Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Beastie had his neutering done today along with microchipping, extraction of remaining baby teeth, repair of small umbilical hernia, and testing of tear ducts. All went well, but the vet said his tonsils are enlarged, causing the tear ducts to block and causing the tearstaining. A course of tetracycline compound in 30 days (when the rest of his adult teeth are all in) should clear it all up. All his labs were excellent, thank God, but the doggie dentist operating with the vet said his baby teeth were very sharp, small and unusually fragile. They are hoping that his adult teeth won't be like that, but they are concerned. Has anyone had anything similar to this fragile teeth business? I'm envisioning doggie dentures!
If anyone has any info about this, please let me know. Poor little guy, he's just lethargic and wanting Mommy to hold him.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i can't say i know anything about fragile teeth, but glad beastie's home and done w/ the neutering! for some reason i thought he was older than he is
anyways, hoping his blocked throat gets better and his teeth become strong!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Lots of toy dogs get loose adult teeth (incisors and premolars). They do fine without them if they do come out or have to be pulled. If you are not already brushing his teeth, it would be a good idea to start. Keeping his teeth clean and healthy is the best prevention for dental problems.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Some lines just have really bad teeth too. Look at Tunder he is going to be 5 in May and has already had 5 pulled. The vet said that some lines teeth are just "softer than others" and malts are known for not having the strongest teeth to begin with.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Glad to hear Beastie is doing well and recovering in Momma's lap, that's the best place for him!! Hugs and tail wags from Sisse

1 - 7 of 7 Posts