Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stick Molly in the kitchen sink every weekend and give her a good scrubby dub. She is 6 months old now and seems to be getting used to it, although it definately is not one of her favorite things!
I do her body first, shampoo and then condition, when I start on her head and face she becomes a little wild child! I use a tearless shampoo and when the rinse cycle comes, she is bucking like a bronco! I have my little sprayer at the sink and I spray her head and face, cooing to her of my undying love, but she just freaks. :new_Eyecrazy: Her tear stains arent bad but I like to shampoo and rinse that area really good. Am I doing something wrong? I know it must be scarey to her when I douse her head and the hair covers her eyes and water gets in her nose from all her wiggling. I feel so bad
What does everyone do about the face at bath time?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I use the kitchen sink as well. I use the sprayer( which I clean first) turn it on really low and put it right up against his face. This avoids the splash and noise. It also gives me control of the water makes it easier to ensure that he isn't getting sprayed in the eyes or nose on accident.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Chloe hates the sprayer regardless of how I do it, she'll shake like a leaf. What I do is bathe her in our double kitchen sink. I fill one side up with water and put her in the other side. With a small cup I wet her so I can shampoo her and rinse her off really well - repeating the steps for conditioning. For her face I substitute the small cup with a hair color type bottle that I bought from the beauty supply. I have that filled with clean water and since it has a long pointy top I can rinse her head and face really really well without getting anything in her eyes.

She doesn't fuss at all with this technique. I get everything ready before I get her and it just takes us a few minutes to finish.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
When I do start looking for a house I want one with nice deep sinks! My kitchen sinks are kind of not shallow, but not deep either. I would like to have a second sink in like the the laundry room that is just a single, not double sink. Lexi just fits in my double sink.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My babies HATE HATE HATE HATE taking a bath. They really hate when I wash their faces. I try to aim the sprayer only on the hair and not their eyes and nose though...I have to hold onto their hair/face to do so or else they wont stay still.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I bathe Ruby Jean in our laundry room sink--its deep and she seems to be calmer when I fill it to about waist high for her and shampoo her like that. Then with the sprayer I rinse her(and let the sink empty) -which she hates...I think I will try the squeeze bottle with the pointee tip for her face--she'd probably like that better.....
not that she likes ANYTHING about bathtime. She always knows when I start rustling around in the laundry room getting all her things out--she finds daddy and wants him to save her.
I really gotta get daddy to give her a bath.....it always makes me feel bad when I have to hunt her down....the look on her face is so sad.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jun 7 2005, 11:17 AM
I also bath Lexi in the kitchen sink.  She does not like me to use the sprayer on her face so I use a wash cloth and use a small amount of shampoo.  I use a comb to get rid of the goobers.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70014
[/QUOTE]
I also use a wash cloth. I put the tearless shampoo on my hands and then rub it on Kodies face... I then use the wash cloth for the rinsing part. I make the cloth wet and squeeze some water on his face as I get the shampoo off. It really does work!

Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jun 7 2005, 11:34 AM
When I do start looking for a house I want one with nice deep sinks!  My kitchen sinks are kind of not shallow, but not deep either.  I would like to have a second sink in like the the laundry room that is just a single, not double sink.  Lexi just fits in my double sink.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70030
[/QUOTE]
omg!! My parents redid our kitchen this Feb and they are finally done with it. They gutted the whole kitchen out and everything is new. The sink is HUGE and SO DEEP. Its soo much better for washing kodie!! I dont get AS WET now! hehe.. very good idea to get one!
I have a picture I can post when I get home from work.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think it's the sprayer most dogs hate. I use those mustard/ketchup plastic bottles and fill them up with water. Lady doesn't mind the water at all that way and you can direct where the water goes much better than a sprayer. I also use Absolutely Natural shampoo which rinses out quickly.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie+Jun 7 2005, 12:24 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Jun 7 2005, 11:34 AM
When I do start looking for a house I want one with nice deep sinks!  My kitchen sinks are kind of not shallow, but not deep either.  I would like to have a second sink in like the the laundry room that is just a single, not double sink.  Lexi just fits in my double sink.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70030
omg!! My parents redid our kitchen this Feb and they are finally done with it. They gutted the whole kitchen out and everything is new. The sink is HUGE and SO DEEP. Its soo much better for washing kodie!! I dont get AS WET now! hehe.. very good idea to get one!
I have a picture I can post when I get home from work.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70089
[/B][/QUOTE]
When Lexi stands in my sink the top of the sink is just slightly about her belly. It is nuts. I've tried washing her in the bath tub but she did not like that. She was so scared. She hates baths but at least in the sink she isn't scared and will stand there until I'm done.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
OMG Kristi! I can't believe your sink is that shallow, that is crazy. I like your idea about the laundry room sink and might have to convince my husband to put one in. If your ears start burning it will probably be him thanking you for the great idea!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Alex LOVES to get a shower. Now that we have our new shower stall it's even easier. We have a bench in it. I put Alex on top of the bench and use the hand held shower head. It's not a shower head that splashes. I use the same shampoo all over even around his eyes. I too, like to clean this area real good. He does not mind me letting the water run over his head. I try to put my hand over his nose when he lifts his head so he won't get water in his nose, but he does not want me to. So we do it real fast so the water cannot get in it and then we rinse the beard from the sides and from under. :D He will stand up and hold on to my arm so we can rinse his belly.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jun 7 2005, 06:30 PM
Alex LOVES to get a shower. Now that we have our new shower stall it's even easier. We have a bench in it. I put Alex on top of the bench and use the hand held shower head. It's not a shower head that splashes. I use the same shampoo all over even around his eyes. I too, like to clean this area real good. He does not mind me letting the water run over his head. I try to put my hand over his nose when he lifts his head so he won't get water in his nose, but he does not want me to. So we do it real fast so the water cannot get in it and then we rinse the beard from the sides and from under. :D He will stand up and hold on to my arm so we can rinse his belly.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70270
[/QUOTE]

This sounds a lot like Brinkley's baths!

I don't have a bench thing though, so I do his down in the tub...we also have a hand-held shower thing...so it works great if I get the water flow on low...he doesn't mind the water on his face so much...I just do it quick and try to cover his eyes and nose...

·
Registered
188 Posts
OMG - I'm so glad to hear other people's babies don't like bath time. I was beginning to think it was only Molly.

I took her to Petsmart, where they groomed a little off her face and feet. When I went to pick her up, they said they have really good puppy training classes. I was offended and haven't taken her back there.

I just think she doesn't like baths, not that she couldn't use more training.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I got the squeeze bottle and rinsed Ruby's face (under her eye area) and it worked so much better. She actually was still while I was doing it.!! Thanks for the great idea!! I hope someday she will not mind her baths so much, its so sad.
Instead of calling her the beauty queen we should call her the drama queen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by RubyJeansmom@Jun 9 2005, 05:41 AM
I got the squeeze bottle and rinsed Ruby's face (under her eye area) and it worked so much better. She actually was still while I was doing it.!! Thanks for the great idea!!  I  hope someday she will not mind her baths so much, its so sad. 
  Instead of calling her the beauty queen we should call her the drama queen. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70801
[/QUOTE]

Too funny! I tried the squirty bottle with Molly too! She was much more behaved and quiet but I still got the "eyes". Its so cute when she cuts her eyes at me without moving her head as if to say, " I will let you do this to me but I DON'T like it one bit!" She makes me smile everyday :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts