Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on a "girls" spring break next year. I'm going to save my own money and take my three daughters somewhere. Their ages at that time will be 15, 13, and 11. We're looking at beaches. I personally have been to San Juan Puerto Rico, Ft Myers, Miami, Myrtle Beach and Panama City Beach and Newport, Rhode Island and Block Island. We typically go to PCB in the Fall so I really don't want to go there. I would like to go as far SOUTH as I can so it's warm enough to enjoy the beach/sun. Now, I'm interested in hearing any suggestions of places to go where you might have gone. Thing is, I'd prefer somewhere that isn't a huge college spring break party place. Does anyone know if Ft Myers is like this in March? Additional suggestions are appreciated.:cool: Obviously I'm on a budget. We'd fly out of either Cincinnati or Indy and would like to keep the flights around 300 each (hopefully less).

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have been to a lot of the islands in the Caribbean and I absolutely LOVED Cozumel, right off of mainland Mexico. There's a beautiful beach (aptly named Paradise Beach) with a restaurant, drinks, parasailing, water obstacle course type things, jet skis,etc (in other words, something for EVERYONE) not to mention the crystal blue waters.

Really nice people, fun shopping (Mexican vanilla!), and if you wanted, you could take a day trip in to the mainland and see the ruins at Tulum, Cancun (although I think that's what you're trying to avoid), etc.

A girls only spring break sounds awesome...have a great time!

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I live in Naples but have not visited Ft. Myers beach. I have a friend that lives there and can ask her about it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have mentioned, my girls don't have passports and I don't intend on them getting them at the moment. It's an added expense I cannot afford atm. I'd love Cozumel tho!

Fach, thanks..I appreciate it. Lemme know.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I would like to suggest the Hyatt I just stayed at on Clearwater Beach. Your airfare would be low flying into Tampa or St Pete and the hotel just opened Feb 1. They have suites that have 2 queen beds & full kitchens and a pool on the roof overlooking the beach, beautiful cabanas and a great restaurant. You can walk the beach or walk the side walk to other resaurants/shops. Let me find their website. Clearwater Hotels- Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach- Florida Hotel Near Tampa

Also you would have the expense of Passports but Beaches is a very good value for the money. We stayed at 2 different Sandals ( owned by the same folks) Sandals= couples
Beaches=families. All inclusives are a grea way to pre-budget. There might be some in FL too.

Beaches Caribbean Family Resorts for Kids: All Inclusive Caribbean Family Vacation

All-inclusive resort vacations

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
What about Miami? Or somewhere close by? They have some beautiful beaches there. Or somewhere in the Keys..you can't go further south than that and still remain in the continental US.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My favorite spot of all time for families is Delray Beach Florida. There is a
Marriot Hotel right across from the beach,with two pools! You won't need a car as it's right on the beach end of a super sweet Avenue that goes for a few miles and is lined with all kinds of restaurants and shops and you can walk the
whole strip. It's just safe and beautiful and fun. At that age they will want
the "action" of the town.:thumbsup:

mary anna herk and theena

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about Miami? Or somewhere close by? They have some beautiful beaches there. Or somewhere in the Keys..you can't go further south than that and still remain in the continental US.

I've been doing some reading. I'm finding that it says Miami is UBER busy during spring break time. Plus, I went to SOBE once, and didn't really care for it. I thought about the Keys but I'm gonna be honest, I'm terrified of bridges...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Ahh, no passports. OK. Well of course, as others have mentioned, FL is an option, but so are the USVIs. I loved St. Maarten.

One of my favorite websites:

Cheap Caribbean

You can browse hotels and all-inclusives based on price per person/per day. Some allow children to stay for free, as I recall. Plus, I believe these prices are flight-inclusive, so it's all taken care of.The customer service people are great to talk to, too. Really helpful and seem to take their time talking with you rather than rushing you off the phone. Something else to look into :)

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
There's Captiva FL off of Ft. Myers that I don't think is spring break crazy. It was more refined when we went there years ago. Beautiful beach and some of the best shelling in the world. I stayed at a place called South Seas Plantation. Sanibel is also down there.
Was down in the Keys a couple of years ago and the weather really wasn't good - went spring break. We flew into Miami where flights were cheap but it's an endless bridge to get to Key West and very long. My teen son was with us and with bad weather there wasn't much he wanted to do. You could go to Key Largo which is closer.
If you want definite beautiful weather (which can be iffy in Florida) the Caribbean is ideal and you don't need a passport for the US Virgin Islands so you could look at them.

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
I am planning on a "girls" spring break next year. I'm going to save my own money and take my three daughters somewhere. Their ages at that time will be 15, 13, and 11. We're looking at beaches. I personally have been to San Juan Puerto Rico, Ft Myers, Miami, Myrtle Beach and Panama City Beach and Newport, Rhode Island and Block Island. We typically go to PCB in the Fall so I really don't want to go there. I would like to go as far SOUTH as I can so it's warm enough to enjoy the beach/sun. Now, I'm interested in hearing any suggestions of places to go where you might have gone. Thing is, I'd prefer somewhere that isn't a huge college spring break party place. Does anyone know if Ft Myers is like this in March? Additional suggestions are appreciated.:cool: Obviously I'm on a budget. We'd fly out of either Cincinnati or Indy and would like to keep the flights around 300 each (hopefully less).

Ft. Myers is nice but so is Bonita Beach.Naples is a personal favourite (used to live there)and Marco Island is too. Ft. Myers and anywhere south of that is fabulous in March, might be a bit chilly w/ the cold spell they've had. From what my friends that live there said it's been about 70 degrees water temp,so not too bad. Even if it's too cold to swim,it's usualy great for beach combing.
If you book try to book on a Weds 12:30 am,best rates since they're trying to fill planes by the week end,Monday is the worst since that's when the faires first hit the books and when most people think to book....

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Sanibel/Captiva Island, FL is beautiful!(and it's close to Ft Myers/Naples) We stay at the Sanibel Moorings Condos Condo 1112. It's gulf front. VERY family friendly. All you need is yourself,clothing and groceries. I do suggest stopping to get groceries before you cross over the bridge. It's free going out, but 6 bucks a pop going in! We didn't know or do that and it cost us 12.00 once going in to drop off our stuff in the condo and then back to wally world for groceries.

Here's the link to the Condos http://www.sanibelmoorings.com/

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
There's Captiva FL off of Ft. Myers that I don't think is spring break crazy. It was more refined when we went there years ago. Beautiful beach and some of the best shelling in the world. I stayed at a place called South Seas Plantation. Sanibel is also down there.
Was down in the Keys a couple of years ago and the weather really wasn't good - went spring break. We flew into Miami where flights were cheap but it's an endless bridge to get to Key West and very long. My teen son was with us and with bad weather there wasn't much he wanted to do. You could go to Key Largo which is closer.
If you want definite beautiful weather (which can be iffy in Florida) the Caribbean is ideal and you don't need a passport for the US Virgin Islands so you could look at them.
I lived in the Keys for over thirty years. It's not the place to go if your into soft, long, sandy beaches. The keys are made up of coral rock. There are a couple very small natural beaches [just a couple] and they don't compare to Naples beach or something of the like. If you are looking for fun in the sun then I highly recommend boating, snorkeling, all water activities there. Locals break the Keys up into four basic regions and all differ from each other. The most well known, Key West, is nothing like the others. It is the last Key of 106 miles of islands. Key Largo is the first. If I were to recommend a Keys location esp. for YOUNG ladies it would be Islamorada. Splurge for a local boating guide. You would never regret it. It makes all the difference in the world to a visit there! Locals know where to go and how to get there. Traffic during spring break is horrid. If you go during break plan to drive a slow pace and accept it. The Keys are beautiful, but the beauty lies off the rock. If you have any interest PM me and I'll make some recommendations.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Just thinking. If your considering Ft. Myers beach why not just go to Naples? Naples beach and the action on Fifth Ave is really nice!!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since FL is so crowded during spring break, have you thought about going to California?

a few concerns with California. We are definitely beach girls and would want to spend most of the time on the beach so it would need to be warm enough to at least be out there most of the time. Also, my girls have NEVER flown and flying to California for us would be an all day affair with really no direct flights for us. Flying to Florida is 2-3 hours max...

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Stay away from PCB! Destin is nice too, though I have never been there. I have heard that PCB isn't as family friendly as it use to be. COLLEGE kids have taken it over!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts