Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bathing piper once a week.. she has not been groomed yet bc they want all her shots before they do it...should be next week.
The problem I am experiencing is that from day one she is petrified of water and blow drying. I know they groomed her in the store I bought her from and I am wondering if she had a bad experience that made her so terribly afraid. She shakes for up to 30 or 40 minutes after...and starts as soon as she sees the water running in the sink.
:(

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i think she will get better at t , mine used to shake alot ,but not anymore, not his favorite thing but he tolerates ... i would advice to give lots of praise and treats ,.. make sure wateris not too hot or too cold , n when u blow dry give treats along the way ..

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,701 Posts
All of my dogs (except the present puppy)have hated baths---I think it was just their character! This little guy is pretty positive---but I give him very, very, very tiny pieces of chicken along the way! Also, very important---don't make the hair dryer very hot---they are more sensitive to heat---or very loud---see if that helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
All of my dogs (except the present puppy)have hated baths---I think it was just their character!
I agree...some are better about it than others. Daisy manages the bathing part OK and is scared of the blow drier, Gracie is fine with the blow dryer but when it comes to bathtime I swear she thinks we're trying to drown her:blink: I just take the parts that scare them slow and give lots of reassurance along the way (never force them when they are acting petrified...sooth them a bit til they relax and then back to what I was trying to do)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Rocky still shakes sometimes...make sure the door to the room is closed and she is not getting a draft. Rocky doesn't mind the bath, but doesn't to this day like the blow dryer and brushing. I'm waiting for the day he just sits back and enjoys all the pampering. I wish I had this much pampering...maybe in my next life I'll come back as a Maltese!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts