'm really happy about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@May 23 2005, 05:19 PM

I took him outside and cut with scissors about three - four inches off.  He's a lil squirmy.  I just put him on a leash, sat down outside and kept him close.  He got snippy around his face so I left it to later.

I put him in the tub and he was actually shampoo'd at that time and I cut his legs, neck, and face with scissors.  I have clippers, but I have a very small comb and I wanted about an inch long cut when I was done. 

I'll get more pictures of him when he's dry.  He's covered in mats still tho.  I went out of town for four days, then another day later that week, then I went out of town for three days, with a day inbetween each trip.  Noone took his collar off or brushed him.  He's a mess
[/QUOTE]

There is a way to cut the mats without losing length in the hair. It takes time and patience though, but it can be done. Instead f cutting the mats out, cut right through the mats... I'm not sure if i'm explaining this right but you cut vertically instead of horizontally. Then you brush it out while it's wet, with a dollop of conditioner in it, or after the bath, with the conditioner rinsed out. It takes time to go through the mats and it may seem hopeless at first but it really does work! I thought I was going to have to shave my baby but I did this and about an hour later, i was done and Diamond still had long hair! It was also a little thinner which made it easier to manage.

Just a tip.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Originally posted by lilluv117+May 23 2005, 07:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Boom Boom's Mom
@May 23 2005, 05:19 PM

There is a way to cut the mats without losing length in the hair. It takes time and patience though, but it can be done. Instead f cutting the mats out, cut right through the mats... I'm not sure if i'm explaining this right but you cut vertically instead of horizontally. Then you brush it out while it's wet, with a dollop of conditioner in it, or after the bath, with the conditioner rinsed out. It takes time to go through the mats and it may seem hopeless at first but it really does work! I thought I was going to have to shave my baby but I did this and about an hour later, i was done and Diamond still had long hair! It was also a little thinner which made it easier to manage.

Just a tip.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64675
[/B][/QUOTE]

Great idea!!

Boom looks adorable! He just looks exhausted, is all.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I have also taken care of mats with thinning shears in about the same way as the cutting through them vertically. I just make one snip in the middle of the mat with the thinning shears, and then pull it apart and comb gently through it. So far, the few mats that Brink has gotten have disappeared this way without having to cut a chunk out. You can't even tell once I am done.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I had the same problem with Kodie. He was NEVER as matted as he was recently. It was so bad... I CUT EVERYTHING OFF! haha..

I think Boom is giving you a look that he isnt happy.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
BOOM BOOM looks sooooooo snoooty! LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts