Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought Beastie back from a new groomer today, because I didn't like the last grooming he got (which was his first one). We can now add him to the circle of walking heads out there. I couldn't figure out how to post the pics here (despite K&C's Mom's excellent instructions), so I posted them in the gallery. Keep in mind that his fur was a little over 4" long when I dropped him off this morning!
Yikes!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I think it is all about expectations... if you were expecting someting different from this I can see how you would be disappointed, but I truly think he looks great!!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
He looks very cute.You will find its so easy to take care of.But if its not what you wanted ,it wiill grow fast. think they look..so puppy like in this cut !

·
Registered
939 Posts
I think he looks very sweet..... It sill grow back faster than you expect and as someone below said it is much easier to care for at this length.

I cut Tiki's hair that shourt once it starts getting warm and HE loves it; he runs around like crazy and acts just like a new puppy until it starts getting longer. I prefer his hair about 4 inches long, he likes it short.

Judi

·
Registered
226 Posts
carol ann: i don't mean to be the negative one and while i think beastie is adorable, i can understand how you feel.

why do all these groomer cut the hair so flippin' short!!! it's like they give a poodle style cut!!! is it because they don't know how to do anything else or is it too hard for them!?

beastie is a beautiful dog and his hair will grow but i will be very disappointed if tessa's first grooming is too short.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by ourprettytessa@May 15 2005, 08:24 AM
carol ann: i don't mean to be the negative one and while i think beastie is adorable, i can understand how you feel.

why do all these groomer cut the hair so flippin' short!!! it's like they give a poodle style cut!!! is it because they don't know how to do anything else or is it too hard  for them!? 

beastie is a beautiful dog and his hair will grow but i will be very disappointed if tessa's first grooming is too short. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62426
[/QUOTE]

Thanks to everyone for your support during this "crisis" for me!
I was too shocked to speak for a while when I first saw him (a highly unusual state for me
). I used this groomer because she grooms my vet's Malts (she shows some of hers), and my vet said she was good. I asked for it to be a little shorter, but certainly not a "high and tight". You can see skin. She told me that next time, she would do a scissor cut, which meant that she could leave it longer (and I could pay extra $, which would be fine). He seems "all head" to me.

K&C's Mom is absolutely correct, though. It's a matter of expectations. I don't think it's a bad cut, per se, just one I wasn't expecting. More communication, more hair next time.

Like folks here have recommended (I forgot to do this), I would definitely suggest bringing a good pic of what you would like. Tessa's Mom - if I could do it over, that's what I'd do. There are such gorgeous babies on this site, I'd simply find one cut like you'd like Tessa to look, and somehow manage to print it out (someone else will have to help you figure out if this is possible - I barely managed to get my avatar changed and post pics in the gallery).
Your Tessa is adorable, BTW.

Again, everyone - thanks! You guys are the BEST!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I think he looks cute!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Awww, Beastie looks cute. That's actually a pretty good short cut. I think some members have posted some pretty radical looking cuts lately--this one seems quite good in comparison.

Short cuts take a while to get used to. The first time Sylphide had a full body shave (with long head hair and full tail) we just laughed hysterically (trying to make sure she wouldn't notice) because she looked like a funky cross between a Chinese Chrested, a poodle, and a Mexican hairless.

We got used to it, and now I actually really like her in a super short cut with long hair at the face, topnot and ears. She looks great. As for Sylphide, she really likes her short cuts--that's when she gets to wear dresses and outfits (which she loves because they make her feel human). Plus, she gets hot easily, and short cuts keep her cool.

My husband and I have learned to do all the grooming ourselves so that we are sure to keep the look we like. We're actually getting pretty good at it.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Beastie is such a cutie pie!!!! I'm sorry it's not what you expected, but Beastie is so cute to begin with
His hair will grow out in no time!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Aaaah. Beastie reminds me of Pico's first "shave"! He was so matted when I got him that I just had him close-clipped and he looked soooo tiny and vulnerable. But I treasure those pictures of him and am in the process of making him a scrapbook just to preserve those kinds of pictures. My granddaughter got me into scrapbooking and we are starting with Pico's first! Wouldn't you know?

Beastie looks just precious......that IS a good cut even if it seems a bit short.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@May 15 2005, 11:38 AM
Short cuts take a while to get used to.  The first time Sylphide had a full body shave (with long head hair and full tail) we just laughed hysterically (trying to make sure she wouldn't notice) because she looked like a funky cross between a Chinese Chrested, a poodle, and a Mexican hairless. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62445
[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's pretty much how he looks, sans topknot, mustache and beard. The tail is a lovely plume, held proudly over....a near hairless body!
You know, I actually thinks he likes this better. He certainly thinks he looks dapper, judging from all the manic barking he was doing to all the passersby in the parking lot of Lowe's today! And, he can certainly see much better than before, without the hair coming over his eyes. Also, I can see his eyes better, and the expressions in them. Boy, do I love this baby!!!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Beastie does look cute!
I'm glad you're getting used to it. I am waiting for Abbey to grow out on her face as her groomer shaved it. I am soooo glad I didn't let her cut her body hair. She said "I just wanted to give her a puppy cut so bad but I knew you'd be mad" I like Abbey's body hair at 2 inches so I'm going to have to find someone who can scissor cut! But I think each dog looks different - some look very cute in a short puppy cut but Abbey looks more like a poodle!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts