Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baxters regular groomer has had surgery and will not be working until mid January. I really wanted him to look good for Christmas so I set out to find someone with an opening and PetSmart was all I could find with only a weeks notice. So we go tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.

I am nervous because for one I am worried how Baxter will act with a complete stranger and two they have never groomed for me and I am scared I will leave specific instructions about what I like and do not want done (ex. Do not cut his length - just scissor trim) and they will get scissor happy! I realize it will grow back but I do not want the length cut. I'm just nervous I suppose.

They said it will take 3 hours for him
seems like a long time. Guess I just needed to voice my concerns here because I knew my SM friends would understand.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I guess you are going to Jackson?

I will be thinking about you.
I will give you the name of my groomer here....or close to me anyway. It would be a drive for you..but she gets me in like at 3:30 or 4:00...I go to Walmart and come back and he is finished. All my friends use her too and we all love her! let me know if you change your mind...you and Baxter could come by and visit on your way back home!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Baxters regular groomer has had surgery and will not be working until mid January. I really wanted him to look good for Christmas so I set out to find someone with an opening and PetSmart was all I could find with only a weeks notice. So we go tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.

I am nervous because for one I am worried how Baxter will act with a complete stranger and two they have never groomed for me and I am scared I will leave specific instructions about what I like and do not want done (ex. Do not cut his length - just scissor trim) and they will get scissor happy! I realize it will grow back but I do not want the length cut. I'm just nervous I suppose.

They said it will take 3 hours for him
seems like a long time. Guess I just needed to voice my concerns here because I knew my SM friends would understand.[/B]

I use a specific groomer at my local Petsmart. I would make sure NOT to initial the "mat shave" release block. That means you do not authorize them to shave them. I know they have one groomer who at the first sight of one small mat shaves the dogs. That is why I always make sure the appointment is with a specific groomer, I insist that she is the only one doing it and now I call and set up the appointment when I can just wait for the puppy. It is usually 1 hour to 1 1/2 hr. Our groomer saw Lucky and was sweet to him, she was doing her own shopping at Petsmart and she asked me questions about the top knot and stuff... later on I found out she was the grooming dept. manager and she is excellent! If she leaves when her husband gets new military orders, there is another groomer in town that is highly recommended. I will just keep using her as long as she is available.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I use Petsmart grooming as well. We always see the same person and she does a wonderful job. I always go over exactly what I would like to have done. Also, I make sure that she has absolutely no matts on her before she goes. I think any groomer would appreciate that, and believe it or not, it helps to speed the process along. I never have to wait more that about 2 hours start to finish and I can usually get an appointment on fairly short notice. I also like that the grooming is done out in the open.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Baxter and Wally always go to Petsmart. they each have their own groomer, and I love them. Wally is nervous, so we do the "express" service. Cost $10.00 more, but the mgr. does everything from start to finish without him having to wait in a cage. we can even stand with him while he is being groomed. they never shave mats, just comb through likity spilt! Must have a special comb. His only takes an hour, Baxter only takes an hour and half.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just got my two back from PetSmart grooming, and they did a great job. $42 per dog, and because it is the holiday, they threw in the upgrade for free. (teeth cleaning, etc.)

I had never used them before, but was happy with the results.

I'm sorry my camera doesn't work.........I would let you see how cute they look!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have been using Petsmart since it open in my town. The girl I'm using knows just what I mean. Said she never had a mommy and daddy interview her before and then bring the dog back later. The last time, she had forgotten to ask me about trimming the ears, so she waited for me to return and we talked about the length. She also knows, we don't leave Puddles for over 2 hours. Dang, i'm surprised she even wants me as a customer.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the buttercup has also been a petsmart grooming kid. she started out there with a new groomer, so the two of them kind of learned the ropes together. i think in that particular instance, it benefitted both of them greatly
when michelle left petsmart, i had to find a new groomer (that wasnt 90min away, like michelle was at her new place!) and i lucked out and found one closer to my house. equally fabulous. when we moved up here, i was referred to a hoity toity place that couldn't get buttercup an appointment in the next two months LOL, so we went to petsmart. we lucked out yet again, and found brenda. we adore her! buttercup had an appt today, and we dropped off cookies (i made cookies last night! and i still have some left, even!!!!) and a giftcard to a nearby eatery if she wanted to use it for lunch time.

like saltymalty, we get in on short notice too, hehe
buttercup is usually in and out in 2hrs, but she's fine to stay longer, if necessary. brenda says buttercup lays on top of her woobie (we always bring the woobie to the groomer) and sleeps til i get there. she's completely oblivious to any barking or noises (buttercup, not brenda, but i imagine brenda is too). and because my dog is a little weird, she loooooooves the cage dryer, apparently. each groomer we have used has said she prances all over with waggy tail when it turns on, not nearly as excited when the hand dryer comes out, LOL. i've watched buttercup with the cage dryer, and she is in such heaven. weird pup. but she's MY weird pup!

ann marie and the "i wub cage dryers and groomer brenda, but not as much as i wub my mommy!" buttercup

·
Registered
285 Posts
i was just wondering..

if you take a picture of the way you want baxter to be groomed.. can they cut it the way the picture shows? i just thought it would be easier than leaving instructions..

i know how hard it is to even find someone to cut MY hair so i can only IMAGINE how doomed i will be to get leise groomed.. leise has never been to the groomer before but.. i'm sure she's due for a visit soon. i will probably take her to nyc though.. i've learned not to trust maryland

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie had a bad experience with a groomer so I now do everything myself
... so I will be thinking of you and hoping your baby isnt tramatized and lookin good afterwards! :D I'm sure everything will be okay... but i would be nervous as well... try to think positive.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well wish us luck!! We are off to PetSmart, I'll update everyone when we get home.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Ann Marie, I know the Buttercup loves cage dryers, but did you know how dangerous they can be? Most people, when they realize the dangers, insist their dogs be hand dried.

There are hidden dangers associated with the use of forced and heated air dryers commonly combined with animal cages. Pet groomers and veterinarians are unfortunately too often unaware of the inherent risks from animal heat exhaustion and dehydration resulting from the use of drying cages. The culprit is of course overexposure to a continuous stream of heated air that can quickly cause an animal to lose consciousness and become comatose, suffer internal bleeding, cardiac problems and respiratory arrest.

If a pet is to be cage dried, it is vital that he/she be carefully monitored and never left any longer than necessary. The dryer settings should never be used on the high heat setting. At a minimum, the animal in the dryer cage must be checked every 15 minutes.

A human observer may not recognize the loss of vital signs in time to rescue the animal, which is why a timing device to shut down the dryer after a maximum of 15 minutes is crucial. This is the only acceptable method for ensuring complete animal safety.

The incidence and frequency of animal deaths that have resulted from the improper use of dryer cages has grown as their popularity has gained favor with groomers. It is vital that everyone associated with the use of dryer cages be fully informed as to the inherent risks these products pose.

Ideally, older model dryers should be replaced with new generation products that use a non-heated and non-lethal air stream to dry the animal. Dryer manufacturers are increasingly focused on product safety issues and have abandoned the traditional dryer design that incorporates a heating element.

Here's a story about a Shiz Tsu that died when a timer on a cage dryer malfunctioned.

http://www.wesh.com/news/4115557/detail.html

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Ann Marie, I know the Buttercup loves cage dryers, but did you know how dangerous they can be? Most people, when they realize the dangers, insist their dogs be hand dried.[/B]
wow, i had no idea! time to re-think some things...
thanks marj, you're such a wealth of information, we're so lucky to have you on this board!!!!!!

ann marie and the "holy cow! add 'cage drying' to 'skydiving' on the list of things i'll never do!" buttercup

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Marj and Ann Marie, our Petsmart doesn't use cage dryers for little dogs...the groomers prefer to hand dry. Also, if you do have a larger pet, they will hand dry if you request.

Kodie's Mom...I love his new avatar photo! That Kodie is one handsome little man. I've been thinking about you two and I hope that things are going well for you.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I wasn't pleased with the grooming. Looked like a $50 shampoo job, and Baxter was terrified when I picked him up. I just wasn't pleased with his face, I took them pictures but they did not cut the tear stains around his eyes as I requested and his hair seemed awful dry. He looked like a hugh cotton ball and his hair has never been that cottony. The worst part was how terrified he seemed when I picked him up and he was reverse sneezing constantly for about an hour and still occassionally. Just not a good experience for either of us.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sylphide's first groomer was the manager at a Petsmart grooming shop and she was excellent. However, she left to set up her own shop in a different town. I wasn't happy with the new manager, or the other groomers I interviewed, so I learned how to do all the grooming myself, and bought all kinds of tools. It seems hard at first, but I quickly got competent. I used JMM's wonderful tutorials to teach me the basics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts