Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do yall sleep with yalls babys or do they sleep in a crate???

i'm still trying to decide what to do w/ mine.........i think while shes a puppy she'll be in her crate then i'll sleep w/ her once she gets potty trained! good or bad idea?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I let Peanut sleep on my bed, but I do also have him sleep in his crate or his doggy bed. He doesn't really like the dog bed though...he always ends up sleeping on the floor if I put him in the dog bed. It's totally up to you! I just didn't want Peanut to get too used to sleeping in my bed so that's why some days I leave him in the crate.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Abbey is in a crate, and not happily so
...... she has cried at night for 3 weeks now! During the day she loves her crate and goes in on her own to take a nap but once evening comes it's a totally different story! m going to keep her in her crate at least until I can housebreak her then maybe I might put her in her bed on the floor in my daughter's room.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles has run of the living room and kitchen during the day, but at bed time he goes to his crate. He doen't mine it at all, say bed time and he goes and sits at the door waiting for his treat,

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Apr 10 2005, 01:57 PM
...... she has cried at night for 3 weeks now!  During the day she loves her crate and goes in on her own to take a nap but once evening comes it's a totally different story! m going to keep her in her crate at least until I can housebreak her then maybe I might put her in her bed on the floor in my daughter's room.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51108
[/QUOTE]
Poor abbey!! Can I ask where you keep the crate? I don't know for sure, but maybe if her crate can be in your or your daughter's bedroom at night it may help with the crying. Just my experience with my bf's dog, he felt lonely at night all alone in the living room so he would cry a lot. Once my bf finally put the crate into the bedroom things have been easier on Shrek at night.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Apr 10 2005, 03:04 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Abbey
@Apr 10 2005, 01:57 PM
...... she has cried at night for 3 weeks now!  During the day she loves her crate and goes in on her own to take a nap but once evening comes it's a totally different story! m going to keep her in her crate at least until I can housebreak her then maybe I might put her in her bed on the floor in my daughter's room.
Poor abbey!! Can I ask where you keep the crate? I don't know for sure, but maybe if her crate can be in your or your daughter's bedroom at night it may help with the crying. Just my experience with my bf's dog, he felt lonely at night all alone in the living room so he would cry a lot. Once my bf finally put the crate into the bedroom things have been easier on Shrek at night.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51122
[/B][/QUOTE]

It is in the kitchen, since this is where we are always at! We have tried in the bedroom and she still is not happy! She has a very comfy bed, toys, clock wrapped in a towel (to simulate mother's heartbeat), and clothing that we wear and then throw in there to have a scent of us. But like today, Abbey is sleeping in her crate (on her own free will - crate door is open) kids are outside playing and I'm in the computer room far from the kitchen & she is fine.

I just don't get it! Everyone I know who has a toy dog says they'll adjust. Even my vet says- she'll adjust. But every night it's the same old thing.

We're very sleep deprived - but there is no way hubby will allow Abbey in any of the beds!! My daughter says she's gonna sleep on the floor with her!! LOL

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey+Apr 10 2005, 04:15 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2005, 03:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Abbey
@Apr 10 2005, 01:57 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51122

[/QUOTE]

It is in the kitchen, since this is where we are always at! We have tried in the bedroom and she still is not happy! She has a very comfy bed, toys, clock wrapped in a towel (to simulate mother's heartbeat), and clothing that we wear and then throw in there to have a scent of us. But like today, Abbey is sleeping in her crate (on her own free will - crate door is open) kids are outside playing and I'm in the computer room far from the kitchen & she is fine.

I just don't get it! Everyone I know who has a toy dog says they'll adjust. Even my vet says- she'll adjust. But every night it's the same old thing.

We're very sleep deprived - but there is no way hubby will allow Abbey in any of the beds!! My daughter says she's gonna sleep on the floor with her!! LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51126
[/B][/QUOTE]
Hmmm, I wish I could think of another suggestion. Hopefully someone else here has some suggestions for your sleepy family

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Thanks! I don't even have Abbey in a small crate. She's in a large one with room for food, water, bed, toys, and a pee pad. I know some people don't want them going in their crate but to me it beats worrying if she has to go. Besides, it's very easy to clean up and throw away the next morning. Then through the day she goes outside (with occasional accidents).

Any suggestions would help!! I'll try almost any of them! I'm beginning to think shes alot like my last born who cried all night and day even while I wore myself out bouncing, rocking, and walking!! LOL

This too shall pass, eh?!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi prefers to sleep in her crate. The crate was in my bedroom for the first 8 months I had her. Then I got an exercise pen and now the crate is inside that in the living room. She is fine in it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sisse sleeps in her crate (a small one) and the crate is on the dresser top in our bedroom. As long as she can see us she's fine.....She HATED being in the crate away in another room. Took us about 2 nights of yowling to figure her out!! Now she grabs her casita toy and heads for the crate when we tell her "lights out Sisse".

·
Registered
76 Posts
we're bad parents, we admit it

We only lasted one night of the whining in the crate in our bedroom. Everyone said Tristan would adjust but really, we just love him and want him close to us as often as possible, so we brought him up in the bed.

Usually go to bed about 10:00 and I ALWAYS wake up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night around 2 or 3 so I just take Tristan to his pee pad and he dutifully goes too. Not sure if he would have woken up on his own to do so but that's our routine for the last couple of weeks.

I always had my first malt, Jericho in my bed from night one too. He did pee in it a couple of times but I figure it's no worse than cleaning up a child's bedding when they are in training.

Tristan did fall off our bed once and that had us a little worried but we had put pillows and blankets all along the edge just in case that happened. Now he pretty much stays put at the top of the bed (next to the headboard) and in between my husband's and my pillows.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
At first it was only crates for them at night. And then as they were more potty trained we let them sleep with us. Usually we dont let them sleep with us on the weekday because we have school/work and 2 ppl and 2 babies in one bed can be not that comfy. LOL Sometimes when my bf falls asleep before my babies and I fall asleep, I'll let them sleep with the crate door open.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i like having them in the bed with me.
i cant deal with the crate...neither can our dogs. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts