Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting harder and harder for me to bathe the girls in the tub. I just can't bend over, anymore. I've tried doing it in the shower, but that just ends up with me being all wet, too. Then they shiver while I dry off. L( And, the bathroom sinks just aren't deep enough.

So... I've thought about bathing them in the kitchen sink, but hubby, at the moment, is dead set against it. Although he hasn't actually said why (he just gives me that "look" lol), I guess he's worried about germs and dirt in the kitchen! Like my kitchen is spotless to begin with! :blush: But it does have a beautifully big, deep, stainless steel sink with a faucet sprayer. Really, the perfect place to give them a bath!

Anyway, I was wondering - how many of you actually bathe your Malts in the kitchen sink? Do you think it's really that unsanitary? I means the girls aren't that dirty to begin with! I was actually thinking about sneaking and doing it anyway, but didn't think that was the right thing to do - so I won't if he doesn't agree.

Thanks for anything you can share to bolster to my "argument" as to why it shouldn't be an issue.

If he would just finish my "grooming" room in the garage this wouldn't even be an issue!!! Men!!!! LOL

Linda

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I have never bathed anywhere other than the kitchen sink ... for all the reasons you just mentioned. How is bathing a dog in the kitchen sink any more unsanitary than your husband using the same tub/shower that you use (assuming you don't disinfect every square inch of the tub/shower after each use)? When I'm done bathing dogs I have good reason to wipe down the counters, cabinets, and floor .... sigh!!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i bathe my pup in kitchen sink , i guess some ppl will view it as unsanitary but hey , no one has to know lol , i wash him there and then i clean the sink..

i mean if i was worried about germs i would be worried about bathing them were i bathe u know ..

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Always have bathed my babies in the kitchen sink :) This way it get cleaned thoroughly before they go in :) and then cleaned again, when they are done, just like Mary said.

I always had my eye on one of these, but I don't think it will fit my kitchen sink. I mainly wanted it, as Leo, is a turbo bather....and thought it would confine him more.

Maybe if this fits your sink, hubby would be okay with it. Even though, I see nothing wrong with bathing the babies in the kitchen sink.

Pet Gear Pup Tub - Pink (PG2129PK)

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I have always bathed them in the sink. I tried a few times in the bathtub but my back is not the best. The only one now that is bathed in the tub is Cody and that is due to his size. All you need to do is get some comet out and your good to go. I scrub before bathing them and then after I'm done.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I always bathe my guys in the kitchen sink. Like the others,
I clean the sink well before they get in there and then again
after. As a result, I think the kitchen sink is actually cleaner
than it was before I had my little guys.. lol.

I also use this bath mat in the sink because they don't slip as
much and they seem to feel more comfortable.

Rinse ACE Bathing Mats - Grooming - Dog - PetSmart

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've always used the kitchen sink, too. It's the perfect height and I love being able to use the sprayer to direct the water flow more easily. Maybe you could agree to spray down the sink with some sort of disinfectant after? Although, seems a bit strange to me...sinks normally are just full of dirty dishes that need to be cleaned anyway...

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Always have bathed my babies in the kitchen sink :) This way it get cleaned thoroughly before they go in :) and then cleaned again, when they are done, just like Mary said.

I always had my eye on one of these, but I don't think it will fit my kitchen sink. I mainly wanted it, as Leo, is a turbo bather....and thought it would confine him more.

Maybe if this fits your sink, hubby would be okay with it. Even though, I see nothing wrong with bathing the babies in the kitchen sink.

Pet Gear Pup Tub - Pink (PG2129PK)
I wonder if the drain hole would allow this to be placed on the counter with the drain hole over the sink? I never bath them with the water in the tub - I use the hand held shower head. I looked at all of the links and it doesn't quite explain. It does look big for the average kitchen sink though. Plus, I have a feeling anywhere in the kitchen would be an issue for hubby!

Would I even think about putting a portable table in the shower and this on top? That would be a lot of work! lol

Linda

·
Registered
552 Posts
My husband gets right in the bathtub with Dora to bathe her. :) Although we have done a couple baths in the kitchen sink, I worried about her squirming out and falling, and hubby prefers the tub, so I let him do it his way (I broke out in hives when I tried to bathe her so it's his job). So I vote that if you're the one to bathe her, you get to do what's easiest for you.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I always bathe Hannah in the kitchen sink & sometimes even Boo. He's a big boy,but I have the extra deep sinks. I don't see any problem with it,we don't eat out of the sink & I don't prepare food in the sink either. I always use a bleach cleaner to clean the sink & I don't think my Fluffs are nasty & germy anyway,no more than a human is.:innocent:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've always used the kitchen sink, too. It's the perfect height and I love being able to use the sprayer to direct the water flow more easily. Maybe you could agree to spray down the sink with some sort of disinfectant after? Although, seems a bit strange to me...sinks normally are just full of dirty dishes that need to be cleaned anyway...
I think it's strange,too! He loves the girls so much - let's them kiss him on the lips, will wash their butts when needed, makes sure they have everything the need, etc.

I even told him - it's okay for possibly salmonella laden raw chicken to go in the sink, but not your babies and he still said no. :blink:

Linda

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I have always used the kitchen sink. I use vinegar and baking soda to clean the sink (and the rest of the kitchen) afterward.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I also bathe the dogs in the kitchen sink. We purchased an extra-deep sink (10") specifically so I could bathe the dogs easily in it. I disinfect the sink before I bathe with Clorox Anywhere Spray, and disinfect again after I'm done bathing the dogs.

I tried bathing the dogs in the bathtub, but it killed my back (I'm only 25), and it was nearly impossible to do because London just wants to move to the back end of the tub. Also, I found it took twice as long because I had to fill a cup with water over and over again to rinse them off, rather than just use the kitchen faucet sprayer.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use the kitchen sink. The sprayer comes in very handy too.

Plus, it's so easy on the back.

I have a special pink dish pan just for libby. Before and after, I clean out the sink with Armo hammer scrub free with bleach.

Here's Libby modeling her pink pan. She was shaking, thinking it was bath time LOL! Poor baby really does not like getting her head wet at all.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Would I even think about putting a portable table in the shower and this on top? That would be a lot of work! lol

Linda
I have a friend who travels to dog shows with her own wrench and hand held shower sprayer. When it's time to bathe the dog she removes the shower head and replaces it with the hand held shower sprayer. And I have another friend who does bring along a portable metal table, sets it into the hotel tub, places a rubber mat on top and sets her dog on the table for bathing. If your husband is really opposed to you using the kitchen sink then maybe he'd be willing to replace your shower head with the hand held type and you can get a portable table to set into the tub.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Have always bathed my two in the kitchen sink. First, I scrub before putting them in and after i am finished all my grooming, I scrub again and spray with a lysol disinfectant.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts