Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have to bathe Rose every 2-3 weeks and she hardly ever mats even though her hair stands out. My Lily is a different story. Her coat lies very flat and in less than a week, I start finding little mats. They get brushed and combed every day. Does this mean I should bathe Lily more often? I would appreciate any thoughts you have...

April

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Lola's hair is flat too. I have to bathe her once a week or she starts matting. Even with that she is matting with her harness. I think the summer weather is making it worse than usual also if your dogs new coat is coming in it can make a difference.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
My dogs play hard...outside. Baths are at least one per week...minimum.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Lilly gets a bath every 3 to 4 days. Onec during the week and once on Sunday after we get dirty on the weekend, playing in the garden and a little bit at the dog park.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I agree, once every week wether she needs it or not, and more if she gets into something (which rarely happens) and for sure brushing at LEAST once a day. Normally 2 times (because I'm obsessive like that LOL)

·
Premium Member
17,469 Posts
Kitzi is bathed every week or 10 days depending on how he looks---face every day. I do the ears, clean between paws (hairs), hairs from ears, and before bath I express the anal glands (10 days max for him on this one)---I hope that improves w/time::smpullhair:. My husband does his nails on an "as needed basis." He gets combed/or brushed every day---usually more than once & sometimes more than twice---we have not had a mat yet. Today I noticed he has 2 baby teeth & the 2 grown up teeth in the back of the baby teeth! They are in the very front and don't seem loose yet. I don't want to have then taken out yet as he is pretty allergic to lots of stuff.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
As a rule here in the summertime all my cut down dogs get bathed once a week because they are out in the yard a lot playing and going for walks, etc. In the wintertime they can go 10-14 days between baths because they aren't out as much in the yard or street walking. The dogs in long coat get bathed more frequently, usually every 4-5 days. If I was having matting issues with one I would bath and condition more frequently and I would be careful not to use too harsh a shampoo (like a clarifying or whitening shampoo). A dry coat will mat as quickly as a dirty coat. Even if kept short, every coat is different and may require different products and/or a different schedule.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ramsey gets matts a lot, so this summer I have kept him in a really short puppy cut. It seems to help because he's always getting dirty and this way I don't have to bathe him so much. He still goes once a week but sometimes I can make it longer. Maybe this winter I will let it grow out a little.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
No matting issues here for either pup, but they have very diffeent coats--one is cottony-puffy and the other is silky flat. Both are bathed weekly, though.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Aolani gets bathed every Sunday unless he recently was treated with his flea mnedication. In that case I'll let another week go by before bathing him. I will, however, water his paws when he comes in from romping around outside and clean his face during this time and he always gets brushed becuase that cottony hair of his gets matted very easily. He doesn't get that doggy smell and even the swim trainer told him yesterday that he smells good (he probably didn't smell good, but he sure didn't smell bad either) and he hadn't been bathed in two weeks.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
If you are getting little mats, you might want to bathe more often. My dogs that I show I bathe every 4-7 days.
You may be onto something... things have been nuts around here lately, and I noticed a lot more of those bitty mats. They also have gone longer between baths.

Note to self: Schedule Doggy Bath Day ASAP :blink:

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like my Lily's hair long and I will start bathing her more often-I just don't want to dry her out. I have noticed that I tend to bathe more in the summer and less in winter. Thanks for the great advice. I really enjoy seeing your posts and all of your beautiful Maltese:wub:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i bathe dolce every 7 days and more now in the summer hcause hes out more.. only thing about hvg a white dog is that the dirt shows lol , and i love my baby to smell good ! he does matt now i guess its that his coat is changing ... and the harness doesnt help..

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
reina gets a bath every 4-7 days, she is in coat but dirt just sticks to her hair for some reason. stuart will brush out nicely, so he gets a full bath about once every 10 days and every day after a walk he gets a foot and face bath only. otherwise his feet get very irritated from the dirt on our sidewalks and he chews them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts