Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of your malts actually enjoy their baths and blow drying? Brooklyn hates every minute of it.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley: Enjoys a bath??? That's funny!!

(I will admit that mine doesn't mind the hair dryer at all...but baths are a different thing altogether!)

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
LOL they don't enjoy it but they enjoy when their baths are finished! I really can't complain though...they are pretty good during their bath and blow dry sessions. But once they are done and clean they are so happy. They do the "look at me" prance around the house.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Floees great in the bath! And she doesnt mind the blow drying either - Bellas quite good in the bath and so is mya, im pretty lucky but nether of them really enjoy the blow drying.Bella makes weird sounds the whole timr and mya trys to lie down as you are drying her lol

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
dolce doesnt mind the bath as long as the water is falling on him , n he likes it warm ... he likes the blow dryer too what he doesnt like is the brushing much , i guess because hes been matting , but he definitely is getting a puppy cut soon , ive just been a little broke because my daughter is getting braces and ive been getting the money that i have to pay together...

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Ullana really likes bathing and also blow drying! It sounds funny, but she starts sleeping while drying!!! Funny girl! :HistericalSmiley:

But on the other hand she hates rain and any water outside! She never would take a step into the ocean while our vacation!!!

Alexandra :wub:

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
All three of mine hate baths. Josey and Mandy tolerate it better than Cody, though. They dislike blow drying, too. But, prefer blow drying over the water.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Rocky doesn't mind his bath too much..he likes the warm water running on him. He likes the blow drying, but not crazy about the brushing. He is getting better though and yesterday he stood perfectly still for me while I trimmed him up a bit. :)

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Boo hates baths & gives me a hard time, but he's ok with the blowdrying. Hannah doesn't really like either bath or blowdry, but she behaves like an angel & makes it easy for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Haley doesn't really like baths and doesn't like blow drying either. When it's bath time, her tail comes down and sometimes she shakes. In the shower, she hates water running over her, but when I hold her, she's a little bit calmer; she also sometimes cowers in the corner.

She tolerates a bath, but just barely. When its over, she is ready to climb out of the tub by herself! I don't blow dry her, but towel dry her for a while and then she does her crazy zoomies around my place. Of course I'm super sweet and gentle with her in the bath, but she doesn't like it at all!

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Emily and Sasha tollerate it,so does Amber, Rylee and Bitsy must not have had many baths,they just hate it and are so scared,I kid them they'll have a stroke if they don't relax. They don't mind the hair dryer. They love the towling the best,all that rubbing is like being pet to them. The best part...the treats while grooming!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tinker usually does OK in the bath but Tiger Lily is not a fan, although my wife gave them their baths last time and said it was the other way around that time.... who knows?

My mom also has a Maltese and she suggested lining the bath tub with a towel so they don't slide around and then they get less panicky. As for blow drying, I found that if I put Tinker in my lap and let her back paws touch the floor and her front paws touch my leg, she feels more comfortable and secure and does pretty well for blow drying.

They're both still puppies, though, so we're working with them and "training" them to be comfortable with it all.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, now I feel ridiculous. :embarrassed: I was pretty proud of my pups last month when they were doing so well with grooming and blow drying and all!

Then we went to the vet and she recommended bathing them less so their ears didn't develop problems and their skin did not dry out. (We were bathing them pretty frequently and they are indoor dogs so I suppose it wasn't all that necessary. :blush:)

Well, I bathed them both this morning, individually of course. The bath went about like normal but when it came time to blow them dry, it was disastrous, both times! Normally, I cradle them in my lap, back feet on the floor, front feet on my thigh and hold them while I dry them on the low setting. They usually squirm a lil but it is very do-able.

Today, Tiger Lily went first and freaked out bad, climbed up my torso and onto my chest and shoulders... I have scratches all over :( She kept trying to run away and the sound of the blow dryer was just scaring her half to death.

Next was Tinker, who has always been more mellow with blow dryers and grooming but she, too, was having no part of it; the noise and air seemed to scare her and she was actually growling at me at one point!

What the heck? It has been a bit since we last blow dried them but not more than a couple weeks. Is this part of them growing into their personalities and not being easy-to-handle baby puppies anymore or did they simply forget about it?

Also, what do you guys do while grooming? If they are acting antsy and difficult, do you give them treats to keep them still or is that just rewarding the bad behavior? When you comb them out, do you do it on a sturdy surface or hold them in your lap? And if you have a longer haired pup, do you keep going until their hair is mat free or do you give them a lil break for a while?

Urgh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts