Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to the Fourm...and a brand new puppy owner. My puppy is 4 months old now. I recently bought her a bed warmer. My puppy was already trained from the breeder to sleep in her little travel crate that she came in. I bought a little fluffy dog mat, covered it with a fleece blanket and that now goes inside her create. I bought this bed warmer that very much looks like a heating pad. I put it under the fleece blanket and she has no idea it's even there. I set it up in a way that the cord goes out one of the holes of the crate and I plug it in. I have used it for a week now. I feel much better knowing she is nice and toasty when she is sleeping at night in her little create....espeically now with the cold winter months coming up.

Anyone own one of these....or use actual bed that you plug in and warms up. I have seen those too but didn't buy it only because she already sleeps in her crate.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I would just be 100% sure that she cannot get to the cord to chew on it and that the warmer cannot get too hot. Unless you keep your house really cold, I wouldn't think she would need a warmer....

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I give kodie a blanket... i would be too scared of using a bad warmer. Be careful with anything electronic... or I would buy one of those puppy stuffed animals that you can put a water bottle inside.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
It's so nice to have you here, would love to see some pictures of you furbaby.

I was wondering about the fact that she may have an accident (pee) and if she is safe from being electrocuted. I personally would probably prefer the heating pad that you warm in the microwave as they are a lot safer than electricity.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have see the warmers also, and I to have thought about the cords. Puddles has never chewed up any thing like that, but there's always a 1st time.

When I'm cuddling Puddles, I have noticed that he's very warm. My fingers were cold the other night and I was holding him under his front legs. It was so warm...do they get cold like we do? Wonder how low the temp should be outside, that would require a sweater?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would never trust anything electric near him. One minute they don't realize it's there, and by natural curiosity they find something or chew on something and you are not there to catch it?

No way. I have plenty of places he can sleep that are draft free, including the bottom of my bed...he loves hiding his face under a blanket and sleeping. That is good enough for me. He has enough fur to keep him warm, and if not...he can't snuggle closer for my body heat. Nothing electric.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Nov 16 2005, 04:52 PM
I would just be 100% sure that she cannot get to the cord to chew on it and that the warmer cannot get too hot. Unless you keep your house really cold, I wouldn't think she would need a warmer....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120291
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was very concerned with that myself. It's hard for me to explain the way it's set up....I slipped it between the fleece blanket and the dog mat...and I made sure I wrapped the fleece blanket tightly around the mat. Then I slipped the cord threw the hole way in the back of the crate. When you look inside all you see is just a tiny bit of the cord "leaving" the crate. The ONLY time it is plugged in is when she is put in her crate to sleep..and she is very good with that. Once you put her in...she's pretty much out for the night. It's only 6 watts. I had my hand on it forever and it really didn't seem like much in terms of warmth...but according to the box with her body heat and the bed warmer it's sufficent. She sleeps downstairs in her crate in the same room with my daughter...and it does get really chilly down there when it gets cold outside.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Nov 16 2005, 04:56 PM

It's so nice to have you here, would love to see some pictures of you furbaby.

I was wondering about the fact that she may have an accident (pee) and if she is safe from being electrocuted. I personally would probably prefer the heating pad that you warm in the microwave as they are a lot safer than electricity.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120295
[/QUOTE]

I have some pictures in my album...I made them "public" so think everyone should be able to see them. But I'm new to all this. So lord know what I did.

I take away her food and water by 8:00pm and she does not go into her crate until 10:00pm and of course by then she has gone to the bathroom enough..so I don't worry about any accidents or being electricuted.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Petco sells a Wonder Bed Self-Warming Bed. It says ~ Wonder Bed's innovative technology warms your pet naturally. Your pets body heat is transmitted to the bed & the bed reflects the heat back. They are on sale now at Petco for $19.79, for the small size 26 x 20. Has anyone tried something like this?

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
I just took a look at your furbaby's album how cute. I babysat my daughters yorkie last winter he weighed 1.8 lbs, I used a hearting pad in his crate. I was able to fix the cord where I had no problems with him chewing on it. I did use a pee pad on the top of the heating pad upside down. I then put a blanket over it. I then put another pee pad at the top and in one corner I took some fleece and made a little bed. He loved it and I had control of just how much heat went in the crate. I did worry at first, but after I used it for a few weeks he didn't need the extra heat. I also had put a wind up clock in there so he could hear the ticking. I know now they have other things that you can use that don't have cords, that might be safer. I forgot to say I never left him in the crate alone. I slept right next to him. In the mornings I would take him out of the crate. He only used it at bed time. Eventually he ended up sleeping with me.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have a different slant on the bed warmer--that's his job. We just cuddle up nice and tight and keep each other warm when Doggie Daddy is away during the week. On the weekend, my best friend deserts me, cuddles up to daddy and snarles when I come to get my share of body warmth. Oh well, just so he's warm.

Samsonsmom

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by MALITDA@Nov 16 2005, 05:40 PM
I just took a look at your furbaby's album how cute. I babysat my daughters yorkie last winter he weighed 1.8 lbs, I used a hearting pad in his crate. I was able to fix the cord where I had no problems with him chewing on it. I did use a pee pad on the top of the heating pad upside down. I then put a blanket over it. I then put another pee pad at the top and in one corner I took some fleece and made a little bed. He loved it and I had control of just how much heat went in the crate. I did worry at first, but after I used it for a few weeks he didn't need the extra heat. I also had put a wind up clock in there so he could hear the ticking. I know now they have other things that you can use that don't have cords, that might be safer. I forgot to say I never left him in the crate alone. I slept right next to him. In the mornings I would take him out of the crate. He only used it at bed time. Eventually he ended up sleeping with me.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120314
[/QUOTE]

Oh good...you were able to see the pics. We don't have many yet since we only had her a short time. A few I took are blurry so I didn't bother uploading those.

Exactly...Chullita is NEVER unsupervised she is still a baby and can get into LOTS of things. She is only in her crate at night, ONLY TO SLEEP and with my daughter in her room. So I feel safe with the warmer. If it's a warm day we don't even bother plugging it in...and of course during the summer months I don't plan on using in. Just for the very very cold winter months.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I just saw in the Dr. Foster & Smith catalog that they have a disc warmer that you heat in the microwave for 5 minutes, then slip it under your pets cover. It says it stays warm for 12 hours. I may have to look into this - Anyone try it? Abbey sleeps by herself, too - since she doesn't have a fur friend YET!
Hubby won't allow sleeping in the beds, so I always feel bad when we're all tucked in with our heated matress pads!
Abbey has begun chewing everything so I won't trust her with the electric dog bed warmers. She chews more now than when she had her baby teeth!!!! :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Abbey@Nov 16 2005, 08:06 PM
I just saw in the Dr. Foster & Smith catalog that they have a disc warmer that you heat in the microwave for 5 minutes, then slip it under your pets cover.  It says it stays warm for 12 hours.  I may have to look into this - Anyone try it?  Abbey sleeps by herself, too - since she doesn't have a fur friend YET! 
  Hubby won't allow sleeping in the beds, so I always feel bad when we're all tucked in with our heated matress pads!
  Abbey has begun chewing everything so I won't trust her with the electric dog bed warmers.  She chews more now than when she had her baby teeth!!!! :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120371
[/QUOTE]

That's sounds good. I will have to look it up...thought I already bought her a bed warmer and it seems to working QUITE WELL
for her. Is there a website for the disc warmer your talking about. Chullita has been trained by her breeder to sleep in her little travel crate...which is fine by me...sleeping the bed with me would never even been an option with my husband

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 16 2005, 09:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Abbey
@Nov 16 2005, 08:06 PM
I just saw in the Dr. Foster & Smith catalog that they have a disc warmer that you heat in the microwave for 5 minutes, then slip it under your pets cover.  It says it stays warm for 12 hours.  I may have to look into this - Anyone try it?  Abbey sleeps by herself, too - since she doesn't have a fur friend YET! 
  Abbey has begun chewing everything so I won't trust her with the electric dog bed warmers.  She chews more now than when she had her baby teeth!!!! :new_Eyecrazy:

That's sounds good. I will have to look it up...thought I already bought her a bed warmer and it seems to working QUITE WELL
for her. Is there a website for the disc warmer your talking about. Chullita has been trained by her breeder to sleep in her little travel crate...which is fine by me...sleeping the bed with me would never even been an option with my husband
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120401
[/B][/QUOTE]

It's www.drsfostersmith.com I just wonder how well it works. I may have to get Abbey one for Christmas & try it out. If so, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Abbey+Nov 17 2005, 08:37 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2005, 09:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Abbey

[/QUOTE]

It's www.drsfostersmith.com I just wonder how well it works. I may have to get Abbey one for Christmas & try it out. If so, I'll let you know.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120521
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks...I'll look it up. I use her bed warmer only at night. During the day she is alone in her play pen while we are at work/school. So I don't leave it on or plugged in. So maybe I will check this out...maybe it will be safe enough to have for her during the day while we are out because it does get a bit chilly where she is during the day.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Hello and welcome! Your baby is a cutie!!

I would be worried that since it's in a crate- if she gets too warm, she doesn't have the space to move off of it. I find that Wilson is much warmer than I thought he would be. I have quit putting him in a sweater at night, b/c several times I have woken up to hear him panting because he is too warm. I really thought he would be too cold, because we keep the house very cool, and he sleeps on a pillow on the floor--near the window!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 16 2005, 08:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Abbey

[/B][/QUOTE]
PetsMart also sells this. It is up by the beds. Its a hot pink color.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Nov 16 2005, 04:34 PM
Petco sells a Wonder Bed Self-Warming Bed.  It says ~ Wonder Bed's innovative technology warms your pet naturally.  Your pets body heat is transmitted to the bed & the bed reflects the heat back. They are on sale now at Petco for $19.79, for the small size 26 x 20.  Has anyone tried something like this?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120310
[/QUOTE]

I have a self warming mat for my kitties, but I have my doubts as to how much heat it reflects back. They don't seem to be too impressed.

Those frisbee shaped warmers you pop in the microwave are the best for puppies, I would think. Lady is never cold so she doesn't need one. My cats prefer a Sunbeam heated electric throw!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.